MSI GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING Z Performance Review @ [H]

The continued sniping and trolling in this thread is about to get some folks vacation time. Don't pout when it happens.

I almost laughed at your insult. I've got a nice 1080 and will probably skip this round and will wait the next 2 years until the 3xxx series come along. Except if I don't get a good offer, than who knows.

At the end of the day, I am using my brain and observations of the last couple of months. The fact that a card has a better performance for the same price as a previous one (remember 2x70 1x80 are only numbers that actually state nothing put out of a context) and it has a surplus of hardware that currently is not being used, makes this deal bad I don't know how exactly.

It's like you buying a newer car with little better specs of the previous model but with a a boost feature which will be unlocked when regulations allow it. Makes more sense now?

Except there is zero proof that this new ray tracing "boost feature" will actually provide even minimum acceptable performance. Early tech demos show just the opposite.

After refinement, who knows? Maybe it will, maybe it won't.

By the time ray tracing is matured and mainstream, this gen will already have been replaced by the next gen, and nVidia may very well be reminiscing about having been able to laugh all the way to the bank. We'll see.

Yes, we will see indeed. For me personally when the biggest titles for the next 12 months already have announced Ray Tracing as a supported feature it makes sense.

Anyway, you've got your point of view and it seems that you do not want to re-think that one.

I'll stop to here, so we do not anger the boss = )

Yes, we will see indeed. For me personally when the biggest titles for the next 12 months already have announced Ray Tracing as a supported feature it makes sense.

Anyway, you've got your point of view and it seems that you do not want to re-think that one.

I'll stop to here, so we do not anger the boss = )

I'm "cautiously optimistic".

But I'm also a realist: I've never owned a desktop ATI or AMD GPU (started with a TNT2 after SLI'd Voodoo2's), and I'm very familiar with nVidia's past blunders, plus their capability to throw polish on a turd via their marketing department. Hell, I owned a GeForce 5700...

I would love to be able to say that...In reality I had to use an ATI because I fried my 6600 GT (AGP slot) because I was still noob in overclocking, and while clocking my Barton I did not see the AGP voltage going up...anyway I worked for an IT company at that time and they send my 6600 GT for RMA but because there was non available at that point they gave me back an ATI Radeon X 1600 Pro 512 mb DDR2...which was slower than my previously owned 6600 GT (128 DDR3) and since owning that one, seeing the shitty drivers and so on I honestly refused to purchase an ATI/AMD product again for graphics.

Not feeling like running out and replacing a 1080ti yet. Still waiting on something performance wise and cost effective...

Actually asked another to back up their claim, but hey!

I asked you to back up yours, you responded to me! (Go ask them, in the meantime I'll be waiting)

My claim is that this miracle rtx technology is so far completely absent.

I should smile more :D

Kyle,

I just wanted to say, that I've been coming to [H] for a god damn long time for my tech news and hardware reviews ... so long, that I remember way back in the day I bought a retail P3-450 I think and ended up with an eng sample with a default 133mhz bus (I emailed you about it and got a mention on the front page!) Threw an Alpha and a peltier on that bad boy and ended up killing it with condensation (woops!) ... replaced it with a P3-600 and managed a pretty wicked 131mhz FSB overclock (and another front page mention!).

Anyway, my point: I've kept coming back here all these years because your news and reviews are second to none, and because you keep shit real in situations like this. So, kudos to you for sticking it to nVidia and their terrible NDA, and thanks so much for the years and years you've kept me coming back to this place!

~Ark

I asked you to back up yours, you responded to me! (Go ask them, in the meantime I'll be waiting)

Well, you came in and made the same claim that evidence was requested for, so I'll keep waiting.

My claim is that this miracle rtx technology is so far completely absent.

This is not what you claimed, and not what I'm asking evidence for.

;)

I feel that until there are games with RTX features, I am going to keep my wallet closed to Nvidia's newest offerings. All these new features and nothing uses them yet, except tech demos.

It kind of reminds of when DirectX 12 hardware came out and there were no games, and then the games that finally used it under-performed DirectX 11 games, even the same games, lol.

Last edited:
Bigshrimp

This is wise.

With the glimpses of the theoretical performance penalty/uplift of all the RTX technologies combined, it could prove a massive leap forward, once titles start showing up. Not really an 'if' but a 'when', but if you have last gen's midrange and above cards (1070-1080ti), it's definitely best to wait for when it actually happens.

Not a fan of the clique youtube reviewer people. Who cares if they get their feathers ruffled.

That said, the 2070 looks interesting but like everyone else said, too pricey. People should be looking at the used market imo, great deals on last gen.

yeah i think ray tracing will not go main stream until it finds its way into consoles, until then it will be just a fun toy for devs to mess around with. which is why i'll wait for next gen+ before i even think about upgrades.

Being in Canada the prices are completely insane. Very thankful to have picked up a 1070, to replace my 7970, for a mere $325 CDN.

I worry that RTX Ray Tracing is a fool's errand. Nvidia has not instilled confidence in proprietary technologies lately and I worry that all the investments being put in the niche RTX market wouldn't be better spent on a less proprietary solution that would benefit everyone.

Hmm... So I'm running SLI'd 970s... I might just get a gtx 1080 for $350 and wait. I'm not big on SLI (well 970s at least) and I'm only at 1440p. Any objections? 8700k/z370

Thanks for the great review!

Being in Canada the prices are completely insane. Very thankful to have picked up a 1070, to replace my 7970, for a mere $325 CDN.

I worry that RTX Ray Tracing is a fool's errand. Nvidia has not instilled confidence in proprietary technologies lately and I worry that all the investments being put in the niche RTX market wouldn't be better spent on a less proprietary solution that would benefit everyone.
This is a good point

Hmm... So I'm running SLI'd 970s... I might just get a gtx 1080 for $350 and wait. I'm not big on SLI (well 970s at least) and I'm only at 1440p. Any objections? 8700k/z370

unless you're trying to run 144hz 1440p i'd do it.. 1080's a beast of card especially at that price.

I would like to point out that RTX (at least the RT/Denoising part) runs on top of DXR, which is an extension of DX12. All DX12-capable hardware can run it, since Microsoft says it aims to be a purely compute extension. RTX's advantage is that they have dedicated hardware for the heavier portions on RT.

Even DICE's initial BFV RT demonstration was developed using Titan Vs, with no dedicated RT hardware, and was not running with any such HW acceleration at the time they showcased it.

Do it fast - stock of Pascals is running out and prices are increasing.
In my local market we barely got any deal on 1080/1080 ti so 2070 is similar price to 1080 here which makes it acceptable value.

Before anyone opens their throats for nVidia's dick and keeps shilling for them based on absolutely nothing, why don't we simply remain cautious as to why they are pricing a mid-tier GPU at previous upper-tier pricing, and wait for actual ray tracing tech to mature enough to determine if the much higher pricing is justified...the next gen GPU after this one should be out by then.
Another unfortunate truth is that you might want to consider washing your mouth out before posting again.

So because you didn't sign the NDA, you thought it was okay to undercut all the other reviewers who did? Because why? You want to spite Nvidia or something?
I'd like to mention that Steve (GamersNexus) didn't sign recent AMD NDA's, but still managed to source early Ryzen chips and chose not to publish until the NDA date out of respect for other reviewers.

This is a scummy move.

I totally get this perspective, I also think nVidia needs a long overdue fuck you.

Kyle's a bit of a douche bag but there's a certain integrity to that. Hell, he's probably proud of it. Not concerning yourself with other reviewers might be a bit ass-holey, but you know? Most of them weren't too concerned about it and maybe it's time nVidia and so many other companies started to get more of the "fuck you" from the reviewers they enjoy pushing around so much. I get you from the "brotherhood" point of view, but I also think it's time for the "brotherhood" to take a stand. This bullshit is only getting worse.

I also think the "outrage" over Intel's bullshit benchmarking is really loooong overdue and should apply to every company that releases marketing wank benchmarks... Which is just about all companies... Facts matter.

I'm "cautiously optimistic".

But I'm also a realist: I've never owned a desktop ATI or AMD GPU (started with a TNT2 after SLI'd Voodoo2's), and I'm very familiar with nVidia's past blunders, plus their capability to throw polish on a turd via their marketing department. Hell, I owned a GeForce 5700...

So you had the leaf blower?

Attachments

• blower2.jpg
    blower2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 0
Do it fast - stock of Pascals is running out and prices are increasing.
In my local market we barely got any deal on 1080/1080 ti so 2070 is similar price to 1080 here which makes it acceptable value.
Thanks for the heads up and time, I am going to go for it.

I feel this card is targeted at people upgrading from an nvidia 970 or AMD 290 or below in performance. Most buyers skip at least one gen. Most 1070 users like myself don’t have enough interest in this card even if the price was lower.

Nice seeing the Gigabyte $499 price tag, three fan cooler, probably the first RTX that makes money sense. Just think, it will lay waste any Vega out there for most games at a lower price than a Vega 64. If these things actually would have NVlink, I would be very tempted in picking up two of them.

Just run through the article and put a censored flag or strikethrough every mention of "MSI."

Leave the "GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING Z" part alone though.

GTX 970 - $329
GTX 1070 - $379
RTX 2070 - $499

Smokin' crack lately, nVidia?

*snip*

The mining craze gave them a taste. Now they're hooked. A used 980 Ti or 1070 is looking better and better as I'm not feeding their habit. Personally, a 5960X and an M.2 SSD look like a better expenditure to me than the RTX series at this point with no games and all questions about future performance in hybrid titles.

Yet another Nvidia rip off. Much like the 2080ti would not be a card if it wasn't hella clocked and cooled. Much like the 2080 is a 1080ti for more money. The 2070 is no different. 1080 for more money. I'm really getting tired of Nvidia's shenanigans.

Regarding your update at the end of the article that MSI wants to have the article taken down. Just remove "MSI" from the article, that'll fix it.
Yeah, I think we were a bit beyond that on Monday. LOL.

Back