MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti LIGHTNING Video Card Review @ [H]

Out of curiosity, what kind of motherboard (specifically, number of pci slots) would you need to support an SLI configuration with this card? Since it takes up three slots instead of the normal two. I'm thinking it wouldn't fit on some motherboards, right?

The motherboards I'm thinking of are the Z170 line, if we want to pick one.

The only Motherboards I can think of that the lightnings wouldn't fit would be mini-ATX boards. Otherwise there should be enough spacing between the lanes on a typical ATX Z or X motherboards.

Z Usually have 2 spaces between their primary slots, X usually have 3 (1st and 3rd slots, 2nd and 4th slots are secondary slots).

To be safe though, I'd use X boards.

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, but I'm pretty out of the loop on current hardware. What kind of X motherboards do you mean?

Would an ASUS Maximus Hero VIII not fit two? Plus a potential normal pcie card?

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what kind of motherboard (specifically, number of pci slots) would you need to support an SLI configuration with this card? Since it takes up three slots instead of the normal two. I'm thinking it wouldn't fit on some motherboards, right?

The motherboards I'm thinking of are the Z170 line, if we want to pick one.

My Z97-WS I have for sale would take both and run them both at x16.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. Sorry, but I'm pretty out of the loop on current hardware. What kind of X motherboards do you mean?

Would an ASUS Maximus Hero VIII not fit two? Plus a potential normal pcie card?

X are the "enterprise" style boards that support Xeon processors. Chipset numbers begin with an X.

Back