MSI GeForce GTX 960 GAMING Video Card Review

You might want to look into some of the recent reviews done here on [H].
From low profile, fanless PSUs, to micro ATX cases and mobs, SFF systems and HTPC applications are very much a part of the [H] community. Would you knock the 520 Nightjar psu because it doesn't compete with similarly priced but standard configuration PSUs?
Nope.

Every GPU has a set of use cases, and its construction and price point will reflect that. To ignore them is to discount the purpose of the card, and comparing it to products meant for different use cases just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. After all, that "value" you reference, is based on a particular use.

Bottom line: Is the 960 a slower card than the $60 more expensive 290? Sure. But do they compete? Nope.

Agreed. Plus, I don't like AMD's drivers. Maybe they work fine for some people, some games, etc. but for everything I play, I've had absolutely no issues with NV's drivers. I occasionally go AMD when they release something new or interesting, because I like them as a company, but I almost always go back after dealing with their drivers. Obviously others have differing experiences, but this has been mine.

Seems like a decent enough card but 2GB is completely unacceptable. AC: Unity needs a minimum of 3GB to be playable at 1080p (with everything on low) and there will be countless cross-platform games coming out with similar framebuffer needs.

Just going from 720p to 1080p adds ~500mb to the framebuffer in Unity. 2GB is simply insufficient for a GPU nowadays.

The mITX version of this card should be quite nice. The R9 285 I have is an mITX form factor and it fits super well in my NCASE M1. A huge chunk of MSI's PCB is completely unused already.

I wouldn't use any Ubisoft game as a bar for what's required for modern games.

That said, I agree that for the way this particular card seems to be limited, it would have been nice to include 3-4 GB. However, if I was going to upgrade an older card, or build a machine to/with a card in this price range, I would almost certainly pick this card. My main desktop has a 970, but I could see myself popping one of these in my living-room machine. It's more or less perfect for these applications. IMO opinion of course.

Perhaps a simple bump to 3GB of VRAM and a 192-bit bus would eke a bit more performance out of these for a few dollars more?

My thoughts exactly

I wonder what SLI/Crossfire setups would pull in terms of FPS at higher res/quality, 960 vs 285. I bet that 128 bit memory bus turns into a bottleneck at higher res. Also cant do 3GB, it will have to be a 4GB card with the 128bit bus, but clocked that high im not sure they will be able to run the RAM that high doubled up.

I had some 1440p performance tested, but didn't have time to include it in the review, look for higher rez testing in a follow-up.

You should have tossed the 280X in for comparison, it's sitting right around the same price point as the 960 currently.

(Eg. 229.99 after MIR for Sapphire & Holy Hell 290 is $249 after MIR, 269 Retail.)

I actually did evaluate the 280X, and the GTX 770 for this evaluation, but ran out of time to include it in the review in the end. Look for those comparisons in an upcoming follow-up.

Oh well i'll just have to wait until 960 ti.with 4gb.
also i don't know why [H] was surprised with the price. 128 bit 2gb. priced just right

Honestly, I expected it to be closer to $250 which most consider the "sweet spot" before I evaluated its performance

Apparently whatever mantle issue was encountered with BF4 was short-lived and you just happened to hit the window when there was one? You're the only site reporting BF4 issues with it that I saw in the comparisons. Then again, you're also the only site that I'd believe actually retests things with new card reviews and doesn't just haul out 4-6 month old test results and call it good.

That being said... :)

At what point was the 285 *ever* hands down faster than a 280? From this very site's review in the 285 vs 280 head-to-head, they were largely dead even, with the 285 being better in Crysis 3, the 280 being better in TR@1600p and the 280, overall, having better minimum frame rates.

The 285 was pushed because the 280 was no longer being produced and the 285 was a decent replacement and people were worried that a smaller bus and chopping out 1/3 of the ram would cripple the mid-range card. It was never about the 285 being faster, it just needed to be as fast as the 280 (which it largely was).

Have driver updates affected the 285 so dramatically as to make it definitively better across the board now? Just curious. My 7870xt is still doing just fine @ 1080p, so it's more of an academic question here.

edit: I ask because the 280/285 prices are so much lower now, reliably so, than is reported here. 280s can be found for as little as $170 after MiR and 285s for $180 after MiR. Sales push those even lower (newegg has the example 280 on sale right now, pushing it down to $150 after MiR).

In our original 285 review the 285 was faster than the 280 in 3 out of 5 games. The 280 won in the two cases where VRAM capacity made a difference, the 280 having 3GB versus 2GB on 285.

The newer architecture of Tonga is superior for things like Godrays in FC4 over the older 280 architecture. This could lead to better performance in newer games this year pushing architectural changes.

I am very proud we re-test performance when new game patches and drivers are released, I'm very anal about keeping data up to date.

From the questionable game selection to odd award I was originally not going to comment on this review, which is not the best I have read here I to say, but ...

This sums it up. +1

Look for the game suite to receive bigger updates in 2015. 2014 was a dismal year for PC games worthy to add to our suite.

Can I suggest that you emphasise a bit more that this is a factory-overclocked card? I expect you didn't have time, but it would have been nice to have seen results from the card at standard settings. Or at least some comment on how much faster in games it is than standard settings?

That was emphasized in the intro, on the second page, in the conclusion and throughout the gameplay pages via calling it exactly what it is, an MSI GTX 960 GAMING video card. We did not evaluate a reference stock card, we evaluated a retail custom overclocked card, this MSI 960 GAMING card. I think most people who buy a 960 (at least from this crowd of people who read our site) will be looking for factory overclocked models with custom boards and custom cooling.

The amount of bitching and QQing across the interwebz about this card and nvidia hate going on is almost classical.

Its not designed or priced to be a high end GPU people, thats the 980. You get what you pay for. :rolleyes:

Or just go to AMD and please stuff it already....

There is a genuine concern about 2GB being constraining for games at 1080p.

I wouldn't use any Ubisoft game as a bar for what's required for modern games.

That said, I agree that for the way this particular card seems to be limited, it would have been nice to include 3-4 GB. However, if I was going to upgrade an older card, or build a machine to/with a card in this price range, I would almost certainly pick this card. My main desktop has a 970, but I could see myself popping one of these in my living-room machine. It's more or less perfect for these applications. IMO opinion of course.

Again, look for the gaming suite to evolve this year, last year was terrible for games.

Last edited:
Yeah, hoping for mini 192-bit 3GB 960 Ti card in the future.

Shocker!!!!!

Maxwell doesn't scale down well. I didn't expect that it would, since the GTX 980/970 is already at the bottom of the while. What comes after based on the same architecture is going to be really interesting, not this (GTX 960).

Agreed. Plus, I don't like AMD's drivers. Maybe they work fine for some people, some games, etc. but for everything I play, I've had absolutely no issues with NV's drivers. I occasionally go AMD when they release something new or interesting, because I like them as a company, but I almost always go back after dealing with their drivers. Obviously others have differing experiences, but this has been mine.

This. Add in MfAA, physx, etc (MfAA now works for virtually every dx10 and dx11 game!) and that this Gtx 960 can go into most every system including pre-built ones, draws very little power, puts it out very little heat (no one wants to get hot due to high tdp letting out lots of warm air next to you), the silent noise level (runs passive in many cases), and general better brand reputation. In the end you have a very compelling package that is competitively priced all around. Some reviews have noted the gtx 970 and 980 have sold possibly upwards of TWO MILLION cards since their launch just 4 months ago. That's an astonishing figure for high end cards, let alone in such a short time frame. Clearly the overall package is becoming more important to people than just a small difference in framerate, and for 1080p which is what cards in the price range are aimed squarely at (and the vast majority of gamers have as their resolution, often lower), this thing kills it.

To comment on the "just spend 30 percent more and you can get a hot/louder 290 with amd" hysteria, you may as well then say go to a faster gtx 970 with many other advantages. The 290 is faster, but it's also significantly pricier than Gtx 960 cards (which will drop over time too, the r9 290 began at $400) while not being compatible with most midrange or below systems and pumping out heat, some noise, and lacking a ton in features.

EDIT: I have to add, also that I think we will start seeing a lot more pc gamers as people question dropping $400 on a ps4 or Xbox one, when they can throw a two hundred dollar card in their existing pc and enjoy better visuals, a bigger game library, and digital download sales for games thru steam, greenmangaming, Origin, etc on a regular basis. These cards handle virtually everything for the vast majority of Gamers. I run 4k resolution but I don't complain about any card in existence that doesn't specifically target me and call it worthless. 4k gamers represent a three hundredths of one percent share on steam, basically non existent. Similarly, 1080p is almost all of the market, with some higher end game sites like Hardocp seeing partial migration to 2560 finally, where other higher tier cards perform.

Last edited:
It's called the 970

This. Most games needing 4gb will be beyond what this price range offers, and usually running higher resolution than 1080p to even need it. 2gb is still plenty for 1080p/below, unless you try to lather on obscene levels of MSAA plus huge supersampling :p, neither of which are what cards in this price range and tier are sought for.

This card is a joke at 200 bucks in 2015. Even with a high factory OC it does not really deliver that much performance and at reference clocks cant even beat the 760 in every case. And with 2gb of vram you are a bit gimped from day one and it will only get worse. People that buy cards in this price range usually keep them quite a bit longer than high end gpu users making it even worse.

And its really not as efficient as some make it sound when you consider a 980 is 85% faster while using only 40% more power.

As a pure gaming video card I see no longevity for this card at all. You might get two years out of it if you either game at resolutions below 1080p or are willing to turn down a lot of settings. Very disappointing. Looks like I will be waiting for the refresh of cards before I upgrade my GTX 470.

This card at most should have been the GTX 950ti and priced around $149USD.

Many people think this should have been the "950 ti" but that would have never happened on 28 nm. Nvidia is all about efficiency on this round and this card has TWICE the power usage of the 750 ti.

Lack of new process is why we can't have nice things. This card is slightly faster than 760 and slower than 770. It's comparable to 680, which is a 3 year old card.

Some of the older games did quite well, even BF4. We were able to average 60FPS with 2X MSAA enabled in that game at 1080p.
"Even" BF4? You sound surprised, as if BF4 was not one of the most expertly optimized games ever developed. Its "requirements to visuals ratio" is second to none. And somehow it doesn't even require 3 or more gigabytes of VRAM, like unoptimized ubi ports.

128-bit memory bus and 2GB memory is flying way too close to the sun imho, I can't bring myself to accept such sacrifices on a mid-range product I'm afraid.

nVidia went a bit too far, but at least they got the 970 priced to sell. Hoping AMD comes out with something that forces 970 levels of performance down to 960 prices by next year, now that would be progress.

For 60Hz if 256bit makes sense for a 4GB 970/980 (which it does) then 128 bit makes sense for 2GB. Now if you had 128bit on 4GB I'd be worried. I totally get the 2GB concerns though.

A friend of mine did a historical comparison, proving that 960 is the worst x60 card in years.

Price at release/performance compared to next-tier card (performance data is from techpowerup):

660 - 230 $
670 - 400 $, 74% higher price, 34% higher performance in 1080p (same in 1440p)

760 - 250 $
770 - 400 $, 60% higher price, 23% higher performance in 1080p (same in 1440p)

960 - 200 $
970 - 330 $, 65% higher price, 58% higher performance in 1080p (62% in 1440p)

In the past, x60 cards made much more sense, because a x70 card offered a small performance increase for a significant and unproportional price premium. Performance difference between x60 and x70 was not worth the price difference.
Fr example: in case of 760 vs 770, by adding 150$ you'd get additional 23% of performance.

But in case of 960 vs 970, by adding just 130$ you'd get a whopping 58% of performance! Compared to 760 vs 770 that is over double the power for 30$ less. That's how wide the performance gap is, its unprecedented.

Percentage of SPs, ROPs, bus width and memory size in x60 and x80 cards in the past and now:

580 - 512 Shaders, 64 TMU, 48 ROP, 384bit, 1563 MB
560 - 336 Shaders, 56 TMU, 32 ROP, 256bit, 1024 MB
560 has 65% of shaders, 87% of TMU, 66% of ROP, 66% of memory bus, 66% of memory size of 580.

680 - 1536 SP, 32 ROP, 256-bit, 2 GiB
660 - 960 SP, 24 ROP, 192-bit, 2 GiB
660 has 62,5% of SP, 75% of ROP, 75% of memory bus, 100% of memory size of 680.

780 - 2304 SP, 48 ROP, 384-bit, 3 GiB
760 - 1152 SP, 32 ROP, 256-bit, 2 GiB
760 has 50% of SP, 66,6% of ROP, 66,6% of memory bus, 66,6% of memory size of 780

980 - 2048 SP, 64 ROP, 256-bit, 4 GiB
960 - 1024 SP, 32 ROP, 128-bit, 2 GiB
960 has 50% of SP, 50% of ROP, 50% of memory bus, 50% of memory size of 980 - the most castrated x60 card ever.

The best part? This: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/introducing-the-geforce-gtx-960
"Introducing The $199 GeForce GTX 960: High-End Performance & High-End Features On A Mid-Range GPU" - high end performance my ass!

If its basically half of a GM204 specs then why does GM206 have 2.94 billion transistors and the GM204 have 5.2? Any chance Nvidia is holding back anything on this card?

Be aware that there are two possible 960 Ti cards in the works. That article nailed the 960 specs and price three weeks ago (and wasn't edited today, I checked on the wayback machine) so it seems credible. It predicts that both 960 Ti variants would have 4GB and 256-bit bus; the 1280SP version to be $250 and the 1536SP version to be $280-$320.

Personally, I would guess that they will soon release the 1280SP as the GTX 960 TI for $250 and, later, the 1536SP as the GTX 960 Ti Boost for $300.

September 2012, GeForce 660 has 2GB VRAM
January 2015, GeForce 960 has 2GB VRAM

Good to know that nvidia is making huge progress on that front. Looks like they learned nothing form the 3GB fiasco of 780Ti (TWIMTBP Watch_dogs still requires 4GB VRAM for Ultra textures without stuttering, Mordor requires 6GB for Ultra textures, AC Unity requires 4GB).

This card is a flop at this price point. It's only 3% over gtx 670 performance, which I just paid $125 for a used 670....and it only uses 40w less at load. So not worth it.

The minute they hampered the card with a 128 bit bus and 2gb Vram I knew it would be a flop at that price point. If they would have atleast kept it at 192 bit it would have done much better. Original leaked specs also had 1280 cores.

Hopefully there will be a 960 Ti, with 1280 cores, 192 bit, and 3gb Vram. That would be the perfect card in the 250 price range.

This card is a joke at 200 bucks in 2015. Even with a high factory OC it does not really deliver that much performance and at reference clocks cant even beat the 760 in every case. And with 2gb of vram you are a bit gimped from day one and it will only get worse. People that buy cards in this price range usually keep them quite a bit longer than high end gpu users making it even worse.

And its really not as efficient as some make it sound when you consider a 980 is 85% faster while using only 40% more power.

This is assuming a lot. Going by what this generation (on the NV side) seems to be about, it's all about moving things toward efficiency, lower power usage, cooler running, while still performing fairly close to the previous generation (with SOME performance improvements.) I don't get the idea that ANY of the current 9xx lineup was supposed to completely destroy the previous generation purely in performance.

To me this is a welcome change. What it means is that when the next run of cards come out, they will perform better, and use what was pioneered during this product cycle.

I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone is saying "Go upgrade your 760 with a 960." If you're already happy with the 760's performance. If you want to go faster, buy a 970. For someone upgrading an older generation, or buying new, while not wanting to spend a ton of cash, I think it makes a lot of sense. If you have a 760, you're not really hurting anyway.

Where this architecture should shine (with any luck) will be on the next round. I think we'll see AMD kill these purely performance-wise, and then NV will refresh, bring things in line, and then we'll have cooler running components that compete on the performance side.

This is all speculation, opinion, etc. but that's how I see it.

For someone like me, coming from a 560 Ti and being budget constrained, this card makes sense if I were wanting to buy new. As long as I can get 1080p30 out of things maxed out for the next 12 months, I'm happy. However if the rumored Ti variants see the light of day shortly, I will probably jump on that instead.

Not all of us can afford $400-600 cards, and have priorities to deal with first.

EDIT: I saw that there are two empty pads where GDDR5 modules would be (one on front/reverse each) - who wants to bet the farm on there being a 3GB/192-bit version in the works?

Last edited:
Yeah, just buy a $125 gtx 670 instead and have the same performance. Thats what I'm saying, it's overpriced for the performance now. If it was $160-170, than it would be correct.

Used 770's go for around $200 and easily spank this card. So it uses 60w more, thats only under full load which it won't be 95% of the time.

Yeah, just buy a $125 gtx 670 instead and have the same performance. Thats what I'm saying, it's overpriced for the performance now. If it was $160-170, than it would be correct.

Used 770's go for around $200 and easily spank this card. So it uses 60w more, thats only under full load which it won't be 95% of the time.

Where have you seen them for $200? Most 770 cards I have seen cost $279 and up (eBay buy it now - I don't do bidding)

Well we can argue all we want about it having a 128 bit bus or 2GB of RAM but we can't deny it beats the Radeon 285 in every game and it does so using 100 fewer watts. Where I work we sell the Radeon 285 for $270 same as the Radeon 285 so that's a pretty big win for the green team in my books.

Well we can argue all we want about it having a 128 bit bus or 2GB of RAM but we can't deny it beats the Radeon 285 in every game and it does so using 100 fewer watts. Where I work we sell the Radeon 285 for $270 same as the Radeon 285 so that's a pretty big win for the green team in my books.
At reference clocks its basically no better than the 285.

I'd go for lower power and new chip if buying new. If I already had something like a 770 kicking around, I would be inclined to stick with it for a bit. I don't like buying old tech when buying something new. I also don't buy used very often with computer hardware.

So what's the expected timeframe on the 960ti's then? I was hoping all 3 variants would be released today.

Shocker!!!!!

Maxwell doesn't scale down well. I didn't expect that it would, since the GTX 980/970 is already at the bottom of the while. What comes after based on the same architecture is going to be really interesting, not this (GTX 960).
Completely wrong. The Maxwell architecture was built for mobile devices like the newly announced Tegra X1, then scaled up, not the reverse. This is evident in the power saving and efficiency of the architecture.

So what's the expected timeframe on the 960ti's then? I was hoping all 3 variants would be released today.
If it's based on the much-desired GM204 (cut down from 980/970), then probably not for a while. 970s are still selling way too well. No reason for them to give up on the easy profits so soon.

Grr!

If it's based on the much-desired GM204 (cut down from 980/970), then not for a while. 970s are still selling way too well.

Grr!
If it's a cut down 970 it would probably depend on how good their yields are. They'd need enough chips that are just slightly defective to open a new SKU between the 960 and 970 level, without cannibalizing 970 sales.

Where have you seen them for $200? Most 770 cards I have seen cost $279 and up (eBay buy it now - I don't do bidding)

New, yes. I was talking used.

Thats true.

At reference clocks its basically no better than the 285.

Yeah they basically trade blows. But I believe the 960 is a better overclocker and of course as someone said earlier they use like 100w less under load.

No timeframe at all, nothing has been said about it. I was just hoping and stating what I thought would be perfect specs for a 960 Ti.

I'd go for lower power and new chip if buying new. If I already had something like a 770 kicking around, I would be inclined to stick with it for a bit. I don't like buying old tech when buying something new. I also don't buy used very often with computer hardware.

There's nothing wrong with buying used, I buy more used hardware than new. I only buy brands that use the serial number for RMA though.....Asus, gigabyte, MSI, and EVGA. 99% of the time I never need to RMA anyway.

Last edited:
Completely wrong. The Maxwell architecture was built for mobile devices like the newly announced Tegra X1, then scaled up, not the reverse. This is evident in the power saving and efficiency of the architecture.
Well something is really wrong with the "efficiency" here when you consider a 980 is 85% faster than the 960 while using only 40% more power. The 2048 cores on the 980 beats the 2880 on the 780 ti yet it takes 1024 on the 960 to beat the 1152 on the 760 by around the same percentage. This Maxwell card has some very poor efficiency scaling compared to the 970 and 980.

New, yes. I was talking used.

The prices I quoted were used eBay prices. Not necessarily representative of what may be found on FS/FT with patience which is what I believe you were quoting. eBay is usually inflated, anyways.

The prices I quoted were used eBay prices. Not necessarily representative of what may be found on FS/FT with patience which is what I believe you were quoting. eBay is usually inflated, anyways.

Thats just crazy. Used 780's on the forum here I've seen selling for $260-$270 or so, and a 780 is way better than a 770.

I actually recently payed $235 shipped for a used 780, but I know I got a super good deal there.

But like I said, I recently paid $125 shipped for a used gtx 670 too, which is just as strong as the 960 and only uses 40w more. I believe 760's go for about $150-160 shipped, and are about the same strength as a 670.

Well something is really wrong with the "efficiency" here when you consider a 980 is 85% faster than the 960 while using only 40% more power. The 2048 cores on the 980 beats the 2880 on the 780 ti yet it takes 1024 on the 960 to beat the 1152 on the 760 by around the same percentage. This Maxwell card has some very poor efficiency scaling compared to the 970 and 980.
You can't compare efficiency based on the # of cores the two cards have. There are other differences that account for the performance gap, namely memory bandwidth.

You can't compare efficiency based on the # of cores the two cards have. There are other differences that account for the performance gap, namely memory bandwidth.
You missed the entire point. The fact that the 980 is 85% faster while only using 40% more power shows the 960 has much worse efficiency.

And the reason the cores were mentioned is because the 960 has no where near the performance per core per clock as the 980 even though its the same exact architecture. Yes I know that the memory bus and other factors play in but that has nothing to do with the overall point of the 980 being much more efficient.

Back