MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti GAMING 3G Video Card Review @ [H]

It's not offensive , it's just silicon...;) Gimped wouldn't be an inaccurate term in certain contexts. I don't see why they just don't clock the thing to 1085. That said, i'm of the opinion that there's nothing underhanded happening here. The specs are being met IMO. The hardware specifications are 1046MHz and it meets that boost speed with zero software intervention. If the specified boost required software, I would be in complete agreement, but that doesn't seem to be the case - As said the "OC mode" is icing on the cake, and while you can make an argument that MSI should just set it to that - and I don't disagree - the are meeting the boost specified on all of their tech specs listed on every etailer website. This is essentially how every factory OC'ed nvidia card works, there is a specified boost speed, and in the case of this card it is 1046MHz. If you go to newegg, the card is out of stock - but the product page lists 1046MHz as the boost, and that does not require software.

Again, I completely agree that 1085MHz should just be default. It sounds like they're using more aggressive fan profiles to do that, which seems kinda silly because the OC mode fan profile still seems very silent - just push it up to 1085 out of the box FFS. You know, I agree with all that.... But as far as anything underhanded happening? I don't agree w/ that argument. It is somewhat of a grey area though. I haven't seen any other card with a special OC mode above the specified boost, which is still strange. And I understand they're promoting their software, and that is also strange and silly. Fuck the software. Just up the boost and up the tech specs IMO.

Last edited:
As a point of interest, I'm running this card very happily on my 460W PSU.

Now the question is, where are they?

I got one last week, was hoping to pick up another in a month or so, at a similar price ($710). Now they're out of stock everywhere, or available at very inflated cost.

Is this card gone, and not coming back?

edit: Never mind. They're around.

I was worried that MSI was being punished for leaking info on their not-for-market GTX 780 Ti Lightning protos...

Last edited:
Got one today from the egg for $700. MSI also has a $30 rebate card if you buy before the 24th.

You have to install a "Gaming App" to get the reviewed speed? Lame.

Seriously? Will you not be...

I don't see this as any kind of a big deal. Anyone that is using some sort of monitoring software to see what their clock speeds are is smart enough to know how to oc a card.

...using some sort of monitoring software to see what your clock speeds are? Honestly, this issue is ridiculous. Aren't we talking about less than 50 Mhz? What's that? 2 frames?

Really? This card is whisper quiet for me. By far the most quiet video card I've ever owned. MSI's Twin Frozr fans are the best.

Whisper quiet @ 1100 RPM. Not so much @ 1900 RPM, but then when it's @ that speed I have my headphones or speakers on and can't hear it anyway. :D

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_780_ti_gaming_review,9.html
90°C VRM temperature :eek:. Sure it will reach 100°C inside a case.

Maybe a crappy case w/ no fans. Guru doesn't look to be using any sort of cooling on the the card aside from the 2 fans. I've got 3 fans blowing on the card w/ no restrictions whatsoever...fan grill...door...nothing. I would think it would be lower.

If you put a second one of these in SLI isn't the top card blowing the hot air onto the bottom card essentially heating that card up?

If you put a second one of these in SLI isn't the top card blowing the hot air onto the bottom card essentially heating that card up?

No, the fans does not push air down the card, they push air toward the heatsink in the card, the hot air its expelled by the side, front and rear of the card thats why most of the hot air its droped into the case.

I just got my MSI 780ti Gaming from a member on here, and with skyn3t BIOS I can hit @1296/7800 pretty easily. Haven't even tried to go for higher yet. It is watercooled.

What waterblock did you use on this card? I noticed EK says it's a visual match for their block. How do the temps compare from water to air? Thx

What's your vcore? Does the BIOS disable Boost? Thx.

Voltage maxes at 1.175. IIRC, that is the top that a 780ti can reach. Yes, boost is disabled.

What waterblock did you use on this card? I noticed EK says it's a visual match for their block. How do the temps compare from water to air? Thx

Yes, I have an EK waterblock. Not really sure about air, only tested it quickly when I first got it, then I had it apart and under water. But water really is the way to go.

Thanks for response! Disabled boost is what's keeping me from trying that BIOS. Not sure I'd do better than current settings (1120 clock, 1264 boost). Also, sort of worn out re: dealing with heat from raised vcore over past few summers.

Thanks for response! Disabled boost is what's keeping me from trying that BIOS. Not sure I'd do better than current settings (1120 clock, 1264 boost). Also, sort of worn out re: dealing with heat from raised vcore over past few summers.

With skyn3t's bios as with the stock bios the vcore only goes up if the game program requires it. The bios also only gives you access to the max vcore that the card already has (1.212v), you cannot get a higher vcore without a hardmod. I got a slightly better oc on my card with their bios but disabling boost was the main reason for me to flash it. During intensive scenes in some games (BF4 MP) I was getting minor stuttering where the boost clocks were not quite keeping up with the demands from the game. Having a set stable clock fixed that for me....been running their bios for almost 4 months without a single issue.

I've been thinking really hard about picking up this card - I really prefer Nvidia over AMD, even though I have the 290x Lightning now.

I've been thinking really hard about picking up this card - I really prefer Nvidia over AMD, even though I have the 290x Lightning now.

If you are thinking about it I would take advantage of the sale. I have two of them without any issues. Neither have any coil whine and run without issues. I am in the process of installing EK WB's on them now.

Nice find, Raidflex. I hope I can find a similar deal around the end of this month.

Back