MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X TRIO Review @ [H]

Discussion in 'nVidia Flavor' started by Kyle_Bennett, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X TRIO Review

MSI has launched a new high end entry to its GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING series lineup. The MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X TRIO has a lot of performance with improved cooling compared to previous GAMING series video cards. We’ll see how well it performs in several games, and overclock it as high as we can.

TaintedSquirrel likes this.
  2. Balthazar2k4

Balthazar2k4 CoreJizzer For Life

Really is funny how no matter what manufacturers do all of the high end boards end up at the same place. My FE version of the 1080 TI has an EVGA liquid cooler added to it and I get the same OC speeds. Clearly we are at the limit of the silicon.

TaintedSquirrel and Kyle_Bennett like this.
  3. Kyle_Bennett

Yep, all about sound profile and cooling at this point.

tungt88, Jza and Balthazar2k4 like this.
  4. MrDeaf

MrDeaf Limp Gawd

holy moly... 1484g... That is a lot of weight to put on a pci-e slot, assuming the mobo doesn't sit parallel to the floor. No wonder mobo makers are using reinforced slots these days.

5. Teenyman45

Teenyman45 2[H]4U

Is it really, truly the silicon's limit or something in the bios grossly capping how much power is allowed to reach the GPU regardless of how many 8pin connectors and dozens of high end VRMs are on the card?

6. Kyle_Bennett

You can wear the biggest tinfoil hat you want, but when it comes to 1080 Ti video cards and what those are capable of the day we published the review, I stand by our statements.

7. TaintedSquirrel

TaintedSquirrel [H]ardForum Junkie

I've had it in my cart all day, can't bring myself to checkout. Gonna wait and see what the holiday sales bring.
    Beast of a card though. Like I said in the other thread the base Lightning model is only $30 more expensive, I was really hoping the Trio would come in closer to $750.

It comes with a big metal mounting bracket.

8. Nicepants42

Nicepants42 Gawd

Which is why it'd be a nice thing to be able to quantify your sound measurements to at least some degree. If you have a phone, you have a (probably crappy but still able to provide numbers) sound meter.

9. Kyle_Bennett

Well we have done this in the past then everyone bitches about it being on an open test bench so the numbers are worthless. So we stopped doing it. We will stick with subjective opinions on video cards and those sound profiles. That said, Brent has listened to a few video cards over the years, so I would suggest he has an informed opinion.

10. Teenyman45

Teenyman45 2[H]4U

Just about every 1080ti caps at between 2,030 to 2,060 sustained frequency. I remember how hard Nvidia locked down the Titan series that accompanied the GTX 700 series. Wasn't the big concern understood to be that Nvidia didn't want to deal with the increased RMA from end users experimenting with significant overclocking...?

From then on, the larger GPUs, much more so than the smaller chips, have seemed to all plateau so closely with roughly the same voltage and non-fan/pump related power consumption. Over the last couple/few generations, We've seen what happens when extreme overclockers bypass those bios limits.

Sure the 1080ti embarrasses AMD's offerings in both total performance and overall power usage, but I still want to see what the GPU can do without an add in board.

11. Kyle_Bennett

I look forward to your results. Now let's get back on topic which is our review.

12. Nicepants42

Nicepants42 Gawd

Yes, Brent writes good reviews that are worth reading; I'm just offering a suggestion for potential improvement, since the last couple 1080ti cards under review have all performed very similarly in terms of clocks (even when under water) and you yourself indicate that temp/sound profile is the key differentiator at this point.

I'm kind of surprised that:

1) People would complain about the inclusion of numerical sound measurements - the fact that so many cards are reviewed in the same test environment should make the numbers valuable in comparison to each other due to consistency (regardless of the lack of precision, lack of a case, lack of a sober editor, etc).

2) [H] would choose not to include such information based on some dumbasses bitching about the numbers being worthless. In my experience, you usually just tell the idiots to fuck off (or in this case, "if the numbers are worthless, feel free to fucking ignore them and move on. Better yet, just move on.") How far in the past are we talking here? Before kids?

13. odditory

odditory [H]ardness Supreme

Yep, the Trio is grotesquely large compared to Strix 1080 Ti, and EVGA SC Black. It definitely runs the coolest of the three plus my Aorus Extreme not pictured, but of all the 1080 Ti's in my stable, my all around favorite remains the Strix.

1.jpg 2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    RaDeonXtreme likes this.
  14. Jayham

Jayham Gawd

My GTX 1080 TI history as of launch goes:
    PNY Fe 1080ti + EVGA hybrid cooler
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    EVGA Fe 1080ti + EK waterblock
    MSI 1080ti gaming X
    EVGA 1080 TI ftw3

The best overclock by far on all of them was the EVGA Fe 2100/12GHz