MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti GAMING X 4G Review @ [H]

1050Ti probably can go higher, most are hitting 1900, it seems the ones that aren't able to keep their clocks at 1900 are the ones that have poor coolers. I really don't think there is much difference between 14nm from GF and TSMC's 16nm, outside of the transistor density which would have a direct link to the heat. And it being such a small chip its harder to remove that heat.

Yea I guess thats exactly my point. NV's cards have had higher clock speeds for a long time so its not shocking, but I thought some of the perf/watt or clock discrepancy may have come down to the process, and that really doesn't look like the case.

Yes, it looks like we can take away one of the primary excuses for poor Polaris clocks (and poor power consumption, comparatively) from the excuses handed out from AMD ostriches (as I alluded to in another thread). I'm kind of surprised we're not seeing 2K+ clocks yet (at least I haven't seen them).

Great review as always.

With current pricing placing the 1050ti and 470 within $10-15 between the two, would you still give the 1050ti a Gold award? Based on the price-to-performance ratio which of those two would you recommend today?

Great review as always.

With current pricing placing the 1050ti and 470 within $10-15 between the two, would you still give the 1050ti a Gold award? Based on the price-to-performance ratio which of those two would you recommend today?
We are doing a review on those two now.

OMG!!1! CHECK THE LATEST WIKILEAKS - NVIDIA AND KYLE ARE IMPLICATED IN PAY FOR PLAY! NVIDIA AND KYLE PAYING CLINTON FOUNDATION TO CONTROL MEDIA SPIN ON 1050Ti!!!1

1776!! TREASON!

Each company is trying to get a leg up and for AMD its very important to keep their advantage and that advantage is the 470. For nV the MSRP of the 1050 line is their advantage, AMD by dropping prices has taken some of that advantage away though.

However Nvidia this round again basically completely crushed AMD in terms of efficiency and production cost. Of course a 470 is faster then a 1050Ti but it consumes way more power and for sure is way more expensive to produce for AMD and also for AIBs. So in the end the price cut in the long run is not going to help. It is going to hurt AMDs bottom line again and in the notebook segment the trouble is even bigger.

Cheapest cards in Norway atm including 25% tax:

MSI Radeon RX 460 4GB 121 USD
MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB OC 181 USD
Sapphire Radeon RX 470 Nitro+ 212 USD

Your 1050ti Gaming X review card: 206 USD.

So I just went with the Sapphire Radeon RX 470 Nitro+ for my tv build (fractal 500 itx). Definitely the most bang for the buck! Only 6 dollars more than the 1050ti Gaming X!

I mean, there are 1050 Tis in Russia that are quite literally more expensive than 1060 3gbs.

Pricing is a mess and it is a question what is the better one between 470 4gb and 1060 3gb.

I understand the need for comparing current offerings against current offerings...

However, I'd love to see one page or one section dedicated to users who want to upgrade from 2-3 generations back.

ie: if you're running the R9 280 or 390 or GTX 970 or 980 Ti, this card will be: no big deal or a must have kinda' thing.

My $.02

So glad I sold my 970 when I did. Would probably have gone down $50 at least by now with the 1050ti out, nipping at it's heels.

I understand this thread is about the MSI 1050ti review, but I have a question concerning oc the gpu. I hope it's not out of place.
I'm experimenting with overclocking. I have a good handle on pcu oc but am having an issue with the gpu.
When I attempted to oc the unit with "Precision", the software indicated I had oc'd the unit but, the hardware monitor I was using did not indicate any fluctuation of freq. even under load. My bios does not allow oc of the gpu. If anyone can assist, it would be appreciated.

I understand this thread is about the MSI 1050ti review, but I have a question concerning oc the gpu. I hope it's not out of place.
I'm experimenting with overclocking. I have a good handle on pcu oc but am having an issue with the gpu.
When I attempted to oc the unit with "Precision", the software indicated I had oc'd the unit but, the hardware monitor I was using did not indicate any fluctuation of freq. even under load. My bios does not allow oc of the gpu. If anyone can assist, it would be appreciated.

Use MSI Afterburner and posting the charts would be helpful. (GPU util, power, clock, temp, ect.)

Nice review. I just bought a 1050ti single fan for a SFF. This review has me excited to see what that bugger can do. I was a little surprised at AMD's pricing. A 460 was way too expensive compared to a 1050ti and I didn't want the TDP of a 470.

Use MSI Afterburner and posting the charts would be helpful. (GPU util, power, clock, temp, ect.)

TYVM!!! That's all I needed. These days I know the 1050ti is no workhorse, but, after oc'ing it, I did beat out a few higher end cards! Thanks again :)

BTW, I did log the test under my screen name here

Nice review. I just bought a 1050ti single fan for a SFF. This review has me excited to see what that bugger can do. I was a little surprised at AMD's pricing. A 460 was way too expensive compared to a 1050ti and I didn't want the TDP of a 470.

Thanks to mining, pricing on the GTX1050Ti has indeed been quite screwball as of late - in fact, I just pulled the trigger over the weekend (MSI GTX1050Ti 4GB GT OC - direct equivalent to the EVGA GTX1050Ti SC, but with an extra fan).

Pluses - no extra power needed (despite the extra fan), supports full-size HDMI (the GTX550Ti it replaced didn't). Takes no more space in the case. Includes UEFI mode (which I haven't switched on yet - mostly because the GTX550Ti didn't have one). I have the latest drivers (freshly minted as of today, so once I reboot and set the new baseline, it's time for some seat-of-pants testing.

UPDATE - I ALMOST need new pants. The biggest surprise so far is the game I bought the GPU for - ANNO 2205. It's a city-builder with a combat element - which can actually take advantage of features in both the DX11 and DX12 feature sets; however, unlike most games that can do so, it's NOT a CPU pig (which is why I can get away with a mere G3258 - albeit with 8GB of system RAM). I had the settings down near the bottom (due to the Fermi GPU I was pushing); naturally, Pascal laughed at me and said "I want more!". So I GAVE it more; in fact, I've firewalled the graphics settings. It's not breathing hard - at all. Yeesh.

Last edited:
Thanks to mining, pricing on the GTX1050Ti has indeed been quite screwball as of late - in fact, I just pulled the trigger over the weekend (MSI GTX1050Ti 4GB GT OC - direct equivalent to the EVGA GTX1050Ti SC, but with an extra fan).

Pluses - no extra power needed (despite the extra fan), supports full-size HDMI (the GTX550Ti it replaced didn't). Takes no more space in the case. Includes UEFI mode (which I haven't switched on yet - mostly because the GTX550Ti didn't have one). I have the latest drivers (freshly minted as of today, so once I reboot and set the new baseline, it's time for some seat-of-pants testing.

UPDATE - I ALMOST need new pants. The biggest surprise so far is the game I bought the GPU for - ANNO 2205. It's a city-builder with a combat element - which can actually take advantage of features in both the DX11 and DX12 feature sets; however, unlike most games that can do so, it's NOT a CPU pig (which is why I can get away with a mere G3258 - albeit with 8GB of system RAM). I had the settings down near the bottom (due to the Fermi GPU I was pushing); naturally, Pascal laughed at me and said "I want more!". So I GAVE it more; in fact, I've firewalled the graphics settings. It's not breathing hard - at all. Yeesh.

When did Anno 2205 go combat? I haven't played it in over a year so maybe I'm behind on a new DLC

Nvm, forgot about the little skirmishes

When did Anno 2205 go combat? I haven't played it in over a year so maybe I'm behind on a new DLC

Nvm, forgot about the little skirmishes

Those skirmishes are useful - you can pilfer useful building materials FROM those skirmishes (besides, Virgil seems to have plenty of it - enough to give YOU grief - so why not make him pay the freight bill?).

Still, let me run the specs for you once again: G3258 dead stock, 8 GB DDR3 system RAM, the GPU I mentioned earlier, with the graphical settings yanked utterly to the ceiling - and it's smoother than Land O'Lakes whipped butter - which ain't supposed to be doable on a dead-stock G3258. (Yes - it's 1080p - which matches my display - which is exactly the friggin point.) I was looking for a GPU that could do 1080p in my Usual Suspects, not require additional power, and be affordable. (That should sound familiar; that was what GTX750Ti was created for.) GTX1050Ti actually does better - and I haven't really gotten it dialed in yet.

1. When it comes to DX11, it spits out 1080p reliably in pretty much any game that uses two cores or fewer - which is most games. In DX12, or Vulkan, it's game-dependent (which I get) - and since I haven't tried DOOM 2016 since the GPU swap, I have no opinion there.

2. GTX750Ti was about maximum benefit/minimum spendage; if it weren't for mining, GTX1050Ti in 4GB trim could say the same thing. (Remember, I got forced into a one month stall due to mining-related stockage situations.)

3. If you have Kepler (let alone Fermi - which I upgraded from) unless you have a mucked up airflow situation which forces you to run your fans at higher speeds, you'll likely have a lower (not higher) electric bill after upgrading. Better performance and a lower electric bill? Sounds like a win-win to me.

Last edited:
Back