MSI Gaming N780 GeForce GTX 780 3GB $490 After $10 MIR

I'm indecisive between this and the GTX 770 4gb for about $120 cheaper.

Anyone know anything about the MSI brand?

MSI has the most hassle free RMA process ever, my favorite GPU manufacturer by far.

370 bucks for a 770 is foolish. if buying a single 770 then there is no point in wasting 60-70 bucks for the 4gb model as you will never see performance difference at playable settings anyway.

MSI has always been great for me. had an MSI reference 260 for many years with never a single issue. had a non reference MSI 660ti for just over a year with no issues and now this MSI non reference 770 for a month.

well my interest in the 770 is its performance in autocad. it benches really well. the 4gb to keep it a little future proof. 2gb cards seem to be at the end of their life. there fine now but pretty maxed. I'm not really sure but I think the extra ram will be beneficial in cad...

I used to think the same as you, but my position changed.
770, due to bus size, apparently can't fully utilize 4gb of vram. To do so, one would need to sli them.

If you're planning to sli 770 in the future, 4gb isn't a bad idea. Otherwise, I really don't think it's the way to go.

I used to think the same as you, but my position changed.
770, due to bus size, apparently can't fully utilize 4gb of vram. To do so, one would need to sli them.

If you're planning to sli 770 in the future, 4gb isn't a bad idea. Otherwise, I really don't think it's the way to go.
bus size means almost nothing here. it could have a 512 bit bus and the gpu itself would still be the limitation.

What about using the code MASTERPASS to checkout with that service and get $50 off (10%).
That would be $439 for this GTX 780!

cant use that with combo deals so cards with free games dont qualify.
It does NOT have free games. Code works with this card, I have just tested it.
It seems Newegg have now discontinued the game bundles for Nvidia cards. so the 10% off MASTERPASS off should apply to any card!!!

What about using the code MASTERPASS to checkout with that service and get $50 off (10%).
That would be $439 for this GTX 780!

Noticed today they took the games off so the code works, Ahh ya!, just in time for the holidays.

did not work for me. it gets applied but once I get to step 2 it says:

There is an issue with promo code MASTERPASS. Please check promo code again or contact customer service.

so did anyone actually process their order and have this code work?

EDIT: hell now it shows the game bundle in my cart and says:

The promo code MASTERPASS cannot be combined with combo deals or gift items attached to products.

Last edited:
did not work for me. it gets applied but once I get to step 2 it says:

There is an issue with promo code MASTERPASS. Please check promo code again or contact customer service.

so did anyone actually process their order and have this code work?
Not me, I said "I test it" but only check if the code applied. Not actually checkout.Sorry to hear it does not work. It could be a great deal

lol now the game bundle has disappeared again. wtf newegg? lol

oh well fuck em they just lost a sale

EDIT: oops I was not checking out with masterpass. problem is now the fucking bundle keeps getting added again.

Last edited:
I have successfully ordered the MSI 780 Lightning deal for $50 more than the OP card. Got email confirmation. The game bundle was added once but removed it and added the card again and was able to checked out without problems.

MASTERPASS appears to work initially, but when I get to the final order confirmation screen it shows as $499.99 and the following message: "There is an issue with promo code MASTERPASS. Please check promo code again or contact customer service."

well I finally got the masterpass thing working but on the final step it says 499.99 instead of 449.99. I fee like I am in the twighlightzone plus there is no was of getting a hold of anyone at newegg. god damn it...

MASTERPASS appears to work initially, but when I get to the final order confirmation screen it shows as $499.99 and the following message: "There is an issue with promo code MASTERPASS. Please check promo code again or contact customer service."
you have to check out with masterpass. my problem now as i just mentioned is that on the final masterpass page it says 499.99 again.

EDIT: lol now I get this Thank you for visiting Newegg.com. We are truly sorry for any inconvenience but we are currently experiencing problems on our server. Please try again at a later time.

If you have any questions, please contact us and our helpful staff will alleviate any concerns you may have.

did you check out with master pass?
me yes. again it will change the price back to 499.99 though during the masterpass process. then when I proceed with the pin number that gets sent to my phone I get the newegg error.

hold time is 40-60 minutes to talk to newegg and even that hung up all by itself after 10 minutes. I have been waiting for instant chat but no one is connecting with me there either...

I pondered the same thing. In the end, the 780 is based on GK110, so I went with that. Seems a bit more future proof.

And the 4GB is kind of useless on the 770 at this point with games.

I screwed up but I can't get masterpass to work unfortunately. I tried removing and readding the card to the cart but it just won't go through I get the same error "There is an issue with promo code MASTERPASS. Please check promo code again or contact customer service."

Ehh, the promotion is still going on with the free games, there's no way masterpass is going to work.

I am so pissed off right now as this should have been a simple procedure. I have been waiting over 20 minutes now for newegg to reply to their "instant" chat. :rolleyes:

lol almost a freaking hour waiting on newegg to reply to instant chat. just like last year the assholes are understaffed.

ok...I did it... I got the 50 off and I had a $25 gift card they gave me as a price match a while back so, inthe end it will be $415 after the rebate! no games though...

lol I finally got it to go through to the final part and then shoprunner messed up. that happens from time to time but it will usually just reload and work. it said i had to re login to it but the nothing would happen when I clicked on it.

I hit f5 to reload the page and it went ahead to my mastercard securecard 4 digit code and I just closed that because i want my free shipping. well they processed my order anyway with the regular shipping even though I never entered that securecard pass and I never even agreed to the terms.

newegg is fucked up

I was able to actually score a reference cooler EVGA GTX 780 SC for $450 after $10 MIR and the $50 MASTERPASS promotion. I think I literally squeezed in an order during the time the game promotions were not showing (prefer the $50 off since I already own the games and probably would've only received $30 for the three anyway). Maybe they'll toss in the games anyway for me to sell, ~$420 would be nice, but I'm not worried. ;)

Thanks to this thread for showing me the MASTERPASS coupon when it worked! :cool:

I'm selling one of these cards. Bought it 11/25/13, can't return it since I sold the games it came with. Reason for the sale is because I want to get into mining, and nvidia cards just aren't good for mining for some reason. I wish they were because I like the nvidia drivers a lot better and wanted to use gsync when it comes out.

I have 2x R9 280x's on the way, and once those come, I can box this up and ship it (they shipped today, tracking # from fedex but no eta yet). If any of you are willing to wait an additional week for the card, I'd be willing to let my card go for $420 shipped.

Back