MSI gaming laptop

xuerebx

Limp Gawd
I'm due for an upgrade as I bought my last gaming computer nearly 13 years ago (specs in my signature). It runs surprisingly 'well', but due to lack of video card driver support I'm getting random CTDs or just black screens which force restarts.

So I now want a clean mobile setup i.e. a laptop. I use it predominantly for gaming, but I do not play AAA games generally so I don't need ultra high end specs. Think Witcher 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4, Deus Ex 2, X-Com EU etc as being the most resource intensive.

In my country (Malta) gaming laptops sold are basically MSI, so my choice is narrowed down (and I'm not buying from abroad given all the Covid-19 transport restrictions). What I've found are the following - and I know these are not the MSI Titans obviously:
  1. MSI GL65
  2. MSI GF75
  3. MSI GF63
Any tips, help or suggestions? I'm not sure what the differences between (1) and (2) are, yet the cheaper one has a bigger screen (17.3" vs. 15.6").

Thanks!

Last edited:
In short, that GL65 and GF75 have similar CPU, GPU and storage specs. The main difference is the size: 15" vs 17", and the GL65 has a 120hz screen (although you won't be seeing much advantage of a 120hz screen in games with only a 1660ti). If you want something close to mobile, go with the GL65.

I'd stay away from the lower spec model. For the extra €600, your getting a laptop you can actually games on at 1080p at higher settings where a 1650 will really be deficient.

As for MSI gaming laptops, they're decent. Most of the mid-range gaming models like these are very similar across MSI, Gigabyte, Sager/Clevo, and Asus.

Those prices are... unfortunate. You're paying literally 40-50% more for those models than you would in France or UK (where prices are already inflated from the US and most Asian countries). Can't you wait until travel restrictions are lifted to pop back to the mainland?

Thanks so much for finding the time to reply, much appreciated!

I'm staying away from the GF63, I was focusing my research between the GL65 and GF75 this week. I called the shop and they told me the GF75 9SD-023 should be the 120hz version (https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GF75-Thin-9SX-GTX/Specification), but the pricing still seems off.

Regarding timing, I need one now plus I find comfort in having a local shop I can just drive to if I have any issues (they're quite reputable). The prices as you said are unfortunate, I've gotten used to high prices for technology items in Malta. At least potatoes are cheap 😂.

I think I'll thus go for the GF75, since it's bigger but has the same specs.

Careful, the GF75 "9SX" you linked above has a 1650. You don't want that one. You want the model you linked in your original post with a 1660 ti. A 1660 ti will be ~30% faster than a 1650 -- worth the extra money.

Last edited:
Reactions: c3k
like this
It's the 1660 ti which I'm getting. I meant to show you that the GF75 has a particular configuration which utilises 120hz, as per attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200418-200252.jpg
    Screenshot_20200418-200252.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 0
That Omen does have a bigger SSD and faster screen (although, again, a high Hz screen is really not that useful in games coupled with only a 1660 ti, and the difference between 120 and 144hz isn't much).

As for build quality and reliability, both MSI and HP are about the same out of the gate. It may make sense, however, checking who has a bigger in-country presence in case of service issues (I would think HP in Malta).

Also, final questions it's worth considering before buying...

Have you ever tried using a 17" laptop as a mobile device? It's really not viable, IMO. I've tried it (am a 6', 210lbs in-shape... weight is not a problem) and would opt for a 15" any day of the week if I needed to take out of the house, even if periodically. You're not going to want to bring a 17" laptop to cafés, trips etc. - I guarantee it.

If it's just going to sit at home, are you sure you don't just want to update your desktop? A desktop will be a hell of a lot cheaper and more powerful than a laptop. After many years of using gaming laptops (thinking I was "consolidating"/saving space in small city apartments) and desktops, my definitive opinion is a desktop is always superior for gaming if the setup doesn't need to be mobile. For example, I have a gaming desktop and high-end laptop at present: the laptop has pretty much sat in the same place since I bought it and acts mostly a backup to my desktop.

Hey, once again thanks for your well thought out responses. You obviously make some great points regarding size and portability.

HP does have a bigger presence in Malta I guess for obvious reasons (work laptops mainly).

I'll be honest, the idea for getting a laptop isn't for portability or to replace a gaming desktop, although of course I'll now be gaming on this laptop given the far superior specs over my current desktop. The real reason is that the desktop confines me to my office, whereas I can set the laptop in the living room or the kitchen area and I get to spend more time with my wife. If I were younger and single, I'd just build a desktop PC like I had done before because I know it's more reliable, easier to change parts and all round better for gaming.

Hey, once again thanks for your well thought out responses. You obviously make some great points regarding size and portability.

HP does have a bigger presence in Malta I guess for obvious reasons (work laptops mainly).

I'll be honest, the idea for getting a laptop isn't for portability or to replace a gaming desktop, although of course I'll now be gaming on this laptop given the far superior specs over my current desktop. The real reason is that the desktop confines me to my office, whereas I can set the laptop in the living room or the kitchen area and I get to spend more time with my wife. If I were younger and single, I'd just build a desktop PC like I had done before because I know it's more reliable, easier to change parts and all round better for gaming.

I'm was in a similar situation. Got my last gaming laptop (after saying I wouldn't get another) since I thought I could move it around to both work and play games around my wife while she reads, watches TV etc. In reality, my laptop sits in our lounge mostly unused, and I still game on my desktop in our office. The only benefit I've found is I can now work from home away from (read: in another room) the home office. I'd actually suggest getting a gaming desktop, then a cheap and light non-gaming laptop to move around with (what I should have done) -- it will likely still be cheaper than a gaming laptop. But I do understand the benefit of only having one PC.

Last edited:
Back