MSI gaming cards are a joke and the warranty is a joke

Then why does EVGA and other company promote folding? TVs run for 10+ years in hospitals and they are on 24-7. Ambulances last of years and they are constantly ran hard.
"Anything run at %100 load will not last, their 3 year warranty" lots of people on this forum have been mining or folding on cards for over 3 years and their cards are still going.
Bad overclocks,bad design or bad power supplies are more to blame for killing cards.

-1 MSI 280X Gaming fan died today, or is dying, did contact RMA support to see if they can swap out JUST the fan they said no since they are not a repair center they cannot, however they are checking on if they actually have cards there to RMA this one against.

lol came back to update and digital viper X is having the same problem as me.

The people at msi were willing to refund me $400, but would not refund my tax or my shipping. I found an xfx 280x locally and bought it, then the morons at msi decided to send me a replacement card and cancel my refund! They said i didnt claim the refund fast enough.

Of course, right when i received my refurb msi card around feb 6th (i think? cant remember), my other msi cards fan pretty much stopped working! So i sent that in feb 10th, they claimed i would get a "rush RMA", apparently rush RMA means nothing to these idiots. They received the card feb 13th and now its march 3rd and i still dont even have a shipping notice for my new card.

MSI parts, and warranties, can go eat a dick

lol came back to update and digital viper X is having the same problem as me.

The people at msi were willing to refund me $400, but would not refund my tax or my shipping. I found an xfx 280x locally and bought it, then the morons at msi decided to send me a replacement card and cancel my refund! They said i didnt claim the refund fast enough.

Of course, right when i received my refurb msi card around feb 6th (i think? cant remember), my other msi cards fan pretty much stopped working! So i sent that in feb 10th, they claimed i would get a "rush RMA", apparently rush RMA means nothing to these idiots. They received the card feb 13th and now its march 3rd and i still dont even have a shipping notice for my new card.

MSI parts, and warranties, can go eat a dick

yup, friend of mine had both of his MSI 280x's fail, another friendf and I sold ours, and the guy who bought them claimed one had failed too.

I'm done with MSI Twin Death cooling solutions :p

In contrast, my Sapphire Dual X ran 6 months straight @ nearly 100% without a problem.

Bought 2 MSI GTX 680 cards for SLI in Nov 2012. I had one go out after about a year of use. The HDMI on the RMA replacement card didn't work so I RMA'd it again. Both cards are now sold but I hear they're still working. The RMA time was about 3 weeks each time I had to do it.

My MSI R9 290 GAMING has been without issue so far. I went with MSI again because the RMA depot is 20 minutes away from where I live.

Wow these shitheads! i just contacted them yesterday asking what was holding my RMA up, now they email me back this morning saying they ran out of cards again! (This was after the moron on the phone ASSURED me that they had a ton of replacement inventory for my broken-fan RMA) They just fucking offered me $265! AGAIN!!!

These threads are so stupid. Always ends up with BS like "Never buy them again " "Company owes them a 290x CROSSFIRE OGJLSJDFLS"

These threads are so stupid. Always ends up with BS like "Never buy them again " "Company owes them a 290x CROSSFIRE OGJLSJDFLS"

No, these threads are a good indicator as to what companies to avoid when looking for hardware.

I've never had to deal with MSI customer service and it reads like I don't ever want to. FUBAR

Are you fucking joking? MSI pulled some major bullshit here, and then proceeded to pull it AGAIN, on the SAME CUSTOMER.

No, these threads are a good indicator as to what companies to avoid when looking for hardware.

It's not that simple though. I see them more as indicative of a certain region to avoid a brand. RMA CS seems to vary significantly between different areas of the same country, let alone different ones (or continents) - see the Asus threads that crop up and how they are almost always in relation to the Jeffersonville, Indiana RMA centre.

This doesn't really sound THAT bad. Usually if I hate a company that much, I'd gladly accept 90% of MSRP to get out. I think underneath it all, people are expecting more to "make the guy whole" which still comes back to mining and inflated value. Customer is always right mentality and all, but at this level it's the kind of thing that will put a company out of business. I don't know. I guess I'm a tweener on this. Put it this way, since I have an MSI Nvidia card, with no intention of mining, and would gladly accept 90% value if they really got my goat and just write them off forever afterwards, I'm not worried.

Well crap, one of my MSI 280x just died as well. Fans will spin at about 1/10th of the speed and the card boils out. Going to contact support tonight... might have to bust open a 6 pack to deal with this.

Ford has a racing team. That doesn't mean that you can drive your Mustang like you are in the 24 hour La Mons and expect any kind of service from your warranty.

I think there are exceptions. You can bring your stock Mustang to the the drag way or circle track and it should be fine. If your abusing it by speed shifting and missing shifts or running nitrous, then that us unfair to expect warranty.
Same thing with video cards. You should be able to use your card for folding or mining and it should last the warranty period. People have been mining and folding on the same card for years. If your card can't do it then it's a bad design and the company should warranty it.
I wouldn't expect warranty if I killed the card due to a bad overclock or messing with a aftermarket cooler.

Well crap, one of my MSI 280x just died as well. Fans will spin at about 1/10th of the speed and the card boils out. Going to contact support tonight... might have to bust open a 6 pack to deal with this.

According to some people on this forum you only deserve $265, cuz its not MSIs fault that they sell shit products that retailers are free to mark up!

Ford has a racing team. That doesn't mean that you can drive your Mustang like you are in the 24 hour La Mons and expect any kind of service from your warranty.

La Mons? Before you go any further with your car analogy perhaps you meant Le Mans

yup, friend of mine had both of his MSI 280x's fail, another friendf and I sold ours, and the guy who bought them claimed one had failed too.

I'm done with MSI Twin Death cooling solutions :p

In contrast, my Sapphire Dual X ran 6 months straight @ nearly 100% without a problem.

The fans on MSI 280X Gamer cards suck. Did your fans begin to leak some kind of fluid before failing? I own 6 of them and I know it's a matter of time before the fans will fail. One started leaking about a month in, but a buddy who has more already has issues with a few.

@0055

MSI forum mods consider mining a "questionable" activity. The package doesn't state DO NOT USE FOR MINING. MSI may even deny an RMA. I'd like to see them do this and get bashed to hell.

You should be able to use your card for folding or mining and it should last the warranty period. People have been mining and folding on the same card for years. If your card can't do it then it's a bad design and the company should warranty it

Anyone who knows even the smallest amount about anything in the world would know that not all things are created equal. There are going to be cards of the same model with varying qualities. Just because someone has had good luck, doesn't mean that you will.

If your friend can eat nothing but McDonalds and still only weigh 120lbs, don't expect to be able to to the same thing.

Anyone who knows even the smallest amount about anything in the world would know that not all things are created equal. There are going to be cards of the same model with varying qualities. Just because someone has had good luck, doesn't mean that you will.

If your friend can eat nothing but McDonalds and still only weigh 120lbs, don't expect to be able to to the same thing.

All video cards should be built to a standard that can handle long term mining or folding. If a card dies mining it is a bad design or a lemon.
Video cards are advertised to do more than gaming. I am going to say it again . Video card companies have folding teams. They are promoting it.

La Mons? Before you go any further with your car analogy perhaps you meant Le Mans

Fell off my chair after reading this. lol.

Anyways, I never owned MSI products but was considering to get Twin Frozr. I should look for something else...

The MSI user forums team is not sponsored by MSI. It's a team created by users of the forum.

All GPUs will die prematurely if run 24/7. I have had great luck with MSI GPUs.

EVGA promotes it https://www.evga.com/folding/
If MSI is discouraging (not that they are) it then I would buy from a different vendor that makes better quality cards. Sony play station also was capable of folding and Sony supported it.

Throw me in to the mix here

Bought two 280x MSI 3G cards for a crossfire setup, fans died on one of them... I RMAed it and got the same damned e-mail

needless to say I immediately rejected their offer as I want to keep what I paid for DUAL MSI 280x in crossfire. If they offered me the actual market value not what they are claiming to be market value that would be fair so I can then re-purchase a MSI 280x to match the one I have existing!

Here is what was sent to me:

Sent: &#8206;3/&#8206;4/&#8206;2014 4:44 PM
To: me of course
Subject: RRD14005239
We apologize for any inconvenience, but we are currently out of stock of suitable or comparable replacements for your unit(s). In this case we will need to provide you with a refund based on the market value of $265.00 Will you accept this refund?

Grace Liao |Service & Support Dept| [email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>
MSI Computer Corp. | P: 626-913-0828 x221| F: 626-581-1551 us.msi.com<http://us.msi.com/>|www.msimobile.com<http://www.msimobile.com/>| Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/MSI.ComputerUS> & Twitter<http://twitter.com/msiUSA>
[cid:[email protected]]
DISCLAIMER
This e-mail message may contain confidential and privileged information and is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by email and delete the original message.

This makes me think they are cashing in repairing the cards, repackaging them and then selling them at higher costs to make more money which would be completely unfair.

Even if they aren't doing that they are completely screwing their customers and quickly making me lose faith in their brand. I work as a systems administrator and have built numerous systems using MSI motherboards and other parts (18 this year so far, not to mention past years), even in my home PCs (hell check my signature, my sons PC has a GD65, my HTPC has a MSI mobo and MSI GTX 680 video card).... if this is how they would treat me as a customer I would have to say I will have to look elsewhere for both my home and Business needs!!

Threads like this makes the list of GPU companies I would buy from shorter and shorter. Really glad I didn't go for the 780 Lightening when I was buying my card. I will probably take them off my mental trusted mobo vendor list as well due to this.

To the people who are being fucked over by MSI support I hope everything works out of you all, this is terrible.

To the people defending this bullshit: You people are why companies get away with so much shit in the tech industry.

Threads like this makes the list of GPU companies I would buy from shorter and shorter. Really glad I didn't go for the 780 Lightening when I was buying my card. I will probably take them off my mental trusted mobo vendor list as well due to this.

To the people who are being fucked over by MSI support I hope everything works out of you all, this is terrible.

To the people defending this bullshit: You people are why companies get away with so much shit in the tech industry.

There was honestly nothing wrong with their first offer, however after seeing the jerking around they've been giving him and others, yeah MSI can suck it.

I also think its hilarious that people's fans are dying, like this is news. I've been saying how shitty MSI fans have been since I've joined [H], and nobody listened, now you sure as shit do lol.

There was honestly nothing wrong with their first offer, however after seeing the jerking around they've been giving him and others, yeah MSI can suck it.

I also think its hilarious that people's fans are dying, like this is news. I've been saying how shitty MSI fans have been since I've joined [H], and nobody listened, now you sure as shit do lol.

How is offering less than MSRP reasonable? If they're going to offer a refund it should be for the MSRP of the card or the current retail value of a new one, if prices have dropped below MSRP. I'd tell them to go pound sand with that offer as well.

How is offering less than MSRP reasonable? If they're going to offer a refund it should be for the MSRP of the card or the current retail value of a new one, if prices have dropped below MSRP. I'd tell them to go pound sand with that offer as well.

Only in the fantasy land of [H] do things like "Depreciation" and "Used" not compute. Going by your logic, I should take my truck bad to Ford and DEMAND MSRP for it, because 1st gear stuck.

I can even go one further, I had to RMA my JL 6w3 Stealthbox *cute little guy, hits like Mike Tyson* and the horror, they were backordered and issued me a credit of $189, but but I paid $220 the fucking horror; I used something it broke and I didn't get all my money, someone call 911!

Last edited:
Only in the fantasy land of [H] do things like "Depreciation" and "Used" not compute. Going by your logic, I should take my truck bad to Ford and DEMAND MSRP for it, because 1st gear stuck.

If you had a problem with 1st gear on your truck within the warranty period and they can't fix it then in most cases (depending on your location's lemon laws) they are *REQUIRED* to refund you your money or replace the car. So yeah, if you had a truck that had 5000 miles on it and they couldn't fix it you'd be able to demand a refund of what you paid for your truck.

*Keep in mind, we are talking about within warranty period here.

If you had a problem with 1st gear on your truck within the warranty period and they can't fix it then in most cases (depending on your location's lemon laws) they are *REQUIRED* to refund you your money or replace the car. So yeah, if you had a truck that had 5000 miles on it and they couldn't fix it you'd be able to demand a refund of what you paid for your truck.

*Keep in mind, we are talking about within warranty period here.

You get lemon lawed *varies per state* after 3 attempts to correct the same problem. Their first offer, everyone went ape shit and this is where my point lies. As you can see over the course of dealings, they offered him what $400?

I can even go one further, I had to RMA my JL 6w3 Stealthbox *cute little guy, hits like Mike Tyson* and the horror, they were backordered and issued me a credit of $189, but but I paid $220 the fucking horror; I used something it broke and I didn't get all my money, someone call 911!

That car analogy...Is stupid. Let's go with it though. If your gearbox broke due to an assembly or part issue entirely at the fault of Ford and they only offered to pay part of the cost of repair would you just go "Eh no problem, it was used" or would you be pissed off that they're not standing behind their products? Or what is your engine blew out due to Ford using the wrong uhh...I don't know wrong something that would cause an engine to completely break (I don't really know that much about cars so bear with me). Would you be cool with them only offering to pay for part of the cost of a brand new one just because it is used even though you did nothing wrong and it is 100% their fault? Or to turn this another way: What if it was the cause is something from the dealership you bought it from? Would you stand for them charging you part of the cost of the parts and labor? And to add perspective: Assume this happened only a few weeks after you bought the truck.

I have seen somewhere or another that every large supplier of cards has bad RMA polices or are incompetent or this or that. Apparently none of them are worth buying from anymore. I've had some bad experiences lately myself, but luckily was able to send back to where I bought them. Scares the hell out of me that I just bought an MSI GTX780.:(

R9 280x MSRP is approximately $300. Devaluation due to being used (I'm assuming OP has had this card for quite a while, as he did state he has made a profit off of it), and $265 is quite reasonable IMO. They should have asked the OP if he would accept the refund or wait for replacement card first though.

Agree 100%. This is probably how MSI came up with their number.

IF you bought the card for $100k on ebay, because it had a developer signature on it or something, would you expect MSI to refund you $100k for the card? Good luck with that.

IF you bought the card for $100k on ebay, because it had a developer signature on it or something, would you expect MSI to refund you $100k for the card? Good luck with that.

except he bought it from an etailer / retailer that is probably a recognized vendor, If there is a problem with pricing, MSI needs to sort it out with their vendors, it's not his fault the vendors jacked up the price, and in the warranty a refund is not even mentioned. Replacement of card or equivalent is.

I got lucky with mine in that Amazon took it back, though the only option was a refund but it's better than having a really crappy paperweight. Now here is to hoping my other 2 MSI 280xs don't go on me...

I got lucky with mine in that Amazon took it back, though the only option was a refund but it's better than having a really crappy paperweight. Now here is to hoping my other 2 MSI 280xs don't go on me...

IF you want an MSI card for mining, best option is to rip off the factory fans and stick on 2 92mm fans before you start mining :p

WTF are you even talking about?

Yes you definitely have a good argument when youre forced to resort to ridiculous hyperbole to make any point :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Do you understand how products work in this country? you arent allowed to sell them without a warranty, a warranty is not just "we cant replace the card but we can offer you a pitiful refund!". If the card has a market value of $400 everywhere (as in, the vendors that MSI chooses to sell to wont sell the card for under $400!), and the manufacturer cannot repair cards because their cards fast enough because they are dying en masse due to them trying to increase margins by buying absolute shit components, then they dont get to just get to fuck over the consumer.

Its cool if you dont know how consumer laws work at all, just dont preach about what is and isnt acceptable as if you have any knowledge of the subject.

MSI is garbage I had some 570's die on me twice and it was like pulling teeth for them to replace them. They tried to claim it was my psu even tho I have a gold rated seasonic x-series psu. The last one they gave me they said "this is the last one you get". lol damn straight it's the last one. Went with an asus card and haven't had one problem in about a year. Two RMA's and that's all you get with MSI. Even though the cards they send you are already broken.

Back