MSI gaming 5 Z97 motherboard. Won't POST!!

I bought a brand new MSI gaming 5 z97 mobo and installed all my new components last night including a i7 4790k. Once I had everything installed it would not post. No led codes. No lights or fans at all. Except....one very tiny blue LED near the battery flickered only when I clicked they main switch from OFF to ON on the back of PSU. That's it!
I tried doing it outside of my case. Without RAM. With a different PSU. With only one power cord plugged into the motherboard (the main without the 8-pin CPU). And nothing worked.
Can any of you intelligent folks with experience with this board help me out?

Sorry to hear that, it's a bummer when new gear won't work.

Pull the CPU and inspect the pins in the socket for any damage.
Then try again with the CPU re-installed, and only the 24 pin & 8 pin CPU power connections.

No other cables connected to the mobo.

Use the built-in video instead of a video card.

Edit:

No other cards installed in the PCI or PCI-E slots either.
You want a bare minimum config until you get it running.

Only one stick of RAM too, and trade them out to try each
one by itself.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. I tried all that. Still nothing. Just that small flicker for a micro second from the tiniest blue LED.

Dunno then, it may be a defective mobo.

Did you pull off all of the case wiring for USB etc?

Make sure you have the correct pins for the power switch too.

Edit:

Thought of a couple more things....

Check the IO shield to be sure none of the grounding fingers ended up inserted inside a USB or other port.

Double check and be sure you don't have any stand-offs in the case that don't match up with mounting holes
in the mobo. I've seen even experienced techs make that mistake.

Last edited:
Sounds like a defective motherboard to me. You've tried just about everything you can to limit it just to the MB and absolutely nothing changed. Hope you get it working or when you exchange it you don't get a DOA.

LOL, at least your mb is a dud from the get go. No questions there, its a DOA,Best option, run to the store you got it from and either exchange or return for something new. Its the smart option. If it was a online order, always package properly and take images of the pins, and any visible traces to prevent any hassle with the return/exchange

Back