MSI Expected to Overtake Samsung in the Curved Monitor Market

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
A recent report from Digitimes claims that MSI could soon steal the rather specific title of "world's largest supplier of curved gaming monitors" from Samsung in 2019. While flat monitors have dominated "gaming monitor" sales in the past, MSI claims that curved monitors accounted for about 60% of all gaming monitor shipments in 2018, and could rise to 66.7% in 2019. The gaming hardware market is still growing, even as the PC market continues to shrink as a whole, so its not surprising to see the big manufacturers increase their focus on their enthusiast and "gaming" lineups.

The company's motherboard business is currently facing issues including CPU shortages and decreasing demand. Despite Intel having already promised to ease the tight supply by the end of the second quarter, MSI still expects overall motherboard shipments to shrink by over 10% in 2019. MSI shipped around six million motherboards in 2018 and is expected to maintain a similar volume in 2019. Meanwhile, MSI is expected to finish digesting its graphics card inventory in the second quarter and begin promoting Nvidia's new cards to help increase its sales. MSI is expected to deliver around four million graphics cards in 2019, about the same level as in the past couple of years

To me I still dont see the benefit of the curved. Maybe if it was a giant screen. 27" it's just not to me.. I think Samsung could do whatever to keep their spot. but who knows. time will tell

To me I still dont see the benefit of the curved. Maybe if it was a giant screen. 27" it's just not to me.. I think Samsung could do whatever to keep their spot. but who knows. time will tell

Curved does help either really big or really wide monitors. Ultrawide monitors around 34" and bigger definitely get a benefit so you don't have to turn your head around as much. TV's IMHO are more of a gimmick when it comes to curve because you sit too far for any potential benefit to matter.

my main monitor is a samsung 32" 2560x1440 monitor and its great. I wonder what monitors will be like when i actually get around to replacing it

my main monitor is a samsung 32" 2560x1440 monitor and its great. I wonder what monitors will be like when i actually get around to replacing it

Still running a 22" 1680x1050 as my main. Told myself I'd replace it when it dies 4 or 5 years ago. The thing's built like a brick shithouse.

CHG70 32" looks beautiful. Just took back an optix for the second time with refresh tearing issues.

So for me, I would recommend Sam over msi

Still running a 22" 1680x1050 as my main. Told myself I'd replace it when it dies 4 or 5 years ago. The thing's built like a brick shithouse.

At that rate you will never upgrade. I was going the same route a while back with my Apple 20" Aluminum HD Cinema monitor (1680x1050). I had replaced it with a 30" Dell UltraSharp (2560x1600) and now 32" LG 4K in my sig. That Apple monitor still kicks around and I used it as a test display when I build or repair computers (got a cheap multi adapter to convert about any port to DVI) which is handy due to smaller size; Dell 30" went to a friend who still has dual link DVI as it's the only input on it. Monitors definitely have a much longer useful lifespan than computers, especially if you splurged to get a nicer one.

Get one of the cheap 22 “ 1920x1080 glossy IPS Dell monitors at least for 100 bucks. Life is too short to use a junk grade 1680x1050 panel. You’ll be glad you did.

curved-swords-jpg.jpg

At that rate you will never upgrade. I was going the same route a while back with my Apple 20" Aluminum HD Cinema monitor (1680x1050). I had replaced it with a 30" Dell UltraSharp (2560x1600) and now 32" LG 4K in my sig. That Apple monitor still kicks around and I used it as a test display when I build or repair computers (got a cheap multi adapter to convert about any port to DVI) which is handy due to smaller size; Dell 30" went to a friend who still has dual link DVI as it's the only input on it. Monitors definitely have a much longer useful lifespan than computers, especially if you splurged to get a nicer one.

Yep, it's amazing how long displays last. I used a ~$400 20" Dell LCD for about 10 years before it finally gave up the ghost. I added a ~$500 24" HP about halfway through that time and ran with a dual monitor setup. When the 20" Dell died, what did I do? I replaced it with a used 30" Dell 3007WFP-HC. A monitor built in 2007.

When either one of these dies, I plan on replacing both with an ultrawide 144Hz IPS. It may cost me $800-1000, but for something I'll likely use literally every day for the next decade that's money well spent.

Told myself I'd replace it when it dies 4 or 5 years ago

My old 22" CRT screen lasted until last year, so i am on my first ever LCD monitor, a 27" Iiyama screen.

I have never got the curved TVs, monitors i am not so sure either, guess i will have to sample the feeling first before i pulled the trigger on such a setup.
Multiple monitors i don't get either, the border in between then would drive me insane i am sure.

I had bought one for christmas but returned it due to really bad color drag. (whatever you call it when you move around and the colors streak across the screen in the opposite direction you are moving in game)

Still have 2 of these style monitors in use (not on primary computers). Mine are LG's. Yo monitors so old, it uses CFL backlighting.

I'd like me a curved 32" 4k 144hz IPS but only dream me could afford such things.

The MSI optix line looks good for the high refresh 1440p monitors but the reviews are a bit too iffy for me.

Got an ASUS RoG 32" Curved recently. Its awesome.
Planning to go to a 38" widescreen as soon as I can afford it

I had bought one for christmas but returned it due to really bad color drag. (whatever you call it when you move around and the colors streak across the screen in the opposite direction you are moving in game)

That would be terrible pixel response time, which is an issue that drives me crazy but many can overlook like its no big deal. I just bought a 65" Samsung "tV" that has better input lag (8.9ms) and pixel response (2ms) @ 120hz then many gaming monitors for this very reason. wall mounted 65" of goodness for $900 vs $750+ for a 32~35" with some sort of issue you have to "compromise" on. I am done with that.

Yep, it's amazing how long displays last. I used a ~$400 20" Dell LCD for about 10 years before it finally gave up the ghost. I added a ~$500 24" HP about halfway through that time and ran with a dual monitor setup. When the 20" Dell died, what did I do? I replaced it with a used 30" Dell 3007WFP-HC. A monitor built in 2007.

When either one of these dies, I plan on replacing both with an ultrawide 144Hz IPS. It may cost me $800-1000, but for something I'll likely use literally every day for the next decade that's money well spent.

Haha, I was using 3007WFP as well. But final video card upgrade removed DVI port and I figured it was time for it to go as I didn't want to purchase an active DP adapter. I was reasonably happy with its picture quality but it did dim over the years. It was hard to me to just get rid of it because nothing was wrong with it, but new monitor is way better so I didn't feel like it was a wasted purchase. I do work on my machine as well as game so ultrawide is not a good option hence I went with a usual 16:9 but a bigger size as I didn't want to go down to 27". lol

My curved monitor is a 34" Acer Predator.

Not having owned a 34" flat screen ultrawide I can't comment on the difference, all I can say is I was sold, and I've been happy.

When I say I was sold, initially I balked at the price, they were still North of $1,000 new. I decided to go out on a limb and buy a refurb for something like $850 or so. It arrived on my porch, I got it in the house and set up, Started playing some of my games that night getting everything to work right.

The next morning I woke up, started my computer, and the damned monitor was dead. It was a painless hassle-free return to Acer's refurb center no troubles or costs to me. I turn right around and the moment my money was credited back to my CC I ordered a brand new one. It's run perfect since day one. No problems at all other than those native to all 21:9 aspect ration displays.

Last edited:
3x 27" 144hz curved screens here for 5760x1080. love the curve.

Haha, I was using 3007WFP as well. But final video card upgrade removed DVI port and I figured it was time for it to go as I didn't want to purchase an active DP adapter. I was reasonably happy with its picture quality but it did dim over the years. It was hard to me to just get rid of it because nothing was wrong with it, but new monitor is way better so I didn't feel like it was a wasted purchase. I do work on my machine as well as game so ultrawide is not a good option hence I went with a usual 16:9 but a bigger size as I didn't want to go down to 27". lol

It's honestly kind of annoying how well it works. I snagged it for a hundred bucks - some kid had it listed on local classifieds and was using an xbox 360 on it via an HDMI to DVI adapter. Like you say, this model has only a single DVI-D connector and no built in scaler, so they were gaming at 1280x800 and the only adjustment they had was the two brightness controls on the front! I honestly think they had no idea what to do with it.

It has a few light scratches on the surface and a little bit of IPS backlight bleed, but it's perfectly serviceable and I was more than happy to give it a few more years of service. :)

It's honestly kind of annoying how well it works. I snagged it for a hundred bucks - some kid had it listed on local classifieds and was using an xbox 360 on it via an HDMI to DVI adapter. Like you say, this model has only a single DVI-D connector and no built in scaler, so they were gaming at 1280x800 and the only adjustment they had was the two brightness controls on the front! I honestly think they had no idea what to do with it.

It has a few light scratches on the surface and a little bit of IPS backlight bleed, but it's perfectly serviceable and I was more than happy to give it a few more years of service. :)

It does work fine but at work I've seen many with sleep issues. Personally I just didn't want to invest any money into an old monitor so this was my excuse to get a new one. Wife didn't mind the new monitor as it is better for photos and has a much smaller desk footprint (I have it mounted on a double joint arm). So it all kinda worked out. Haha

Back