MSI Bullies Small YouTuber To Pull Bad Review

This will certainly factor into my next motherboard/video card purchase. Clearly unethical, but I don't think they're beyond mending this.
This was done by the UK arm of MSI. From what I understand they basically run on their own and NA division shouldn't be mixed in with the EU corps. I am sure the parent company MSI is going to get involved and heads are going to roll in the UK branch.

And here I thought MSI was a company that still had at least a little bit sense of integrity. Hell it was not long ago when they had a major issue with X570 mobo VRM temps and they responded quite well to the criticism.

Maybe it was just a rouge worker who did this shit, but still it was dissapointing thing to hear about the company I never had anything negative to say previously.

And here I thought MSI was a company that still had at least a little bit sense of integrity. Hell it was not long ago when they had a major issue with X570 mobo VRM temps and they responded quite well to the criticism.

Maybe it was just a rouge worker who did this shit, but still it was dissapointing thing to hear about the company I never had anything negative to say previously.

And perhaps they still are a company with a sense of integrity. Let's wait and see how HQ handles the responsible employee(s) at their European regional branch, then we'll know.

they generally do have integrity from what i've seen at least on the NA side, they'll even comment in reviews even if they're bad asking if anyone else saw similar issues but the company as a whole can't control everyone.. i agree with vegeta that there's probably going to be some one or multiple people looking for a new job.

the only other thing and i can't be bothered to watch the guys video is whether or not this was a "review" or a paid showcase/review. if it was a paid showcase then typically they're required to approve the content before you post it.

Reactions: MaZa
like this
Disappointed in MSI. I've used quite a few of their mobo's cause I like their BIOS. They could have really upped their game by publicly responding to their product thanking him and would look into improving their product. Ass kissing of that nature is massive bonus points in a company IMO.

Disappointed in MSI. I've used quite a few of their mobo's cause I like their BIOS. They could have really upped their game by publicly responding to their product thanking him and would look into improving their product. Ass kissing of that nature is massive bonus points in a company IMO.

And they may still do that. We'll have to wait and see if future product offerings in the same segment show such engineered improvements.

At this point, they almost have to make such improvements as an address to this PR debacle.

The funny thing is, if MSI did nothing, this would not affect buying decisions on a large scale because the channel is small. Dumb.

Heh, I like the way HardOCP did reviews (purchased retail hardware). They had a drawing for the 'Ryzen 5 reviewers kit' they received from AMD. First time I ever won a drawing. Got 2 Ryzen processors (with HSFs), an MSI Tomahawk mother board and 16 GB of RAM (thanks again Kyle!). And it's all still working just fine.

.02 cents is still .02 cents at the end of the day.

The review:

I accepted the 3 Taiwanese hookers. They came in a little short

PS ill be avoiding MSI product for a while

Reactions: Axman
like this
MSI already burned me with a laptop I bought for my wife so she could play games. The connector on the back for the power brick has a super shoddy connection to the board, so it doesn't always charge unless the cable is held *just* right, and eventually once you hit that point, it stops charging at all.

Did a little digging and that was like the #1 complaint on their laptops across the whole goddamn lineup. Had I known that before, I wouldn't have even considered them when I bought it for her. I'd have waited to get my hands on anything else.

This bit of news is just cementing over any chance I'll buy their products again.

MSI has worked long and hard to not be considered a Tier 2 or Tier 3 manufacturer creating more and more mobos with elaborate power phases and cooling systems. But I've always had problems with them since "the early days" of the early 2000's.
Too much flash over substance. And not enough customer support for products that seems to have failure rates that are too high. I'd like to say that this news is shocking, but it isn't.

MSI has worked long and hard to not be considered a Tier 2 or Tier 3 manufacturer creating more and more mobos with elaborate power phases and cooling systems. But I've always had problems with them since "the early days" of the early 2000's.
Too much flash over substance. And not enough customer support for products that seems to have failure rates that are too high. I'd like to say that this news is shocking, but it isn't.
The only good things from MSI are the Lightning GPUs and MEG series or better mobos. Basically their highest end stuff.
I remember we had old X58 mobos, We had Gigabyte and MSIs (10 total), at idle the Gigabytes ran cool to the touch and the MSIs would burn you when you touch the chipset/vrm heatsink, imagine the heat under load.......
Guess which ones are still running to this day and which ones died..........

Then why do they keep being one?

Yeah I consider them Tier 2 or 3 which I have no problem supportin (looks over at asrock mobo that is awesomesauce) and with this stunt they won't get the monneys from me. Unless I see a public apology they are doneskis broskis :cigar:

I've used a number of MSI products. My laptop is MSI, I got an MSI monitor, and had multiple graphics cards from them. They aren't bad.

Did have an MSI motherboard that was expensive and not that great, but you can't win all the time.

Just got through the GN piece. Looks like MSI's behavior is absolutely not an isolated incident as they claim it to be. I wonder if this is just a culture clash between western and eastern business practices.

I’m leaning more towards what Steve was getting at. It seems like MSI North America has a PR problem likely tied to policy and procedure. They shouldn’t have to refer to HQ in China (or wherever) for every detail. Most of the complaints should be able to be handled by the PR and North America branch. Their PR people are just garbage it seems like and because it’s an ongoing thing that’s what makes me think it’s the culture there or something.

I can only imagine the kind of shit you get flung at you posting reviews of just about anything. I'd bet being a shill is a lot easier than caring about what you publish.

Back