MSI & ASUS Prep Up AMD AGESA 1.2.0.0 BIOS Firmware For 500 & 400 Series Motherboards, Improved Ryzen CPU Compatibility & More

erek

[H]F Junkie
Man MSI gets a lot of flak but I can't fault them as I have never had an issue with any MSI component since long ago. Last agesa update 1.1.9 got my fclk to 1900 on memory I thought incapable and now a month later and another update for a board nearly 2 years old. 😃

If you believe it was a single lone actor doing that, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Regardless, there was also this damning report:

Who cares what tech Jesus believes. Msi has been good to me and I will always use them before asus.

Man MSI gets a lot of flak but I can't fault them as I have never had an issue with any MSI component since long ago. Last agesa update 1.1.9 got my fclk to 1900 on memory I thought incapable and now a month later and another update for a board nearly 2 years old. 😃
I don't like MSI motherboards, but their laptops and my RX5700 have been great

I just detest asus bios design layout it's annoying.

Their bios UI is pretty crap. It's not clear when some things are enabled or disabled, but it's also buggy. I built a PC for my dad and the bios had some sort of "fast boot" option enabled that caused the bios not to load at all and just gave a black screen on the monitor. The only way to get anything to display was to reset the bios by connecting the reset jumper, but they didn't even include the jumper thing to do it. I just did it with the tip of my screw driver and eventually got everything working, but it was extremely frustrating. Especially since the "debug LEDs" were telling me the CPU was dead when it wasn't at all. It was just their shit bios.

Their bios UI is pretty crap. It's not clear when some things are enabled or disabled, but it's also buggy. I built a PC for my dad and the bios had some sort of "fast boot" option enabled that caused the bios not to load at all and just gave a black screen on the monitor. The only way to get anything to display was to reset the bios by connecting the reset jumper, but they didn't even include the jumper thing to do it. I just did it with the tip of my screw driver and eventually got everything working, but it was extremely frustrating. Especially since the "debug LEDs" were telling me the CPU was dead when it wasn't at all. It was just their shit bios.
Their BIOS are also extremely lazy and low quality/effort. When I disassembled and crawled through one of the files for my ROG Strix X470-I I found tons of sections for Intel platform feature detection and lots of AMD CPU features just arbitrarily locked/disabled. Basically I think ASUS just takes the default AMI framework, slaps together a bunch of their flashy, half-assed junk on top of it, and then ships it out. I really wish we had a real "premium" motherboard manufacturer that took a minimalist and functional approach to BIOS engineering.

Their BIOS are also extremely lazy and low quality/effort. When I disassembled and crawled through one of the files for my ROG Strix X470-I I found tons of sections for Intel platform feature detection and lots of AMD CPU features just arbitrarily locked/disabled. Basically I think ASUS just takes the default AMI framework, slaps together a bunch of their flashy, half-assed junk on top of it, and then ships it out. I really wish we had a real "premium" motherboard manufacturer that took a minimalist and functional approach to BIOS engineering.
Nothing really new actually. You either get great hardware or great software in most cases; it's kind of rare to find something with both, but when you do it's like getting that first fuckin' birthday present you remember fondly.

motherboards just have to get you to the OS handoff. writing the OS for them is probably not something any manufacturer is going to invest much time into and I'm not sure that's where i'd want a lot of money going as a customer. If they're doing their job right, I should basically not spend any time at all in the motherboard bios. Put the money on better hardware and set the bootstrapping up so that I dont have to jump into a bios and do their job for them.

Back