MSI Apologizes for RTFM Joke

HardOCP News

[H] News
I am not going to comment on whether or not this joke was pulled too early because to me it was pretty damn obvious that this was a joke...regardless of the day it was pulled. So, if you are one of the people that actually thought there was a "RTFM chip" installed on your motherboard, you obviously should have ordered the optional SOH chip (sense of humor) instead. Anyhow, that's just my take on this, your mileage may vary.

RTFM chip had been monitoring the behavior of users for "some time," the email from the company said. "So MSI decided to ban people from support, RMA, and the forum who has done the damage themselves or didn't read the manual the first of next month," it said. "We know who you are, and we have gathered enough information via our RTFM-chip."

LMAO. MSI just went up a couple notches in my book because they actually do have a sense of humor.

Im gonna file the RTFM chip in with the "BDOS error" and the "error is between the seat and keyboard" replies for tech support calls...

Personal favorite of mine though is "Did you get the E-mail about the E-mail being down?"

That's funny as hell.

"We thought of this prank after answering the many posts where people ask the obvious that is already in the manual.

While being somewhat involved with customer service, and having to answer technical questions all day myself, the problem here is that they get to hear the whole of their user base asking the same questions, but the individual user doesn't see that so might not figure out the joke. Also it seems to me that if the same question is asked over, and over, and the response is RTFM, maybe the FM isn't clear enough?

Im gonna file the RTFM chip in with the "BDOS error" and the "error is between the seat and keyboard" replies for tech support calls...

Personal favorite of mine though is "Did you get the E-mail about the E-mail being down?"

Me too. "The RTFM chip must have malfunctioned sir/ma'am. Sorry we can't fix it, but your computer works now."

I haven't bought much MSI products in my lifetime thus far, but this definitely puts them up there as far as companies who can show a personal side.

In this case... Humor. :D

I have used MSI boards in hundreds of customers computers. I find them extreamly reliable, and cheep for the average user. I would say that they are the best consumer motherboard by far in quality, but not for hard core. They have been taking steps into the enthuisiest market, and if they keep the same quality, they could be a compatition for Asus I think.

I luv it when April Fools jokes come early, when people don't expect it!!

Am sure MSI customer support is SICK of telling half their callers the same response, just like Kyle is probably sick of all too often having to type "RTFA" for a thread response.

RTFM.jpeg

Nice one. I do hate when people/companies apologize for a good joke. It kinda kills it.

msi +2 in my book.

they have been making good progress in having increasingly better products, especially for the consumer level set and forget boxes...and their higher end offerings are becoming increasingly attractive (i just purchased one of their higher end am3 boards).

this is the stuff I like to see. It makes you feel like people are actually on the other end instead of an ELIZA knockoff.

I got that email a few days ago and it only took a few moments to realize it was a joke. I thought it was funny lol.

Although if they had made it sound more and more insane as the email went on then perhaps less would have thought it was real...

I got that email a few days ago and it only took a few moments to realize it was a joke. I thought it was funny lol.

Although if they had made it sound more and more insane as the email went on then perhaps less would have thought it was real...

But would that have really mattered? My guess is that people didn't like being told to RTFM regardless if it was a joke or not.

If people dont even take the time to read teh manual before calling and making themselves look retarded... then they deserve to be made fun of.

+1 for MSI.

Did they move April fools on us a week this year?

I think more people were "outraged" by a combination of them using the mailing list to send out that "announcement", coupled by Bas' arrogance in subsequent posts (which may the case, or maybe just his poor command of the English language coming off as arrogant since he's German).

Either way, the concept in and of itself was pretty funny...the execution was pretty piss poor.

lol.. i'd never buy their motherboards... but at least i know they're made by humans! :D

I had just signed up for the MSI forums about two days before receiving this e-mail. One of the best April Fool's jokes ever! Are people really that pussified these days that MSI had to apologize over this?

It's nice to see a tech company that doesn't take itself too seriously, that's definitely a plus for them.

I don't think they need to apologize for anything. Some people are way too PC these days (oxymoron, i know)

Did they move April fools on us a week this year?

No but, over the last ten years of covering tech news, I have noticed that people are doing stuff earlier each year to maximize the chance of getting people to fall for pranks.

April 1st...worst. day. ever. to work in the tech news industry because you get flooded with retarded stuff all day long. It makes you seriously want to just take the day off. ;)

Hey, that's a good idea!!!

I'm a little late to this one, but when possible I'm using MSI for my builds. The world has lost it's sense of humor and I'm glad someone at MSI found it! BTW I emailed them to let them know. I'm sure they got plenty of hate mail...they deserve some +1 mail as well!

Back