MSI Announces Full Line-Up GeForce GTX 1070 Graphics Cards

HardOCP News

[H] News
MSI proudly introduces its latest cutting edge GeForce® GTX 1070 graphics cards based on NVIDIA’s new Pascal GPU with feisty looks and extreme performance. Building on the monumental success of MSI’s award winning GTX 900 GAMING series, the MSI GeForce® GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G features the impressive TWIN FROZR VI thermal design allowing for higher core and memory clock speeds for increased performance in games. The famous shapes of the eye-catching TWIN FROZR cooler are intensified by a fiery red GAMING glow piercing through the cover, while the MSI GAMING dragon RGB LED on the side can be set to any of 16.8 million colors to match your mood or build. A completely new custom 10-phase PCB design using Military Class 4 components with 8+6-pin power connectors enables higher overclocking performance to push your graphics card to the max. The classy matte black solid metal backplate gives the card more structural strength and provides a nice finishing touch.

The RGB lighting feels like an afterthought. Most of the card glows red and you only get to change the color of the small emblem on the side? Doh!

The battle of the AIB cards begins. Looking for EVGA personally. MSI is OK though I guess.

Twin Frozer for the win. I have been sold on MSI video cards. Evga is great and all, great company, their pascal cards so far are fugly though. Not that it is truly important what they look like to me so much, but Msi is killing it, and that is by far the best looking flagship video card i have ever seen in 20 years, it's beautiful. Too bad it doesn't matter anyway since they are upside down in a case so even in a windowed case you can't see how cool they look unless you have a custom build with a riser to basically show it off. But yeah Twin Frozr works quite well. Silent. I imagine the Strix and the Gigabytes work well too, they all seem to be close enough, but generally in the past shootouts i remember Twin Frozer works slightly better and is generally more quiet. I even like the understated look of the reference Aero and Seahawk. In fact if Twin Frozer wasn't so good i'd just get the Aero for the lower price.

Twin Frozer for the win. I have been sold on MSI video cards. Evga is great and all, great company, their pascal cards so far are fugly though. Not that it is truly important what they look like to me so much, but Msi is killing it, and that is by far the best looking flagship video card i have ever seen in 20 years, it's beautiful.

To each their own. I happen to think these are, by far, the ugliest offering for Pascal. Big, chunky, cheap-looking plastic. EVGA, on the other hand, is probably my favorite so far. It's classy with subtle touches like the honeycomb effect and the metallic name badges.

None of this matters to me, though. It all goes in a window-free case that's stuffed under the desk.

Both MSI and EVGA have excellent RMA systems, so Its all about the benches and bundled games. I am not seeing any bundle deals. Who am I kidding, I'm broke and cant buy jack for any video card!!! These old GTX 660's are gonna have to last a little while longer.

Twin Frozer for the win. I have been sold on MSI video cards. Evga is great and all, great company, their pascal cards so far are fugly though. Not that it is truly important what they look like to me so much, but Msi is killing it, and that is by far the best looking flagship video card i have ever seen in 20 years, it's beautiful. Too bad it doesn't matter anyway since they are upside down in a case so even in a windowed case you can't see how cool they look unless you have a custom build with a riser to basically show it off. But yeah Twin Frozr works quite well. Silent. I imagine the Strix and the Gigabytes work well too, they all seem to be close enough, but generally in the past shootouts i remember Twin Frozer works slightly better and is generally more quiet. I even like the understated look of the reference Aero and Seahawk. In fact if Twin Frozer wasn't so good i'd just get the Aero for the lower price.

EVGA's dual fan coolers have looked much nicer for long. Although MSI ones look nice enough. Last two GPUs I bought were MSI Twin Frozers. I hope this card is $380 as it has everything I want. I hope that stupid LED crap doesn't push the price up. That is something I don't care about, but no doubt they will try and markup the price for. Looks superior to their other cooling option and wouldn't want the price to rise a lot just for a LED that changes colors on the side.

EVGA's dual fan coolers have looked much nicer for long. Although MSI ones look nice enough. Last two GPUs I bought were MSI Twin Frozers. I hope this card is $380 as it has everything I want. I hope that stupid LED crap doesn't push the price up. That is something I don't care about, but no doubt they will try and markup the price for. Looks superior to their other cooling option and wouldn't want the price to rise a lot just for a LED that changes colors on the side.

The 1080 card with the (likely) same TF cooler is $20 over the MSRP of the $699 1080 Founder's Edition. Going by that price, the MSI Gamxing X 1070 card would come in at $469. This is presuming they go for premium pricing across the lineup for Pascal Gaming X cards. So $380 may be a bit of a dream...

Expect most all of the major AIBs with custom pcbs and the like to be closer to $450. The only cards that will be $379 in general is the reference design ones like the Msi Aero. I'm pretty sure you can bank on that.

That is a massive jump in price from previous generations. It used to be $10-20 more for the better coolers/models. I paid $350 for my 4G Gaming 970 nearly two years ago. Perhaps this generation is a dud when it comes to performance for the price. If it takes nearly two years for a suitable replacement for a 970 to come along with a ~40% price hike it doesn't look very good.

Love MSI, but their pricing with pascal has been a joke. I can understand charging a premium some especially with so much demand and so little supply.

But if the MSRP is 379 -- the most they should get for a custom cooled edition is $420-440 - anything over that for a 1070 just isn't worth it to me.

I'd say anything over $400 is getting a bit insane for a 1070. With luck these are just prices for the initial rush. Or AMD puts out something competitive soon.

I'd say anything over $400 is getting a bit insane for a 1070. With luck these are just prices for the initial rush. Or AMD puts out something competitive soon.

Well MSRP for a 1070 is $379... we aren't seeing that due to the whole BS of the "founders cards" as well as custom board and custom cooling solutions starting to show up. At the MSRP level, that's 50 dollars more than the 970 was released at, seems like a lot, but two things I would say contribute to a normal increase:

1) we see inflation at 3% per year average, since the release of the 970, you have to factor in an additional ~6% from 2014 prices (around 20 dollars)
2) going to a 16nm process isn't free nor cheap, say $30 of the cards MSRP goes to that (just to make it easy to piece in with the $20 inflation above)

So I don't see $379 as a bad price at all - do a reverse inflation calculation translating 379 in 2016 dollars to what it would be in 2014 dollars, and you get pretty close to the 9 series launch price.

Due to the absolutel crap supply of these highly sought after cards, of course you aren't going to see any "normal" prices for quite a while.

Still waiting for someone to release a reference card at 379. EVGA way overpriced their cheapest option.

Still waiting for someone to release a reference card at 379. EVGA way overpriced their cheapest option.

The reference cards are $449 FE cards. Nvidia partners have the option of selling cheaper cards with custom coolers for as low as $379.

The reference cards are $449 FE cards. Nvidia partners have the option of selling cheaper cards with custom coolers for as low as $379.
What I meant is the reference board with cheapo cooling non founders version.

what is the difference between the "ARMOR 8G OC" and "GAMING X 8G" ?
do they both have the Twin Frozr VI cooler? gaming simply the better binned GPU's? (1607/1797 vs 1556/1746)

EDIT: looks like the GAMING has the new cooler only. the armor uses "The new ARMOR 2X Thermal Design uses the patented TORX Fan technology also found on the award winning TWIN FROZR V" according to the MSI site: MSI Global

Last edited:
While I'm eager to upgrade my 750 Ti to the 1070, I do not want to pay over $400 for it. Which probably means I'm going to be waiting for a while.

This might be necro, oh well.

As of 6/24 these are in stock at Newegg. Armor, Gamer, Gamer X, etc etc. All just slightly different clocks at diff price points. Starting at $429 for the armor.

MSI GeForce GTX 1070 DirectX 12 GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G OC 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support ATX Video Card - Newegg.com

I did a comparision chart on MSI's site which I can't link to.... pfft doesn't look like I can cut or paste either, it just grabs the whole tab and moves it. Screw it.

Anyway, I need to wait until these get under $400. Must.... wait....

Back