MSI AM4 pron

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Better pics are here of the MSI boards.
http://www.ocaholic.co.uk/modules/news/article.php?storyid=15959

PCPER has coverage on other brands such as Gigabyte, Asrock,and Biostar pictured here.
https://www.pcper.com/news/Motherboards/Meet-AMDs-new-chipset-X300-and-X370?

Even more boards with SFF chiming in!
http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-am4-x370-motherboards-ces/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The A300 is the chip designed for Small Form Factor computers and generally, HTPC builds. This offers the ultimate power and space efficiency in the entire product stack. This is a new chip that has been exclusively built for the SFF niche. A300 has limited functionalities but will be extremely cheap and allow for great SFF setups.

upload_2017-1-4_18-53-28.png

2017-01-04 (1).png
2017-01-04 (2).png

Last edited:
Looks alright, not a huge fan of color scheme. Reminds me of the old Soyo Dragon.

Going to be hard choosing between Kaby Lake and Zen! Might do a combo of both as I gave away my future HTPC to a nephew.

Not a fan of the color scheme, but love the fact there are 2 M2 slots (hate that my Asus Maximus VIII Hero doesn't have 2).

Not a fan of the color scheme, but love the fact there are 2 M2 slots (hate that my Asus Maximus VIII Hero doesn't have 2).
Got Z270 boards in here now with 3, and well placed at that.

Do those metal sheaths over the PCI-e slots actually add any load-bearing integrity? Or are they just there for EMF shielding / looking cool?

Man I can't wait for Ryzen and AM4. I could care less about Kaby lake, gimme 8C/16T AMD dammit. Both those boards look good, I like the Tomahawk a lot though.

Do those metal sheaths over the PCI-e slots actually add any load-bearing integrity? Or are they just there for EMF shielding / looking cool?

They go through the board, they're actually really sturdy. I had a board with them and it helped the sagging on the Asus DCUII 970 I had.

Well, the literature all proclaims to add strength for heavy video cards. Seeing how those are affixed to the motherboards I have seen those on, I would suggest they do in fact add shear strength, but only you can truly know if you need it. I have done a lot of stupid things with motherboards in the past 20 years and I have yet to rip off a PCIe/AGP/PCI slot.

The only thing I wish is that AMD went with a layout similar to X99, those memory banks flanking the CPU on both sides is just so damn hot to me

Comparing same model board for kaby, sorda bugs me how they put so much more engineering into the intel products compared to amd

My two cents :meh:

Horrible spots for the m.2 slots and look where they put the battery, makes me wonder what were they thinking? All that space and some bonehead decided “let’s put that there, yeah yeah that’s where we will put that!” :bag:

And they could not put a 90* six pin for the last slot, this board hurts my eyes!

If it wasn't for the logos, those Gigabyte boards would be clean.... Gotta say I like how over the top the ASrock boards are, don't really know what Biostar was going for... I've built 3 PC's with their boards in the past, those just look way too chintzy.

The only thing I wish is that AMD went with a layout similar to X99, those memory banks flanking the CPU on both sides is just so damn hot to me

X79/99 is arranged that way due to the quad channel design so adding more extraneous slots for aesthetics in a dual channel setup would not make much sense.

Imo, these boards are going to make or break them. The previous/existing boards are kinda cheap and shitty though that's got something to do with how archaic the cpus were. Thus if the cpus have caught up now, the one way consumers interface with the new tech is thru the mb so they need to not cause problems on their own.

The only ones that catch my eye’s is the AsRock ones but even then it looks like they put a jumper under the first pcie slot :sour:

AsRock still refuses to send us motherboards for review, and that always worries me.

And it is not like we have been out to trash AsRock. http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/motherboards_chipsets/1/asrock They made some good boards!

But as far as North America mobo sales, they have almost fallen off the map in terms of overall revenue, so I am wondering what is going on with that company. AsRock has not replied to any emails I have sent in over a year now.

*Crosses fingers oh so tightly*

Everything is looking so damn good..... Please AMD, gimme that performance I need for Arma 3 :D

But its so pretty!!!

I know right? It looks balanced and soothes my ocd.

No BS, it's honestly the only reason I kinda don't want to build a Zen machine and go X99. the MSI Carbon Godlike :zombie::jawdrop::smug:

Wow, I've seen it all...

Here is what is going to happen with AMD Ryzen. There is absolutely no reason to purchase a Ryzen processor unless it gives us some sort of performance parity with Intel. (Brand loyalty withstanding, you are going to buy it no matter what.) But let's say Ryzen/Intel performance is close in terms of IPC (which I believe at this time is true), so that will draw a lot of us to at least give Ryzen a look. If it clocks to a stable 4GHz, or stable 5GHz, where does it have to be priced for you to buy it? And I am talking the top end Ryzen CPU. And keep in mind you are buying into a totally unproven chipset/motherboard platform.

I am more incline for total performance for rendering and of course price. I do not see an issue with gaming, well at least yet that is. True the platform may have some growing pains, how painful is yet to be determine. I also look at future upgrades with AM4 or newer versions of Ryzen as well. A lot of factors, performance, price, stability, future iterations not having to update everything over (total price long term potential). Also some data on Skylake E and platform would be nice to know as well but Intel pricing has been rather steep and off the charts for the 8 core and above as well.

Of course Ryzen may not be for everybody, Intel maybe best for some or most - yet Ryzen is looking great for some of us. Just have to see it in real action with independent testers (reviewers) preferable with HardOCP input as well. I would bet ASUS would have the best implementation out of the gate and hope a number of motherboards are tested thoroughly exposing any issues and seeing how fast they are corrected. Hopefully no unfixable issues spring up.

Damn would of been nice to see some ITX boards.

There might be some here at the end of the article. Well SFF boards.
http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-am4-x370-motherboards-ces/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The A300 is the chip designed for Small Form Factor computers and generally, HTPC builds. This offers the ultimate power and space efficiency in the entire product stack. This is a new chip that has been exclusively built for the SFF niche. A300 has limited functionalities but will be extremely cheap and allow for great SFF setups.

ASRock A320M Pro 4
GIGABYTE A320M-HD3
MSI A320M Pro-VD

Hmh... I'd like to see the nude pics but these show quite a bit. Looks good.

Is the 3xx chipset name to one up Intel's new 2xx boards or what? It doesn't seem to follow previous AMD naming conventions.

Looks good, but kind of sparse looking on the PCIe ports compared to what I am used to.

Also, I had hoped for more than 4 RAM slots, so I could do an initial install of 4x16GB, and have more slots open for future upgrades, but I guess this will do.

I wonder if all three x16 slots are electrically and permanently x16, or if one or two are electrically only x8 or if they are configured in one of those sharing arrangements, where you get two x16 slots only if you don't use the third slot, and if you do use th ethird slot you get x16-x8-x8

Either way, looks good, but the devil is in the details, and we don't have much in the way of details.

Better pics are here of the MSI boards.
http://www.ocaholic.co.uk/modules/news/article.php?storyid=15959

PCPER has coverage on other brands such as Gigabyte, Asrock,and Biostar pictured here.
https://www.pcper.com/news/Motherboards/Meet-AMDs-new-chipset-X300-and-X370?

Even more boards with SFF chiming in!

View attachment 13992

View attachment 13993 View attachment 13994

I like the MSI X370 Xpower Gaming Titanium. Not mainly for looks , but it has more control over it VRMS with 8+ power phasing . Asus has failed to show an X370 high end board yet, so if they are slow and drop the ball I am likely to go for this MSI. I believe it will give top-notch overclock.

Tomahawk looks cool, but I'll be holding off for eATX

Yeah, I've been using a SSI CEB board for a long time now. I like large boards. ATX would be my absolute minimum, but something larger with many PCIe slots would be preferable.

Back