Become a Patron!

MSI AM4 pron

Discussion in 'AMD Processors' started by cageymaru, Jan 4, 2017.

1. drescherjm

drescherjm [H]ardForum Junkie

Search for PCIe bifurcation.

2. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News Staff Member

I think someone was discussing PCIE lanes in the thread. Anyways this video says 24 lanes.

3. Dew

Dew 2[H]4U

Specifically it is 24 Lanes, 16x dedicated for GPU, 4x for NVMe, 4x for Chipset.

Now, does that mean that we will see boards with 2x8 (16 physical, 8 electrical), or 1x8 + 2x4 CPU lanes that can be repurposed for storage/networking? I would assume so.

Considering PCIE3 is 8Gbps/lane that only gives 32Gbps (~3.8GB/sec real world) for the entire chipset.

A 10GBe NIC is going to want 2 lanes to operate at full speed.

Gosh, looking at what a mess this can be, I see why a PLX chip might be a popular option. Stack 32 lanes (4x 8 lane electrical) of physical slots into a shared 8 lane bus and call it a day. Let the end user figure out the best division of resources.

Now if only bifurcation was a standard thing across all chipsets...

Armenius and Shintai like this.
  4. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Pick your own.....you deserve it.

Hmm. Are there any good m.2 slot to PCIe slot flexible risers? Maybe one can use one of the m.2 slots for a 10GBe card.

5. Dew

Dew 2[H]4U

Nope.
    There is one, but it is rated for PCIe 1 (maybe it can do 2, I dunno), and $150. http://www.hwtools.net/ExtenderBoard/P14S-P14F.html

Sooo, worthless.

6. Dew

Dew 2[H]4U

Looking at that board, I'm guessing we are looking at 2x8 (16 slot) PCIe off the CPU, the 3 x1 slots off the chipset, the bottom x16 is probably an x1 or x4, also off the chipset. The board may have intelligent switching for the 2x8 and make it 1x16 if you only have one card installed. You could then install a low-end GPU in the bottom x16 slot.

Either way, if you were looking at all that, I'm not quite sure what the point would be in having ~9GByte/sec local reads with limited network IO. Better to sacrifice PCIe x16 down to x8 so you can put a 40Gbe NIC in there. You'll still hit nearly the same 9GB/sec.

Ryzen, no, AFAIK. Only the forthcoming AM4 APUs will have IGPs. So those ports will be dead unless you stick an APU in there.

Shintai likes this.
  7. Zarathustra[H]

There is very little benefit in using RAID to stripe multiple SSD's anyway, they are already massively paralellized internally anyway.

Going from a hard drive to any SSD is a huge improvement. Going from a slow SSD to a faster one is marginal.

When I moved from my sata Samsung 850 Pro to a PCIe Intel 750, while the 750 certainly scores higher in drive bench tests, actual practical performance difference (boot times, load times, system responsiveness, etc) have been undetectably small.

Besides, striping drives gains you sequential performance at the cost of seek times. Seek times are the huge reason why SSD's are such a huge improvement.

If you have an odd workload where sequential speeds are unusually important to you, I guess striping makes sense, but for most workloads you are just giving up reliability for no benefit at all.

Shintai likes this.
  8. drescherjm

No they don't have a GPU. Remember Bristol Ridge and future APUs will have a GPU.

9. JustReason

JustReason [H]ard|Gawd

for even more clarity: A unified platform, no AM3 and FM2 but a single chipset to house both.

10. Dew

Dew 2[H]4U

So you have a rather enterprisey use case, not a consumer/prosumer use case.

It is still unclear from your description what you are looking for as far as this machine goes. Do you want local storage IO and not care about network IO? Do you want GPU IO as well?

If we are talking about the consumer/prosumer use case, going from 500MB/sec to 5GB/sec is not going to make much of a difference unless you are slinging around large files quite often, and is going to make just about zero difference in gaming.

drescherjm likes this.
  11. Zarathustra[H]

Well, as I was saying, you can get great benchmark numbers, but they rarely if ever result in improvements in practical use. Your boot times, load times and system responsiveness are going to be almost exactly the same. Only time you'll ever notice is with large sequential transfers to another fast source. (RAMdisk?)

Dew, Shintai and drescherjm like this.
  12. Namx01

Namx01 n00bie

13. dook43

dook43 2[H]4U

That's been made uncomfortably clear. Nobody else on this forum cares about running SQL databases in RAMdisks and wanting to move that down to RAID M.2.

And anyone that does is certainly not purchasing AMD Ryzen at launch. What we have here is a enterprise customer on a consumer budget.

Dew likes this.
  14. os2wiz

os2wiz Limp Gawd

A 6 core 12 thread chip is happening whether you see it or not,

ManofGod and Kyle_Bennett like this.
  15. Nobu

Nobu [H]ard|Gawd

Why wouldn't they function? I'm sure they'll work fine, with an APU. Ryzen is a CPU, with no graphics capabilities, I'm 99% certain (only 1% uncertain because there is a remote possibility that they decided to turn it into an APU without saying anything). There will be APUs released later (as had been said by AMD) for the same socket. I'm not sure of chipset compatibility, but I think they should work with CPUs and APUs.

16. drescherjm

There are current Bristol Ridge AM4 CPUs that should function with the video ports. Next year there will be Zen based APUs that will use the video ports as well. The Zen parts released in Q1 will not use the video.

MRFSYS likes this.
  17. WhoBeDaPlaya

WhoBeDaPlaya [H]ard|Gawd

A few years back, some folks at work were crowing about these new-fangled mechanical keyboards.
    I brought in the OG and shut 'em up :)

[​IMG]

Mint condition with the original box, except the rubber on the cable has started to disintegrate :(
    Bought it way back when for use with an IBM Thinkpad 760ED when it launched.

18. Zarathustra[H]

Nice! A twin to mine!

I'm impressed your keycaps are still good after all that time!

I've often thought about bringing a buckling spring keyboard to work, but I worry that I will annoy my colleagues, since we work in an open office environment. I don't even have cubicle walls :p

WhoBeDaPlaya likes this.
  19. os2wiz

os2wiz Limp Gawd

I think you should wait to see the Asus ROG board for Ryzen. It has not been announced but is likely to have a PLX chip on board and more options than the other x370 boards.

MRFSYS likes this.
  20. ManofGod

ManofGod [H]ardness Supreme

For me, as long as I can run my 2 x Sapphire R9 Furies, any good X370 board will be fine. B350 is all I will need for my work computer though.

21. Pieter3dnow

Pieter3dnow [H]ardness Supreme

I'm hoping that most/all AM4 X370 are really good dependable boards. Last time around you had several AM3+ which could run certain cpu but had poor VRM or overclocking stability.
    I'm guessing that if the GDC leak is true the end of February beginning of March would see reviews with the release a week later ?

22. Harney

Harney n00bie

A bit late to the party but i use those and a fair few others in the audio production scene ...without legacy pci slots i would be using pc's from say 5 + years ago or i would have to upgrade both of my pci sound cards to pci-e and this would cost me well over a grand to do so ...so thank the gods for legacy pci and sintech adaptors if i have to use a board without any lagecy slots

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sintech-PC...d=1492600523&sr=1-2&keywords=PCI-E+express+X1

more info if interested

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/811773-legacy-pci-support-new-mobos-doubt-5.html

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mus...use-pci-card-pci-e-only-machine-solution.html

jahsoul likes this.
  23. jahsoul

jahsoul Gawd

I said that a little while ago on another thread. Legacy PCI are a God-send for those of us who are still using supported PCI sound cards (and mine dates back to 98 - Ensoniq Paris). I'm currently running a P6X58 Premium/X5675 combo, but really looking at getting an AM4 setup for the legacy PCI.

24. dave343

dave343 [H]ard|Gawd

That's never a good sign... so either they are afraid of what big reviewers like yourself might have to say about their boards, or they just want out of the north american market I guess. Back in the mid 2000's at a store I worked at, we sold quite a few ASRock boards, they were feature packed, and pretty stable when OC'ing with. They seem to still be feature packed, but maybe the quality has gone down and they don't want reviewers looking too deep into them...?

25. noko

noko 2[H]4U

Well the Tachi looks to be very high quality, AsRock should have shipped out the first one to HardOCP for testing and to show.

26. Pieter3dnow

Pieter3dnow [H]ardness Supreme

The bad part is if you see which people they shipped it to that are on youtube, seems that it is not that important any more for ASrock to be on here , giving up is not the best thing to do.

So I googled and found this link on Anandtech and it made me smile https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/asrock-taichi-x370-review.2501149/
    Check the comment on below it ;) .

or from Tom's http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asrock-x370-taichi-amd-ryzen-am4-atx-motherboard,4967-3.html
    Then you stop wondering why ASrock does not want to ship review samples to [H]ardocp ..

27. noko

noko 2[H]4U

lol.

YouTube videos are getting to the point I rather just stick my fingers down my throat at times, I can barely watch any of them all the way through. The actual hands on (no pun intended here) that show how to do something, faster pace, less talk are very useful. Anyone just talking in front of the camera is 99% of the time worthless as well as pointless.