MSI AM4 pron

Discussion in 'AMD Processors' started by cageymaru, Jan 4, 2017.

1. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News Staff Member

Better pics are here of the MSI boards.
    http://www.ocaholic.co.uk/modules/news/article.php?storyid=15959

PCPER has coverage on other brands such as Gigabyte, Asrock,and Biostar pictured here.
    https://www.pcper.com/news/Motherboards/Meet-AMDs-new-chipset-X300-and-X370?

Even more boards with SFF chiming in!
    http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-am4-x370-motherboards-ces/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The A300 is the chip designed for Small Form Factor computers and generally, HTPC builds. This offers the ultimate power and space efficiency in the entire product stack. This is a new chip that has been exclusively built for the SFF niche. A300 has limited functionalities but will be extremely cheap and allow for great SFF setups.

upload_2017-1-4_18-53-28.png

2017-01-04 (1).png 2017-01-04 (2).png

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  2. rgMekanic

rgMekanic [H]ard|Gawd

3. ShuttleLuv

ShuttleLuv [H]ardness Supreme

Looks alright, not a huge fan of color scheme. Reminds me of the old Soyo Dragon.

nxcess likes this.
  4. cageymaru

Going to be hard choosing between Kaby Lake and Zen! Might do a combo of both as I gave away my future HTPC to a nephew.

Kato1144 likes this.
  5. rgMekanic

rgMekanic [H]ard|Gawd

I hate the color, I'm like the features, I'd love it if MSI gave us an Xpower for AM4

Armenius likes this.
  6. cageymaru

7. rgMekanic

rgMekanic [H]ard|Gawd

8. MotionBlur

MotionBlur [H]ard|Gawd

Not a fan of the color scheme, but love the fact there are 2 M2 slots (hate that my Asus Maximus VIII Hero doesn't have 2).

9. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

Got Z270 boards in here now with 3, and well placed at that.

Armenius likes this.
  10. 1/2 bent

1/2 bent Gawd

That looks real nice Clark

piratepress and Spartacus like this.
  11. Nanogrip

Nanogrip Limp Gawd

Looks like cardboard with black components glued on top of it.

12. THUMPer

THUMPer Loves Chachi's Tiny Penis

13. MotionBlur

MotionBlur [H]ard|Gawd

Wasn't aware Z270 made 2+ standard on ATX - thanks for the heads up.

14. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

Do those metal sheaths over the PCI-e slots actually add any load-bearing integrity? Or are they just there for EMF shielding / looking cool?

15. LigTasm

LigTasm [H]ardness Supreme

Man I can't wait for Ryzen and AM4. I could care less about Kaby lake, gimme 8C/16T AMD dammit. Both those boards look good, I like the Tomahawk a lot though.

They go through the board, they're actually really sturdy. I had a board with them and it helped the sagging on the Asus DCUII 970 I had.

Armenius and MavericK like this.
  16. Kyle_Bennett

Well, the literature all proclaims to add strength for heavy video cards. Seeing how those are affixed to the motherboards I have seen those on, I would suggest they do in fact add shear strength, but only you can truly know if you need it. I have done a lot of stupid things with motherboards in the past 20 years and I have yet to rip off a PCIe/AGP/PCI slot.

Armenius, ShuttleLuv and MavericK like this.
  17. rgMekanic

rgMekanic [H]ard|Gawd

The only thing I wish is that AMD went with a layout similar to X99, those memory banks flanking the CPU on both sides is just so damn hot to me

18. marzzez

marzzez Limp Gawd

Comparing same model board for kaby, sorda bugs me how they put so much more engineering into the intel products compared to amd

My two cents :meh:

19. marzzez

marzzez Limp Gawd

Horrible spots for the m.2 slots and look where they put the battery, makes me wonder what were they thinking? All that space and some bonehead decided “let’s put that there, yeah yeah that’s where we will put that!” :bag:

20. cageymaru

Armenius and noko like this.
  21. marzzez

marzzez Limp Gawd

And they could not put a 90* six pin for the last slot, this board hurts my eyes!

22. marzzez

marzzez Limp Gawd

23. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones [H]ard|Gawd

If it wasn't for the logos, those Gigabyte boards would be clean.... Gotta say I like how over the top the ASrock boards are, don't really know what Biostar was going for... I've built 3 PC's with their boards in the past, those just look way too chintzy.

24. thesmokingman

thesmokingman 2[H]4U

X79/99 is arranged that way due to the quad channel design so adding more extraneous slots for aesthetics in a dual channel setup would not make much sense.

Imo, these boards are going to make or break them. The previous/existing boards are kinda cheap and shitty though that's got something to do with how archaic the cpus were. Thus if the cpus have caught up now, the one way consumers interface with the new tech is thru the mb so they need to not cause problems on their own.

25. rgMekanic

rgMekanic [H]ard|Gawd

But its so pretty!!!

26. thesmokingman

thesmokingman 2[H]4U

I know right? It looks balanced and soothes my ocd.

27. rgMekanic

rgMekanic [H]ard|Gawd

No BS, it's honestly the only reason I kinda don't want to build a Zen machine and go X99. the MSI Carbon Godlike :zombie::jawdrop::smug:

28. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones [H]ard|Gawd

Wow, I've seen it all...

29. noko

noko 2[H]4U

Looking forward to the ASUS boards.

Ruoh likes this.
  30. Kyle_Bennett

AsRock still refuses to send us motherboards for review, and that always worries me.

And it is not like we have been out to trash AsRock. http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/motherboards_chipsets/1/asrock They made some good boards!

But as far as North America mobo sales, they have almost fallen off the map in terms of overall revenue, so I am wondering what is going on with that company. AsRock has not replied to any emails I have sent in over a year now.

Armenius and techie81 like this.
  31. [RIP]Zeus

[RIP]Zeus 2[H]4U

*Crosses fingers oh so tightly*

Everything is looking so damn good..... Please AMD, gimme that performance I need for Arma 3 :D

32. Kyle_Bennett

Here is what is going to happen with AMD Ryzen. There is absolutely no reason to purchase a Ryzen processor unless it gives us some sort of performance parity with Intel. (Brand loyalty withstanding, you are going to buy it no matter what.) But let's say Ryzen/Intel performance is close in terms of IPC (which I believe at this time is true), so that will draw a lot of us to at least give Ryzen a look. If it clocks to a stable 4GHz, or stable 5GHz, where does it have to be priced for you to buy it? And I am talking the top end Ryzen CPU. And keep in mind you are buying into a totally unproven chipset/motherboard platform.

Armenius and techie81 like this.
  33. rgMekanic

rgMekanic [H]ard|Gawd

To be completely honest. $250 if it has parity with a 5820k, $300 if it runs with a 6800k, $400 with parity to a 6900k. If it can't do that my wife will get a 6600 build, I'll do a 6800k, and my HTPC will be a... something. (either way my HTPC will be a something, don't do any gaming on it at all, just needs low power 1080p.)

RIght now the motherboards look unimpressive, and as you said, it's a completely unproven platform, even with parity AMD needs to come out swinging with the price.

Armenius and Kyle_Bennett like this.
  34. marzzez

marzzez Limp Gawd

Wow, that’s a good question. Normally being “closely equivalent to” does not catch my attention, agree with you that they need “that something more” to make them unique; am already frustrated because I know I’ll end up building one of these sys for myself, guess it’s only saving grace will be kicking my friends asses on a lesser sys!

35. Yiffy

Yiffy [H]ard|Gawd

Damn would of been nice to see some ITX boards.

Armenius and cageymaru like this.
  36. noko

noko 2[H]4U

I am more incline for total performance for rendering and of course price. I do not see an issue with gaming, well at least yet that is. True the platform may have some growing pains, how painful is yet to be determine. I also look at future upgrades with AM4 or newer versions of Ryzen as well. A lot of factors, performance, price, stability, future iterations not having to update everything over (total price long term potential). Also some data on Skylake E and platform would be nice to know as well but Intel pricing has been rather steep and off the charts for the 8 core and above as well.

Of course Ryzen may not be for everybody, Intel maybe best for some or most - yet Ryzen is looking great for some of us. Just have to see it in real action with independent testers (reviewers) preferable with HardOCP input as well. I would bet ASUS would have the best implementation out of the gate and hope a number of motherboards are tested thoroughly exposing any issues and seeing how fast they are corrected. Hopefully no unfixable issues spring up.

37. cageymaru

There might be some here at the end of the article. Well SFF boards.
    http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-am4-x370-motherboards-ces/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The A300 is the chip designed for Small Form Factor computers and generally, HTPC builds. This offers the ultimate power and space efficiency in the entire product stack. This is a new chip that has been exclusively built for the SFF niche. A300 has limited functionalities but will be extremely cheap and allow for great SFF setups.

ASRock A320M Pro 4
    GIGABYTE A320M-HD3
    MSI A320M Pro-VD

38. Tup3x

Tup3x [H]ard|Gawd

Hmh... I'd like to see the nude pics but these show quite a bit. Looks good.

cageymaru likes this.
  39. Meeho

Meeho 2[H]4U

Is the 3xx chipset name to one up Intel's new 2xx boards or what? It doesn't seem to follow previous AMD naming conventions.

40. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] [H]ard|News Staff Member

Looks good, but kind of sparse looking on the PCIe ports compared to what I am used to.

Also, I had hoped for more than 4 RAM slots, so I could do an initial install of 4x16GB, and have more slots open for future upgrades, but I guess this will do.

I wonder if all three x16 slots are electrically and permanently x16, or if one or two are electrically only x8 or if they are configured in one of those sharing arrangements, where you get two x16 slots only if you don't use the third slot, and if you do use th ethird slot you get x16-x8-x8

Either way, looks good, but the devil is in the details, and we don't have much in the way of details.

Armenius likes this.