MSI Also Working on Motherboard With Connectors on the Reverse Side

erek

[H]F Junkie
A win for cable management?

“According to the latest leak, MSI is apparently working on two motherboards based on AMD B650 chipset that have entered a qualification state. While it means that these are still far away from being a retail product, it is certainly an interesting concept that we are looking forward to. Of course, this also means that one would need a compatible PC case, that has strategically placed cutouts in order to access those connectors. The original post has some of those cases pictured. In addition to ASUS, MaxSun, and now MSI, Gigabyte also had a similar concept with Project Stealth.”

1678798948917.png

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/305910/...therboard-with-connectors-on-the-reverse-side

Of course, this also means that one would need a compatible PC case, that has strategically placed cutouts in order to access those connectors.

This is why it'll probably never go beyond the concept phase. It'd generate far too many returns from people with conventional cases to be a viable commercial product,

This is cool but it is the PCIE power for the GPU card that is the most obnoxious.

Interesting idea. Obviously chassis will need to accommodate the new design. Should be a welcome change.

This could help with cable management, but could also become a real nightmare unless there is an accompanying industry standard for the cutout locations.

This is cool but it is the PCIE power for the GPU card that is the most obnoxious.
can't remember who it is that already came up with a concept to put the power connectors on the bottom of the card. maybe it was msi dunno.

most newer cases already have the cut outs or openings in a pretty standard spot these days so as long as msi's willing to spend the time to list out supporting cases for the first year or two i think it would be fine. end of the day it's a niche product whether it worked in all cases or not.

ITX and SFF in general would get the most benefit from this. Though cable routing affects everyone, when dealing with a full sized ATX motherboard, there is more surface space for components in general. ITX just doesn't have the same level of space, and rear mounting increases usable surface area by at least 40%.

Not directly mentioned, but placing things like M.2 NVME slots on the rear of the boards could also be beneficial, again to increase the capabilities of SFF machines.

EDIT: from skimming the article, it doesn't sound like the placement will be standardized... making this really just a one-off pony with no upgrade path. For this to really be a thing, a mobo manufacturer would have to standardize placement and get partners like case manufacturers on board. Otherwise, this has no future.

good idea but needs the cases to support it and i swear this was already in the mobo section...

Might have been nice to make those right angled and reduce the vertical needed on the backside.

There will still be a lot of stuff sticking out on the front though. So the next step will be to move the memory, CPU and GPU over to the other side, then it will be nice and clean on the front.

OEMs want this and so do enthusiasts, it is also cheaper overall to produce and makes the circuit layout easier.
This hasn't been done earlier because it meant changing the physical layout of the boards, something they really haven't had to do in a decade or more, so that meant a higher initial investment.
Additionally, this will push case sales which never hurts. Win-Win for everybody.
There will still be a lot of stuff sticking out on the front though. So the next step will be to move the memory, CPU and GPU over to the other side, then it will be nice and clean on the front.
I like this, but a more cynical take on this is soon we won't see system ram anymore Intel and AMD will start putting that on the CPU package instead, that or the Dell/Intel CAMM format will take off and they start putting that on the back of the board instead and make consumer replaceable high-speed LPDDR5 a thing... that would be dope. But we are hitting a latency wall with the existing format so something needs to change and I don't want that to be integrated non upgradable or replaceable memory.

A win for cable management?

“According to the latest leak, MSI is apparently working on two motherboards based on AMD B650 chipset that have entered a qualification state. While it means that these are still far away from being a retail product, it is certainly an interesting concept that we are looking forward to. Of course, this also means that one would need a compatible PC case, that has strategically placed cutouts in order to access those connectors. The original post has some of those cases pictured. In addition to ASUS, MaxSun, and now MSI, Gigabyte also had a similar concept with Project Stealth.”

View attachment 556199

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/305910/...therboard-with-connectors-on-the-reverse-side
I don't think this is a good solution, at all. Cases will have to become wider to accomodate the space needed for the cables, without smashing them.
I only see this being decent, if you are also willing to buy custom, highly flexible cables. And/or right angle connectors. And at least in the case shown above, those cutouts do not provide space for right angle connectors.

In the end, its a novelty, which isn't going to bring any practical benefit. And will severly limit board and case choice.

I don't think this is a good solution, at all. Cases will have to become wider to accomodate the space needed for the cables, without smashing them.
I only see this being decent, if you are also willing to buy custom, highly flexible cables. And/or right angle connectors. And at least in the case shown above, those cutouts do not provide space for right angle connectors.

In the end, its a novelty, which isn't going to bring any practical benefit. And will severly limit board and case choice.
Most cases I've used in the past decade have already been wide enough to have cables behind the back panel. The MB being on risers already means there's already 6.5mm of useless, wasted space in every case width already.
9/10 times I'm snaking things like the 24pin and 8 pin power behind the board anyway, just to awkwardly bend then to the front of the board as close to the plug as possible. Having these cables simply end behind the board, possibly closer to CPU socket, would actually save a ton of space and potential cable length.

I'm all for this, as long as motherboard cutouts behind the board get a little more standard.

Most cases I've used in the past decade have already been wide enough to have cables behind the back panel. The MB being on risers already means there's already 6.5mm of useless, wasted space in every case width already.
9/10 times I'm snaking things like the 24pin and 8 pin power behind the board anyway, just to awkwardly bend then to the front of the board as close to the plug as possible. Having these cables simply end behind the board, possibly closer to CPU socket, would actually save a ton of space and potential cable length.

I'm all for this, as long as motherboard cutouts behind the board get a little more standard.
The cables still need to bend/lay over nicely. And a lot of stock PSU cables can't exactly do that. I have a Corsair SF750 SFX PSU, which is lauded for coming with nice ribbon cables. Yes, they look nice. But, they aren't super flexible like the really good custome cables. The ATX connection and addition CPU power connection, still needs 1 inch+ of cable looping upward from the connector. They don't lay down nicely and would be smashed in the image above.

I mean shouldn't be too hard to get a hole in the motherboard tray there if you believe in yourself <3

I think that's where the problem lies. The cutouts would have to be standardized or this is dead in the water. None of the usual rgb type nonsense where every company does their own thing. Quite frankly, that's exactly what we can expect imo. These mb manufacturers are so busy trying to differentiate themselves there's no way they would agree to one standard.

Maybe if they start small, with say rgb, argb and fan headers on the back. Or more realistically, usb and rgb connections. I can see that being widely and quickly adopted. If they can adopt a standard layout for the simple stuff there may be hope for the rest.

Back