MSI already updating 3080 Trio with a Version 2 ?

dave343

[H]ard|Gawd
Watching JayzTwoCents recent video where he mentions that MSI has or is coming out with a version 2 of it's 3080 Trio card, but MSI did this silently. Did they change the CAPS from POS to all MLCC's and if so where does this leave user's who literally just paid $900 for one? That would be a harsh burn from MSI... not even 2 weeks after I bought this card.

I've checked MSI's website and it now list's two Trio X 3080 cards but I can't see a difference unless the photo's are being reused for both... so can anyone elaborate on what JayzTwoCents was talking about when he mentioned MSI was silently dropping a 2nd version of the card? And what changes are being implemented?

Last edited:
This is why I never early adopt tech and you should get a card swap if MSI is ethical.

Looks like they needed to fill the gap and added another card with a higher boost clock. EVGA has done the same with their lower end cards. JayzTwoCents needs to stop with the stirring the pot the shit.

Looks like they needed to fill the gap and added another card with a higher boost clock. EVGA has done the same with their lower end cards. JayzTwoCents needs to stop with the stirring the pot the shit.

Well, it is how he makes money. WORST LAUNCH EVER!!!!!!!

PCB versions generally don't increment that way, but its very likely that many of these companies will include more MLCC's and fewer POSCAPS simply because, it will improve sales. No one wants to buy the POSCAP cards as they are perceived as being inferior. This really isn't true as the change to the boost clock tables really won't impact performance much if at all. Also, these GPU's are pretty much at the wall for overclocking. You need shunt mods etc. to get them to clock higher. Der8auer did a video on the subject and on one card, I think he got 25-30MHz more headroom from changing out some POSCAPS for MLCC's. Basically, it's nothing.

If your card is working the way it should, does it really matter? hardware revisions happen all the time, this isn’t a new phenomenon.

if you’re that worried about your card, return it.

Very true. Creative Labs is famous for making subsequent versions of its cards worse over time. They would drop features and use cheaper hardware as time went on. GIGABYTE has a really nasty habit of releasing 2nd PCB revisions of motherboards that could have fairly drastic differences. I've seen subtle changes on ASUS PCB's over the years. I've also seen some pretty big differences between review samples and retail products. That's why we always tried to get retail samples at HardOCP. That way our experiences lined up with our reader's experiences much more closely.

For example, I got a pre-release version of Intel's D5400XS motherboard. This motherboard developed compatibility problems with some later GPU's as I ran it for a very long time. I thought the board was going out, and grabbed a retail one as they were actively sold for quite some time. The retail version had quite a few changes to it that were never outlined. Intel desktop boards did this quite often, even going so far as to change VRM specs on the same board. There were guides as to which versions of a given board supported certain CPU's and which ones didn't.

And holy shit, if you want to get into it, Corsair is about the worst offender when it comes to their RAM. Buy a kit of DDR4 3600MHz RAM one day, and buy another 6 weeks later and you won't necessarily get the same thing. G.SKILL? Check your part numbers. They literally sell B-Die and Hynix equipped modules as the same thing. The part numbers are one letter off of each other. There is no other way to differentiate them than by those part numbers or by installing both and looking at their differences in CPU-Z, HWInfo64, etc.

This stuff literally happens all the time and 99% of the time, the general populace and even most enthusiasts were completely unaware of it. This isn't limited to the PC industry either. It happens with consumer electronics, automobiles and even firearms. Subtle changes are made throughout production runs of various goods to reduce their cost of manufacturing or to correct for subtle flaws that might not even effect that many people, but are enough to get the attention of the manufacturer.

If your worried about it, I'll buy your POSCAP infested 3090 or 3080 right now at full price. :)

Back