MSI Afterburner Spinning r9 fury x 100%

Hulk

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a r9 fury x GPU and I've been using Speed Fan to control the speed of it. I've been really happy with it but decided to tune it with MSI Afterburner so that at start up it wouldn't run at 15% (the stock setting) but instead at 5% since I'm not gaming all the time. I've been using speed fan to control the speed when gaming, I usually just leave it at 15% or sometimes bump it up to 25% and just leave it there and temps never go above 40c.

Well, the plan backfired. I've been messing with MSI Afterburner for a couple of days now and now at both startup and shutdown the fan spins at 100%!!!

Even when windows loads I have to go to either speed fan or MSI afterburner and decrease the speed manually. It is very annoying especially since I have a HDD and not an SSD so it takes some time to load windows.

Any advice?

I've seriously tried everything and can't seem to figure it out. Maybe it's something simple that I am missing?

have you opened wattman at all? i know there was an issue with the radeon 7's when using afterburner if you opened wattman at all at any point it would always default to what ever wattman is set at instead of afterburner.. it could also be something related to a target temp which may not be an option on fury x (never owned or used one so not sure) but is for vega/radeon 7 so it's just assuming 0C target temp is 100% fan speed maybe. i haven't messed with afterburner in years though but those would be my guesses.

^^ exactly what I was gonna say about wattman but that wasn't just on R7s, my RX470 does it too. if I touch anything in wattman and then afterburner tries to control the fans they get pegged to 100%. so if you have opened/touched anything in wattman you'll probably have to remove afterburner, then run ddu, reinstall the newest video drivers, and finally reinstall afterburner. then never go into wattman again. oh and this could be the same issue with speedfan. having multiple programs trying to control the fan is what causes it.

Back