MSI Afterburner 4.6.0 Beta Supports Automatic Pascal Overclocking

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
While the stable version of MSI Afterburner already supports Nvidia's OC scanner tool, the feature only works on RTX 2000 series cards. However, the developers recently posted a new Afterburner beta that supports automatic overclocking on Pascal (GTX 1000 series) cards. The new version also adds voltage/frequency curve editing for AMD GPUs, as well as support for voltage tweaking on a few RTX 2080 TIs with custom PCBs, among other things. Guru3D notes that 4.6.0 is still in beta, and isn't intended for widespread use in systems where stability is important, but you can grab the latest binaries on Guru3D's download page if you want to give them a shot.

Gents, this is a public beta, but it is just that, an early beta. Considering the binary is spreading fast I decided to move the beta towards a public beta on the download pages so you can securely and safely download it from Guru3D. The new beta holds V/F curve support for AMD cards, OC Scanner for Pascal GPUs, new monitoring GUI enhancements and much, much more.

Will be tinkering with it when I'm off work here in a few hours, never messed with the voltage/frequency on my 1080 before, just threw the power limit to 120%.

Let's see how well it does.

Will be tinkering with it when I'm off work here in a few hours, never messed with the voltage/frequency on my 1080 before, just threw the power limit to 120%.

Let's see how well it does.

Hello,

I ran this on my MSI 1080Ti Sea-Hawk with a custom bios and when it got 12 minutes into stage 4/4 it black-screened on me and never came back (needed to reboot). I think it was trying to +178 (2177mhz) my GPU which it cant do. unless i pump the Vcore to 1.15 then I can hit (2114mhz) but, the card will crash if it goes over 58°c at this speed (only used for benching)

I normally run my 1080Ti @ 2101mhz 1.1v and it will NEVER go above 56° using Furmark, it's VRM is also custom cooled (30-48°c in games with 60vsync-on)

I use the "EQ" on the left of the Core Clock slider to adjust my core speed to a specific voltage and check temps and stability as go.

I wish you better auto-clock results, have a great night!

I tried this on my RTX 2070, and after it had done its thing, it seemed to forget what it had done and all clocks were set to default settings. Oh well, it’s beta.

Is this only for the GPU, or is it supposed to OC the memory too, as it did not touch memory on mine?

Also, do any of you guys know the current state of BIOS editing on the RTX range?

Last edited:
It created a custom voltage/clock curve that i was too lazy to do myself. it came out with a +167 core, I had it at +150

Just a quick follow up on what I was able to get without much effort, 350 the memory and 125 on the stock clock, power limit at 120, and I do have a steep fan curve (50% at 50*C, 75% at 60*C and 100% at 70*C)

So far, not a single problem, I've been testing it in Hellblade: Suana's Sacrifice, seems to be a good benchmark game, getting between 70-90FPS in most areas with the graphics maxed.

Going to go for a bit more and get FurMark out, unless someone has any other good guides on what to use?

Also... haven't touched voltage yet, not something I've done before. Any good starting points for tinkering with this?

I will give this a go tomorrow. My 1070 can do 2050 MHz base clock and 2063 MHz boost for the core and 9400 MHz on the memory. That has been my 24/7 overclock for a long time now.
I am expecting it to go completely overboard with the overclock causing a crash, or giving a boring, conservative overclock.

Also... haven't touched voltage yet, not something I've done before. Any good starting points for tinkering with this?

I always do 100% on the voltage slider. Having lower than 90% voltage does reduce my core clock.

Back