MSI Afterbuner Alternatives...or

CruisD64

2[H]4U
Hey all...so MSI Afterburner crashes my system. I've been trying to overclock my 4930k from 4Ghz to something in the 4.5 range and I kept getting crashes. Some "KMODE" bsod which I figured out was being caused by MSI Afterburner. Upon uninstalling it, my overclock was totally stable. No crashes whatsoever and I haven't experienced any issues. However, I do want to play with my 1080ti's overclocking potential.

Has anyone experienced this issue that I'm having? I don't think I'm the only one who has had system crashes from MSI Afterburner. Are there any solutions? Or am I stuck using another program?

Thanks!

i've never seen any issue related to MSI afterburner regarding CPU overclocking unless the monitoring software could be causing issues with other monitoring software or mobo sensors.

about an alternative, EVGA Precision X is a solid one for both monitoring and overclocking but at the end you can use whatever software from the GPU manufacturer.

Kmode (IIRC) is running the video card at full speed all the time. I haevn't heard of that causing issues with CPU OC's, but I guess I could see that happening. And I use Precision all the time, but mainly because I use EVGA cards.

The odd thing is IBT fails even at default clocks when MSI Afterburner is running. I tried it just to be sure. I'll try EVGA Precision. Was just hoping to use MSI since thats what I've used in the past and my card is an MSI :)

The odd thing is IBT fails even at default clocks when MSI Afterburner is running. I tried it just to be sure. I'll try EVGA Precision. Was just hoping to use MSI since thats what I've used in the past and my card is an MSI :)

have you tried re-installing it ?. is a really odd issue..

Why don't you just OC the CPU in the BIOS. Its really not that hard, and the recommended way to do so.

In all my years of overclocking I have NEVER used software based.

I think you misunderstood me. My CPU is overclocked in the bios. I've actually never used software for it. My earlier point was that even at stock settings, my PC fails IBT with MSI Afterburner installed. Maybe it's an incompatibility with IBT and MSI afterburner. I dunno. Without AB running, it is fine.

I'm using MSI Afterburner with an EVGA Precision skin (for Kboost).

Zero issues.

I'm using MSI Afterburner with an EVGA Precision skin (for Kboost).

Zero issues.

Yeah. I'm beginning to think it's just a one off case. Something to do with my motherboard maybe. Doesn't make sense. I've had computers in the past that worked just fine with MSI Afterburner and IBT. I've been building and troubleshooting systems for over 20 years now and this one just doesn't really make sense. Oh well. EVGA Precision appears to be working so I'll probably just stick with that.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Back