MSI 980 gaming 4g. DANNNGGG

Filter

[H]F Junkie
1602 on core., only have taken memory to 3800mhz. 65c with fans max.

runs rock stable. some games it hits power limits and down clocks to 1586.

one hell of a card. wish nvidia wouldn't have these stupid limiters.

Damn that's really impressive for a card on air cooling. It's also impressive because it's a GTX 980. I have looked around and 1600mhz is super rare. The 970s seem to get to 1600mhz way more often. Cheers man.

Enjoy that beast.

Congrats, that is a rare one.:eek: The majority of oc results I've seen are in the vicinity of 1.5GHz

1602 on core., only have taken memory to 3800mhz. 65c with fans max.

runs rock stable. some games it hits power limits and down clocks to 1586.

one hell of a card. wish nvidia wouldn't have these stupid limiters.

What are your settings in Afterburner?

Nice OC! I have my 980 at 1500 right now and it slays everything I throw at it. I might have to push a bit to see what my limit is.

I'm leaving mine at stock until there's a game demanding more horse power in the future.;)

That's amazing, I'm salivating at the thought of what a classified or HOF edition can clock to

What are your settings in Afterburner?

+87 core voltage
power limiter 122%
core +209
memory +300 havent tried higher

fan at 100% since there so quiet.

just added a 2nd one so hope it clocks high as well.

Oh man it will be a shame if your 2nd card can't get anywhere close. Probably makes sense to keep this card as the top one then too.

Hot damn. Lucky bastard with that card.

This gives me hope we will see a 2ghz card in the next couple years, albeit on a newer architecture.

Sadly I think your going to run into a long documented issue that was discovered in my thread http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1834506 and even posted as a dvier bug and a thread created for it in the official geforce forums.

In SLi one of your cards (usually top one) will run about .50mv less than the other card. Even if you bump the voltage up on it or don't overclock at all. My card 1 runs at 1.162 (that's less than reference voltage) Card 2 runs at 1.250v.

The end result of that is that even if each of your cards can run at 1600mhz. More than likely once you put your cards in SLi the card that is undervolted will not be able to reach the same clocks.

Hopefully nvidia fixes this soon. See here https://forums.geforce.com/default/...r-voltage-than-the-other-driver-bug-/#4330578

The 980s do seem to like to OC quite a lot. I have a Gigabyte G1 card and have it running at about 1500mhz no issues. Haven't tried anything higher yet since there's been no need, but all I did was turn it up to get that and it runs 60ish degrees so no complaints.

Damn that's really impressive for a card on air cooling. It's also impressive because it's a GTX 980. I have looked around and 1600mhz is super rare. The 970s seem to get to 1600mhz way more often. Cheers man.

Enjoy that beast.
Really? Where are these 970 cards that clock that high? I have not seen a single one get anywhere near that. Not mention there are only a couple cards that have enough TDP room for that to even theoretically be possible.

Enjoy that beast.

that's how it always is. the more shaders, the lower the clocks (within the same architecture.)

that's how it always is. the more shaders, the lower the clocks (within the same architecture.)
No that is not how it always is. The 970 has much lower power cap in many cases so it cant oc higher than the 980. And what he claimed is not true at all anyway from the dozens of reviews I have looked at. These Maxwell overclocks come down the bios and tdp for the cards. Many of the non reference cards are power hogs too and not even the reference cards are as efficient as Nvidia claims.

No that is not how it always is. The 970 has much lower power cap in many cases so it cant oc higher than the 980. And what he claimed is not true at all anyway from the dozens of reviews I have looked at. These Maxwell overclocks come down the bios and tdp for the cards. Many of the non reference cards are power hogs too and not even the reference cards are as efficient as Nvidia claims.

you're right. i don't know where i got that from.

Go to my thread and you'll see some people hitting 1600mhz+ on the core. The thing is to do that you'll need to leave vcore and ram at modest clocks since they help get you to that TDP wall faster. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1834506

Also look around, there are many people hitting 1600mhz on GTX 970s. 980s such as mine top off between 1500-1550. (the good ones.)

970s overclock better since they have a SM disabled. At least that's why I see people with 970s easily getting beyond 1550mhz where as most GTX 980s struggle to get there.

I'm curious if you can monitor VRM temperatures on this card?

On the the MSI forums it was mentioned that the GTX 980 gaming actually has a temperature sensor for the VRMs, as the fans can do independent speeds, one based on GPU temps and the other based on VRM temps.

Or maybe it just isn't exposed to monitoring software.

Well I dont want to look through 11 pages right now but will take a gander later. Going by official reviews I have not seen a single 970 hit 1600 much less maintain it. In fact I would say the average 970 does about 1450 before hitting TDP limit. Heck my 970 was throttling at 1400. The MSI gaming cards are about as good as it gets and have a BIOS that allows much more headroom and even that could only do 1542 in the review here.

Which model did you have?

There is going to be more model variance though with the 970 more so since the only available sample is customs with rather wide range in terms of board quality, including some more "budget" oriented board designs with correspondingly more conservative power limits.

By comparison the 980 reference sets a sort of baseline.

Well I dont want to look through 11 pages. Going by official reviews I have not seen a single 970 hit 1600 much less maintain it. In fact I would say the average 970 does about 1450 before hitting TDP limit. Heck my 970 was throttling at 1400. The MSI gaming cards are about as good as it gets and have a BIOS that allows much more headroom and even that could only do 1542 in the review here.

In the review here they pushed the vram quite far which used up some of the boards power. Again there are 970s that are hitting 1600mhz + I'm not so sure why that is so hard to believe. Reviews aren't always going to be the tell all to what some gpu's can do. Your mileage may vary. The review may have had a great but not golden sample of a 970 gaming. In my thread there are reputable forum members that are hitting those clocks and have tested and found their throttle points and found where they would like to be. Sometimes you need to leave the ram at stock to get 1600mhz on the vore because of the TDP limit. This also isn't the only forum. Look around. Just because your skeptical doesn't mean it's not happening and not happening a lot on top of that.

i got two coming tomorrow

What can i expect to get in SLI for an overclock ? I am thinking around 1450 core fans on auto

I dont plan on running my fans 100 percent or a custom fan profile

Grats the most i can get my 980 to do is 1504 mhz rock solid in every game. Very rarely i have seen it throttle to 1497 but that was so rare it was for a split second and didn't seem to do it more than a few times. It was always due to hitting the power limit of 125% tdp.

Enjoy that beast.

The differences between the GTX 970 and GTX 980 are in the GPU - not anywhere else. (In other words, the GTX 970 is a gimped GTX 980.) Therefore, how held back a given game is BY that gimping depends on the game - not anything else. While for some games with a given GPU, you will need more CPU; with others, tag-teaming a GTX 970 with as little as PentiumG3258 is enough for maxed-out 1080p. It is also likely that some of those firewalled@1080p titles can do DSRed 3K (1.5x screen resolution of 1920x1080) if not DSRed 4K (3840x2160) with the same G3258. That is a $600USD upgrade for any desktop with a 600W PSU of decent quality (CPU, GPU, motherboard, memory) if you live near a MicroCenter (and marginally more if you are limited to e-tail - primarily due to CPU costs).

Yes - I get the economy biteth - however, it's still doable - and doable-on-the-relatively-cheap compared to just twelve months ago. The biggest issue is GPU inventory.

The differences between the GTX 970 and GTX 980 are in the GPU - not anywhere else. (In other words, the GTX 970 is a gimped GTX 980.) Therefore, how held back a given game is BY that gimping depends on the game - not anything else. While for some games with a given GPU, you will need more CPU; with others, tag-teaming a GTX 970 with as little as PentiumG3258 is enough for maxed-out 1080p. It is also likely that some of those firewalled@1080p titles can do DSRed 3K (1.5x screen resolution of 1920x1080) if not DSRed 4K (3840x2160) with the same G3258. That is a $600USD upgrade for any desktop with a 600W PSU of decent quality (CPU, GPU, motherboard, memory) if you live near a MicroCenter (and marginally more if you are limited to e-tail - primarily due to CPU costs).

Yes - I get the economy biteth - however, it's still doable - and doable-on-the-relatively-cheap compared to just twelve months ago. The biggest issue is GPU inventory.

Mostly accurate. Depending on the manufacturer and what liberties they've taken on the design of the GTX 970 some are limited by the TDP and power distribution Chips on the PCB of the actual card. Some others have not done any limitations there and have only done limitations in the firmware of the card to keep the GTX 970 at 145 Watts vs the 980 at 165 watts. In those cases you can modify the actual bios now that this is doable.

See Nvidia's info on the power delivery system that is lacking on the reference suggestions from them http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTQxMTA2MzcyNDBjUEVEMXNuZnBfNV82X2wuZ2lm. Some manufacturers didn't do this though as mentioned before so it's good to see which 970 has the feature set you want before buying.

can you post your firestrike results here please at 1576 in SLI
:D:D:D:D

is there a way to pull up old results with the demo? i have a screen from my cell phone of just the score 20823. but i know what information you want to see.

i have tri sli in the system at the moment and no way i can hit those with the heat of the 3 cards. ill re run it on dual sli again this weekend at those speeds for you. unless you can tell me a way to pull up old scores with the demo.

here is a screen pic with single card all day at 1601mhz in star citizen. i didn't save any benchmark scores on the single card.

10672267_10152739213804463_4684263685839600834_n.jpg

i got two coming tomorrow

What can i expect to get in SLI for an overclock ? I am thinking around 1450 core fans on auto

I dont plan on running my fans 100 percent or a custom fan profile

Really depends on the unit, maybe the game too. Mine doesn't seem to like to go over stock, though remember stock is actually a 100MHZish OC on these. When I was trying it with AC4 I had no trouble getting it to run at 1500MHz, but the game would crash after an hour or two no BSOD or driver error, just a game crash. Back at stock, no issues, the game would run until I got fed up with it (which happened pretty quickly :p).

So it probably is luck, to a degree.

Mostly accurate. Depending on the manufacturer and what liberties they've taken on the design of the GTX 970 some are limited by the TDP and power distribution Chips on the PCB of the actual card. Some others have not done any limitations there and have only done limitations in the firmware of the card to keep the GTX 970 at 145 Watts vs the 980 at 165 watts. In those cases you can modify the actual bios now that this is doable.

See Nvidia's info on the power delivery system that is lacking on the reference suggestions from them http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTQxMTA2MzcyNDBjUEVEMXNuZnBfNV82X2wuZ2lm. Some manufacturers didn't do this though as mentioned before so it's good to see which 970 has the feature set you want before buying.

Still, that is easily the lowest price for a FTB upgrade (full-tilt-boogie) - and the GPU is over half the cost. The ONLY assumptions I am making are the following:

1. The target case will hold all of the new components. (Basically, either mid-tower or full-tower.)

2. You already have a proper PSU; however, even if you don't, unless you get overly pricey, it will add - at worst - $100USD to that cost.

3. Drives and OS will remain unchanged - a safe bet unless you are running Windows Vista or earlier.

I dragged in the G3258 because of various bundles (especially that of MicroCenter) and some curiousity as to how hobbling it actually is with this GPU. Depending on the game, it hardly is. While there may be some QA/QC issues for certain manufacturers, it is still general availability that is the biggest issue.

Still, that is easily the lowest price for a FTB upgrade (full-tilt-boogie) - and the GPU is over half the cost. The ONLY assumptions I am making are the following:

1. The target case will hold all of the new components. (Basically, either mid-tower or full-tower.)

2. You already have a proper PSU; however, even if you don't, unless you get overly pricey, it will add - at worst - $100USD to that cost.

3. Drives and OS will remain unchanged - a safe bet unless you are running Windows Vista or earlier.

I dragged in the G3258 because of various bundles (especially that of MicroCenter) and some curiousity as to how hobbling it actually is with this GPU. Depending on the game, it hardly is. While there may be some QA/QC issues for certain manufacturers, it is still general availability that is the biggest issue.

I have been able to finish firestrike at 1550 boost with my g1 gaming card

I am itching to get one as I want to upgrade from my current 290X Lightning :) - The Gaming 4G looks like a winner for sure!

Back