MSI 970 (Gaming Version)

Hulk

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a quick question on the gaming version, the one with the red fans, what are the idle temps on this card? I read that the fans turn on only when temps get over 60 degrees. I was going to go with the Gigabutt version but 1) it has 3 80mm fans which are louder than 2 100mm fans, 2) fans don't turn off when card is not under load and 3) it probably my won't fit in my HAF-22 case.

Also, is there any coil whine?

-Mid 30s idle on my card
-I can't hear the fans kick on, they are really quiet
-Some minor coil whine, gets worse with FPS over 100 FPS and doesn't get much worse with load. If you do the 3DMark test that get over 2000 FPS you can *definitely* hear the card in my PC

I can't hear any coil whine with my card, but I'm going to definitely move the PC today and test it again as i'm very curious.

For me the card idles in the 30's and the load temps never really go past mid 60's. I have mine in an mitx case as well.

I can't hear any coil whine with my card, but I'm going to definitely move the PC today and test it again as i'm very curious.

For me the card idles in the 30's and the load temps never really go past mid 60's. I have mine in an mitx case as well.

Just run 3D Mark Demo, click on "All Benchmarks", and you will hear it squeal during the Ice Storm tests. If this isn't the case I would be really surprised.

Just run 3D Mark Demo, click on "All Benchmarks", and you will hear it squeal during the Ice Storm tests. If this isn't the case I would be really surprised.

I did not run IceStorm as I was focusing on skydiver/firestrike. I will test ice storm this evening and see how bad mine is.

Back