MSI 8800GT $208 @ Dell.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just figured i'd post my experience for others; just fyi, all the contact I made w/ dell was done through online chat.

Same as many of you, I ordered the MSI on 11/24. I don't recall the timing, but I do remember being one of the earlier ones to order. Delayed twice; my friend who had ordered the xfx at the same time complained to customer service...he got his card w/ $30 off AND overnight s/h. So I tried, and after complaining to customer service a few times, my order was abruptly cancelled on 12/24 w/o any notifications on their part. It was due to ship 12/26...

I complained again to customer service, they did the typical attempt at routing me around to different departments. I gave up and decided to try the next morning, as most of my attempts at contacting dell had been done in the evening (PST) while my "successful" friend had contacted CS around 10AM.

Success! I bitched at parts & accessories about the entire situation, and the guy told me to order one of the other 8800GT cards that were available. I asked about price matching and he said "while i cannot guarantee any concessions, i will go as far to say i have never heard of customer service NOT taking care of anyone".

I talked to CS again after placing my order for the eVGA 8800GT (@289.99 I think? whatever the normal price was). The CS agent offered me $75, I responded by "how about $100 and overnight s/h?"...he gave me $90 + equivalent tax + overnight. Was scheduled to ship 2/12, but it came in the mail the next day (12/29?)

I had to prod the parts&accessories sales chat guy in the direction of ordering an equivalent card then price matching, but this strategy seems to work. Most of the CS agents were dumb and kept rehashing the situation about MSI cards being out of stock, so if you try to complain, i would suggest showing that you already know what's going on and instead direct the conversation towards "i know the shit is fucked up, but what are you going to do about it; how about giving me a 8800GT made by a competing manufacturer"

And also fyi; after I placed the order and got the CS agent to cave in, i was told to contact the CS dept again AFTER the order shipped, then provide my case number in order to get the $90 credit (which was processed fairly quick after I got my card)

Got an email around lunch saying my order has been delayed futher (Order date 11/2707 > Delayed 12/10/07 > Delayed 1/03/08 > Delayed 1/10/08). Well I decided to call and see what's going on and what can be done. Spoke to 6 different people including a sup and manager. The sup slipped and said the mfg has stopped shipping this card to them. I'm like, "Well, shouldn't you guys tell your customer base this?" She said, "We will" with no time frame whatsoever. There's no telling how long they have known this and done nothing.

In a nutshell, they don't have this card and don't plan on getting any more! I asked if they could sub a card for the same price and they said the best they could do is $250. I said I will not pay a penny more and they can cancel my order. I also said I will to file a complaint with their upper management and the BBB. I encourage you all to file some kind of complaints so our voices will be heard. The Dell escalation team is supposed to call me within 24 hrs and I will keep you all updated.

The sup slipped and said the mfg has stopped shipping this card to them. I'm like, "Well, shouldn't you guys tell your customer base this?" She said, "We will" with no time frame whatsoever. There's no telling how long they have known this and done nothing.

I was told by a few CS agents that not only did they stop shipping, but the mfg straight up stopped MAKING the cards. Complain like hell about your horrible experience, and demand that they give you an equivalent 8800GT at the same price!

Me: “I just feel that it is unfair that I have waited a month only for my order to be cancelled, then the price to increase so much”
Me: “and on top of that I have to wait another 6 weeks”
Agent: “Alright, we’ll refund $75 on this. Is it fine now?”
Me: “Can you refund $100 :)
Me: “with overnight shipping!”
Agent: “Alright, we’ll give you overnight shipping with $90 + proportionate tax, once the card is shipped out.”

Trust me, I tried to no avail. Although with the escalation team calling me back, the manager did say he would leave my order "as is".

honestly I think it also depends on what agent you get; some were dumb bastards that wouldn't even route me anywhere, while others seemed more readily eager to help. I probably talked to at least 10 CS agents alone, then a few in sales, but I guess I got lucky. Saw earlier in the thread that some guy got his card for $167, but I'm fine and content with the eVGA @ $200.99 lol.

Dell messed up with 8800GTs. After the third delay till late January I canceled mine. However, dell is not the only one. I ordered canon 5d with lens (order over $3000) via amazon, and guess what, they don't have it, back ordered...Can this be the way for these companies to boost their sales at the end of the year? on paper it is sold, everyone happy (except the customers)... I have no other explanation to this BS

Well, although the website is still showing my ship date as today (originally 12/10, then 12/17, then 12/26, then 1/4), I just did a chat and the rep told me that the shipping date would be changed to 1/28. Ridiculous, but not unexpected. Fortunately, she did confirm a fax number where I can fax documents to the General Counsel's office, so that's a huge step forward for me.

What do ya know, just checked my order status and it's been delayed AGAIN from 1/4/08 to 1/11/08.

At least it's only 1 week this time. And thank goodness I don't really need these cards; I'd be bent if I was waiting on these to build a system or something.

The way this is going, it looks like I'll have better luck getting them for $99 on Black Friday 2008 before I ever see the Dell units.

A friend of mine got bumped to 1/11 too. The other two of us that ordered got canceled. He's pretty sure he will never see it but he is going to stick it out.

I just ordered the stock-speed 512MB EVGA 8800GT from ncix. $247 shipped. Not a deal, but not terrible either.

Wow, this is still going on? Glad I bailed weeks ago. To those still waiting; do yourselves a favor and cancel your order and buy something else. If price is an issue buy a 3870 or even 3850 from the red side. I've been a longtime Nvidia supporter but with my last 2 7900gt s crapping out I thought I'd try the grass on the other side of the hill and I'm glad I did.

I can't believe Dell would either a) alienate customers by continuing to push back delivery dates to avoid selling cards at no profit (or a loss) or b) alienate customers by continuing to push back delivery dates even though they know they do not have the cards in stock (and likely never will:rolleyes:).

A friend of mine got bumped to 1/11 too. The other two of us that ordered got canceled. He's pretty sure he will never see it but he is going to stick it out.

I similarly was bumped to 1/11. No luck with customer service. And it looks like (on Dell's website and by customer service) there is nothing even roughly equivalent in stock that they could cut a price deal on. I was offered an 8600GT 256MB or an 8800GTS 320 MB card as possible in-stock options.

So, this sucker is still sticking it out. I wonder if the 9800's will be out before the card ships.

Wow, this is still going on? Glad I bailed weeks ago. To those still waiting; do yourselves a favor and cancel your order and buy something else. If price is an issue buy a 3870 or even 3850 from the red side. I've been a longtime Nvidia supporter but with my last 2 7900gt s crapping out I thought I'd try the grass on the other side of the hill and I'm glad I did.

I can't believe Dell would either a) alienate customers by continuing to push back delivery dates to avoid selling cards at no profit (or a loss) or b) alienate customers by continuing to push back delivery dates even though they know they do not have the cards in stock (and likely never will:rolleyes:).

ditto

If you guys really don't need a card now try to get a 9800GT to replace it eventually.

Still getting this story together....but the short of it is that the disty (Tech Data) offered the cards to Dell and they had 200 to sell. Dell sold somewhere between 4000 to 6000 depending on the source. Dell reached out to MSI and NVIDIA to help get the orders filled, but it is my opinion that if MSI supplies the cards to Dell at these low retail prices, NVIDIA will cut off MSI's allocation of GPUs.

So...

1. Dell screwed up and sold WAY MORE than they ever had stock on.

2. Dell asked MSI and NVIDIA for help. None was given.

3. MSI is afraid of getting their GPU supply cut if they supply the cards at the prices being sold.

4. NVIDIA does not want $208 GTs on the market.

This information chain has been gathered after speaking with 5 different sources that have insight to the situation. There is more to the story, but none that really matters IMO.

Bottom Line: You are not likely to ever get the card you ordered. That said, you should be able to leverage this situation to possibly get you a break otherwise. Remember you will catch more flies with honey...and the customer service reps are people just like you and are NOT to blame.

BUT LET ME BE CLEAR ON THIS....Dell has reached out to MSI and NVIDIA to get this situation rememdied and no support has been given on this particular part.

I think Dell should have jumped on the oppurtunity to please its customers or at least come clean and explain the whole ordeal instead of out and out lying in some cases. I hope those of you trying to get some form of compensation or deal are successful. He is right that freaking out on them will not be the best choice of action, It was nice ClubIT and BFG tried to cater to some of those affected. hopefully another company or two will step up to the plate. The amount of money lost on one order is nothing compared to the potential of having a customer for life. I think most people order from the same several sources more than trying something new all the time. Good Luck guys and gals.

t was nice ClubIT and BFG tried to cater to some of those affected. hopefully another company or two will step up to the plate.

Extremely nice. I wish, having been a customer of both, that I'd jumped at the offers instead of trying to stick it out. Oh well. Win some, lose some. At this point, it would have been better for Dell to have tried to cut a deal with MSI and nVIDIA even if it lost money in the bargain and be very public about what it was doing to do right by its customers. The good press that they could have spun from that would have probably been worth the financial cost.

But who knows what exactly was said or offered behind closed doors. I certainly understand nVIDIA not wanting to see tons of super-discounted new cards on the market. But since 5 of my last 6 graphic cards have been nVIDIA cards, I'd love to see them consider the customers caught in this and not just the bottom line. Still, it wasn't their screw-up.

I just wish Dell's ordering system let them actually cut off the orders at the correct point in time when the cards actually ran out.

#4 As long as suppliers are paying Nvidia the cost that Nvidia is asking, I'm not sure why they care. I suppose they don't want to devalue the part, but the orders were already taken. It's not like Dell is cornering the market by flooding the market with low cost goods. Heh, it's not like Dell's flooding the market with anything.
Don't be so surprised. This happens more often than you realize. Ever see how much Bose products cost? They cost a lot because stores are not allowed to lower the price on Bose equipment, otherwise they are cut off. They'd like to maintain the illusion of high quality by having high prices. However, unlike nVidia, Bose products are terrible and this is starting to work against them.

Most of you act like a couple of 6 year old boys throwing a temper tantrum because you didn't get the latest toy.

I ordered one on 11/27 - I knew it was a price that was almost too good to be true. I've been alerted by dell every couple weeks that it's out of stock and I can cancel my order should I wish with no penalty otherwise they'll try to get it to me in the near future.

I've gone through this before with Dell, on a cheaply priced camcorder but I eventually got the part.

Quit whining, asking for discounts, free shipping, free parts whatever.....If I was Dell I couldn't couldn't care less about losing nearly eveyone of you in this forum the way you are acting.

There are some of us who will patiently wait it out and either get it or not.

There's NO reason to act juvenille. If you don't like it, cancel your order. You've lost nothing.

There's NO reason to act juvenille. If you don't like it, cancel your order. You've lost nothing.

Juvenile?

Was that directed at me for filing a complaint asking for investigation into possible criminal activity?

It's not about getting the stupid video card any more.
It's about holding these companies accountable to their word and for abiding by legal and honest business practices.

I'm not worried about this "deal" anymore, just as I'm not worried about dell anymore. There won't be another dime of my money spent on anything made or sold by dell because I'm tired of dell's garbage, and not just in relation to this mess.....

I finally cancelled when I got my latest delay notice and promptly purchased an EVGA 8800GTS 512Mb from the Egg for only about $330 after all the rebates are applied. It was still a little more expensive than I originally anticipated spending, but I had begun to want something with a larger stock cooler than the GT has on it anyway and I had the extra money to spend on it so I splurged and got it. I also just noticed that on their site they've taken off the instant $10 rebate that was in addition to the $20 mail in rebate that was there when I ordered it, and only a few hours after I ordered it, but unlike dell they've honored their price and have already shipped it.

Regardless though of what the issue or issues behind this situation are, the one that's going to get the black eye from this is going to be dell. And I don't feel a bit bad for them because there were certainly steps that could have been taken to keep something such as this from happening, but those steps weren't taken.

About all I can say for those of you who continue to wait in hopes that you'll eventually get your $209 8800GT is that at some point in time that card isn't going to even be worth $209 and will no longer be the amazing deal that it appeared to be at the time you purchased it. I'd urge you to just go ahead and cancel your order, put together a few more dollars, and shop somewhere else and get a card that you'll be just as happy with, and probably more because you'll actually have it........Good luck to you if you decide to continue to wait it out though...

Juvenile?

Was that directed at me for filing a complaint asking for investigation into possible criminal activity?

Holy shit that is fucking halarious, internet criminal activity, dude, just go to mcdonalds, get yourself a number 1 big mac combo, sit your fat ass down on your computer chair and play a couple pc games and enjoy life, no need to start a criminal activity investigation ....Seriously just stop.

You need to get your head out of your ass, they have stated in their TOS that they can cancel, your order at any time, if they don't like the numbers on your credit card, they can cancel your order and are not legally liable! You agreed to their terms.

Best you can do is just not give Dell any of your business again. That is the way of our country these days, the boycott if you don't like something. Nothing else is gonna happen, just isn't.

Most of you act like a couple of 6 year old boys throwing a temper tantrum because you didn't get the latest toy.

I ordered one on 11/27 - I knew it was a price that was almost too good to be true. I've been alerted by dell every couple weeks that it's out of stock and I can cancel my order should I wish with no penalty otherwise they'll try to get it to me in the near future.

I've gone through this before with Dell, on a cheaply priced camcorder but I eventually got the part.

Quit whining, asking for discounts, free shipping, free parts whatever.....If I was Dell I couldn't couldn't care less about losing nearly eveyone of you in this forum the way you are acting.

You make it sound like demanding an upgrade or concession is childish. Why do you believe that?

Unless you are railing against the dude who sent something to the DOJ because that is a little lol

I am listed as a noobie, but I'll have to agree with Spartacus on this one. Archaea, everything you said in the above post is utterly ridiculous... The case and point is that a hand shake does not mean anything in this world anymore. For a company like Dell that for years made its billions by offering a good product to people with excellent service, this behavior is unacceptable and intolerable. I have been waiting patiently and have been polite throughout the entire process with Dell. Sorry, not whining... It's forum flamers like you that stopped me from posting on this forum in the past. I've read some of your posts and you are one of the most negative and condescending posters I've ever seen. Get your facts straight and use your brain. Don't tote a negative post to give your ego purpose.
There have been multiple articles that outline every downfall from Dell in the last 3-5 years. Issues such as the ones in this thread are reason number 1 as to why people have become nervous when it comes to doing business with Dell. I have first-hand experience when it comes to watching Dell slowly sink. I've been a DCSE certified technician for over 5 years. I've worked with multiple vendors and manufacturers. I still recommend Dell boxes to my customers. But as far as the service and customer care, I cannot under good conscience give Dell the thumbs up on anything they've done in the last 4 years.
Instead of throwing insults and sitting high atop your perch, try understanding those of us who are being reasonable and patient. There's a difference between throwing a temper tantrum, and being upset you spent money on something that didn't exist.

No offense to anyone as I am not speaking directly to any single person here but I'm going to say something I've seen a few others say and like it or not it's just another opinion.

1. You purchased something at a ridiculously discounted price and helped the deal inflate itself by posting links to the product and coupon all over the internet. - In effect, you helped create the problem.

2. You purchased from a company that primarly sells computers, not just video cards and accessories like Newegg.

3. You also purchased from a company that, as a KNOWN fact, does not keep inventory. Anything that's ordered has to go through a supply chain, it doesn't come off the shelves like it does at Newegg.

4. Dell SHOULD have notified its customers of the dillema up-front instead of postponing the inevitable but what would you have done if they did? You'd be right back here complaining about how much Dell sucks for not getting you your video card for $100 cheaper than retail!

5. Dell not being able to provide you a video card that nvidia has slammed the breaks on has NOTHING to do with the quality of their products overall. That's like me judging HP products because I happen to dislike snowboarding and one of their many commercials happens to have an "extreme sports advocate" in it.

6. As an additional point, people need to realize something: service levels and quality will vary depending on several factors, A) The product line, B) warranty type and duration and C) The representative they get on the other end of the phone. I've had nothing but GOOD experiences dealing with Dell's Enterprise support, which is a lot more than I can say about HP or IBM - with whom I sit on the phone for hours or am forced to download diagnostics just to confirm that one of my hard drives has indeed failed. I can also say that I've had nothing but good experience with Dell's XPS support, which has never failed me. Now Inspiron and the regular desktop line is completely different and I've had some issues there - but I've also had issues with every other competitor's baseline support. The problem enters into play when corporations buy the cheap $399 desktops and then expect super service - it won't happen with any competitor either. Look at Optiplex support and PowerEdge support, it's top-notch.

If I were to black list a company based solely upon them not having something I wanted in-stock or being unable to fulfill my orders, I would have just about the entire internet blocked by now. It's a fact of life on the internet and if you're incapable of realizing or accepting that, go back to the B&M.

In the end, I think that the situation should have been handled differently by all those involved but I'd seriously look into the root cause here and not just the fact that you didn't get your insanely cheap video card. Sorry, but there are no guarantees in life.

No offense to anyone as I am not speaking directly to any single person here but I'm going to say something I've seen a few others say and like it or not it's just another opinion.

1. You purchased something at a ridiculously discounted price and helped the deal inflate itself by posting links to the product and coupon all over the internet. - In effect, you helped create the problem.

2. You purchased from a company that primarly sells computers, not just video cards and accessories like Newegg.

3. You also purchased from a company that, as a KNOWN fact, does not keep inventory. Anything that's ordered has to go through a supply chain, it doesn't come off the shelves like it does at Newegg.

4. Dell SHOULD have notified its customers of the dillema up-front instead of postponing the inevitable but what would you have done if they did? You'd be right back here complaining about how much Dell sucks for not getting you your video card for $100 cheaper than retail!

5. Dell not being able to provide you a video card that nvidia has slammed the breaks on has NOTHING to do with the quality of their products overall. That's like me judging HP products because I happen to dislike snowboarding and one of their many commercials happens to have an "extreme sports advocate" in it.

6. As an additional point, people need to realize something: service levels and quality will vary depending on several factors, A) The product line, B) warranty type and duration and C) The representative they get on the other end of the phone. I've had nothing but GOOD experiences dealing with Dell's Enterprise support, which is a lot more than I can say about HP or IBM - with whom I sit on the phone for hours or am forced to download diagnostics just to confirm that one of my hard drives has indeed failed. I can also say that I've had nothing but good experience with Dell's XPS support, which has never failed me. Now Inspiron and the regular desktop line is completely different and I've had some issues there - but I've also had issues with every other competitor's baseline support. The problem enters into play when corporations buy the cheap $399 desktops and then expect super service - it won't happen with any competitor either. Look at Optiplex support and PowerEdge support, it's top-notch.

If I were to black list a company based solely upon them not having something I wanted in-stock or being unable to fulfill my orders, I would have just about the entire internet blocked by now. It's a fact of life on the internet and if you're incapable of realizing or accepting that, go back to the B&M.

In the end, I think that the situation should have been handled differently by all those involved but I'd seriously look into the root cause here and not just the fact that you didn't get your insanely cheap video card. Sorry, but there are no guarantees in life.

I'll agree with you that Enterprise support goes far and above. However, PowerEdge and Optiplex support have not had the same track record. At least not in New England that I know of. I am speaking from the tech side of things, not the consumer. Either way, back to the original point of this thread.

Back to your comment regarding Dell not keeping inventory. This may be Dell's current reputation, but that does not exclude them from being held either accountable, or receiving bad PR regarding this fact. Nor should it. When a company does this type of thing, (and this by no means is the first time for Dell), and does not deliver on what was promised people should get upset, people should raise holy hell. Dell sold pc's to the consumer before they made billions selling to the corporation. This is not politics, nor is it hollywood. A company is doomed to fail if they forget what got them to the top.
Dell is in the retail business. If you promise something to the consumer and retract that promise enough times, the consumer could and should decide to bite... All other talking points and pointing fingers cannot refute this simple fact.

...and does not deliver on what was promised people should get upset, people should raise holy hell.
Okay, just rarely seen anyone get this upset about Newegg constantly hiking prices to ridiculous levels or canceling orders in the past. Just seems like the word "Dell" is making this an unfairly easy target and people coming in here posting things like, "I'm never buying Dell again because I didn't get my video card" makes absolutely no sense. Consumers should also be expected to use their brains and read the fine print when they order online. It's applicable everywhere, not just Dell.
Dell is in the retail business. If you promise something to the consumer and retract that promise enough times, the consumer could and should decide to bite...
The online world, like life, offers no guarantees and it says so on every retail page you go to online. "Prices not guaranteed." "Stock not guaranteed." "Delivery time is just an estimate." The world is full of best case scenarios and we as consumers need to understand this.

People getting upset because Walmart doesn't have enough Furbies on their shelves because Ebayers were buying their local stores out and selling them at 10x profit online is asinine, welcome to capitalism. You know what people did back then? They went to Target or Kmart or wherever they could get the same product for the advertised price. And you know what? That's what the people in this thread should have done.

I think a lot of people did do the kmart thing. As for myself, I'll be honest and say that I'm cheap. I constantly search for good deals because my income demands me to. I've held onto this for a long time and called dell multiple times. New update this morning. Turns out dell is going to send me a PNY version of the card at $215 a pop. I bought two and Dell has put in free overnight shipping. All in all it was something like a $250 discount on the entire order.
I worked this deal Monday but had to verify that they actually charged me the correct amount. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait until late February to get my cards. I'm completely ok with this after all the crap I've had to deal with. Dell finally met me half-way and I'm content. However, there is no reason this process should have taken 15+ hours on the phone, 5+ hours with live chat and more time on e-mail. After all of that, I got what I was promised... with minimal compromise. How much is my time worth? $250 apparently...
There are no guarantees in life; but sometimes, the squeaky wheel gets some WD40...;)

Dell sucks, not because they consistently do this kind of thing, but thier product in general does suck. With the possible exception of the monitors IMO.
I supported thier product for several years with horrible results in the form of constant hardware failures and strangely loud harddrives from manufacturers whose drives normally arent loud.
Since then I have supported thier product multiple times in my own home based business, and I can say that at least I am thankful that they make me alot of money.
I do agree that constant complaining about a product we know they dont have in stock is silly, and I was prepared to wait when I placed the order. When I got my first cancellation notice I decided to chat with Dell to make sure they didnt cancel my order.

12/19/2007 07:37:35PM Agent (Pavan Kumar): "I will make a note saying not to cancel the order in any case."

Guess what? Yep, it got cancelled

I contacted them to ask why

Agent (Muddasir Hussain): ", as the item was backordered for a long time, the order was cancelled."
12/23/2007 12:07:04PM Agent (Muddasir Hussain): ", all the orders for the GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB DDR3 PCI-E Graphics Card were cancelled as there was no supply."
12/23/2007 12:08:15PM Me : "So every single order was cancelled?, and nothing was sent out to explain the issue, its just left up to me to log in and find out myself that I am not going to be getting the order I place?"

I could go on, but whats the point? People have recieved thier cards in the last couple days so that was obviously a lie. They have terrible cust service who are obviously not in sync with sales/marketing and that coupled with the shitty product is why you pay less up front when you buy a computer.

In the end, I should have known better having dealt with them before, but I guess I was blindsided by too good of a deal.

I just clicked "Send" on this e-mail to the US DOJ (sorry if formatting is off):

I don't believe anyone at the Department of Justice would take this email seriously. Not only was the email poorly written, but your presentation of the "facts" borders on being just as misleading as Dell's business practices. I cancelled my order with sufficient time to find another 8800gt at a decent price including express delivery so I would have my video card before Christmas, as did many others. I'm not going to try to bully Dell into making some kind of deal just as I wouldn't appreciate them trying to coerce me into changing my order for a higher priced item.

If you are going to file a complaint, do so with the BBB. I handle these at work from time to time and we take them VERY seriously. Dell will call you back and you should get someone relatively knowledgeable and helpful.

BBB complaints are somewhat time sensitive, meaning if they do not take of the issue to your liking, in a timely fashion, it looks bad upon the business.

http://www.centraltx.bbb.org/commonreport.html?bid=41453

3343 Complaints last 12 months........

I am more concerned by how I was treated by their customer service, not necessarily the whole order fiasco. To make a long story short: They promised me the world, didn't come through then treated me like a lying jerkoff. This is the first BBB complaint that I have filed. Took me about 20 minutes to file a professionally written complaint via the BBB's website.

You're trying to play it cool, but you're just making yourself look naive. People have wasted time, and guess what they say about time being ...?

I am more concerned by how I was treated by their customer service, not necessarily the whole order fiasco.

If it weren't for people like shlonky taking his time to file complaints, then the consumer would have no power; there would be no checks and balances, and big corporations would step all over the little guys (not that they aren't already, but that's another topic in itself).

You cancelled your order and walked away from it. You made a decision for yourself and followed through with it; good for you. I spent some time with customer service, got my MSI card converted into a more expensive eVGA 8800GT superclocked w/ overnight shipping for $7.99 less than the MSI (plus the tax difference). I made a decision for myself, and followed through with it; good for me.

The difference? I went online and posted my experience in an attempt to enlighten or perhaps offer insight to other users. You on the otherhand, decided to use your time in an attempt to flame others for what you personally concieve as being juvenille.

Pot. Kettle. Black. Someone needs to make a smiley for that :)

and btw regarding that honey statement, it really depends on the CS agent. My friend was straight up screwing around when his xfx 88gt got delayed, saying things over chat like "GRRR I AM VERY ANGRY GRRRR" and got $30 + overnight. I tried the honey approach, the angry approach, etc...finally got through with the frustrated/sarcastic act. Just my 2 cents...

I received this product...this exact MSI 8800GT for $208.

I've already posted proof earlier in the thread. Get your facts right before you shoot off an email to some complaint department.

i just wish a mod would move this thread to a discussion forum, this keeps getting bumped to the front page.

For all of you that say that it was our fault for expecting something so cheap, how is it OUR fault? No one pointed a gun at dell to list the cards at that price.
When you see a good deal of course you are going to bite, and it's not like they were giving them away. How is this our fault or beyond a reasonable expectation?

Well I know I'm not getting a card from Dell, but they called back specifically referring to the BBB complaint I filed and offered me a $105 discount on any product I wanted, that's more than $105.

At least they tried, or maybe someone at the BBB took the time and properly filed my complaint, who knows, but I'm satisfied.

I don't believe anyone at the Department of Justice would take this email seriously. Not only was the email poorly written, but your presentation of the "facts" borders on being just as misleading as Dell's business practices. I cancelled my order with sufficient time to find another 8800gt at a decent price including express delivery so I would have my video card before Christmas, as did many others. I'm not going to try to bully Dell into making some kind of deal just as I wouldn't appreciate them trying to coerce me into changing my order for a higher priced item.

Maybe the DOJ will look at this, maybe not. Plenty of people have already alerted the BBB to Dell's bad behavior so I decided to go another direction.

Thanks for the critique there professor. It was meant to be a very simple statement of the issue so anybody can understand it (clearly you did not though). I have no idea who sifts through these things at DOJ. It's better to keep it simple and let them ask for more info if they need it.

The e-mail to the DOJ was not meant to "bully" Dell, you must have missed the whole point. Go back and read it again.

It was also not misleading on the facts at all.

Kyle stated this:

"Dell screwed up and sold WAY MORE than they ever had stock on."

"MSI is afraid of getting their GPU supply cut if they supply the cards at the prices being sold."

"NVIDIA does not want $208 GTs on the market."

"This information chain has been gathered after speaking with 5 different sources that have insight to the situation."

Going by Kyle's post, Dell is not the only guilty party in this mess. I restated the facts as they are currently known and asked the DOJ to look at possible criminal market manipulation. That's all.

Have you noticed the price of computer memory has come way down?

Some of that change is technology and market driven, but a large part of that is government regulators cracking down on price fixing and illegal market manipulation of computer memory.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6044843.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aJX5qWSt0MEU&refer=home

Plenty more if you care to search.....

Maybe you think it's silly to report these things, I do not. I don't think any of us should be subject to illegal profiteering on any product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back