MSI 8800GT $208 @ Dell.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
report them with your chat logs... this is the only way Dell will respond. But as many people as possible have to do this. Laziness and/or complacency never gets rewarded.

I sincerely doubt they'll ship more than a few hundred cards (if any at all) it's not that they can't get MSI or Nvidia to make them, it's just they won't sell them so cheap.

I wonder if all these "delays" would have occurred if they sold them at $300 a pop?

I made a formal complaint to their escalation department, BBB, and FTC. Doubt it will do any good but I rather spend 10 minutes filling these complaints than to just bend over and ask for more.

Here are the sites:

Dell: https://support.dell.com/support/to...lcare/outstanding_issues_care?c=us&l=en&s=gen
BBB: https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/GetStarted.aspx
FTC: https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup

Update: I just got off the phone with a "manager" and he says that MSI couldn't keep up with the demand, maybe but unlikely. He also said that NO ONE would be getting their MSI card, that I do believe. File a complaint.

Just got off the phone with a manager "hector" states the item is never going to ship. That even the EVGA is not orderable eventhough its still listed on the website.

Wouldnt give me any satisfaction beyond telling me they will "give me some consideration" on a evga order which they might or might not have in stock on 01-07-08.

What he dont realize is the business generated through me along with my willingness and understanding to pursue this with dell.

This company has really taken a sharp nose dive. I am forever done with them after this.:(:(

Did a Google search of Dells part number to see what could be found

http://www.usereasy.com/product_9807.html

I called the number to check the stock and get more info but they closed till after new years but the site says they have them in stock :)

Manufacturer: MSI (Micro-Star International)
Mfr Part #: NX8800GT-T2D512EOC; Dell Part# : A1348853
UserEasy SKU: 9807
Price: Your Price
$269.00

don't know just did a google search of the dell part number and looked at what google had cached. Kind of wished they were open to talk to on the phone and see what the story is.

I really didn't pay much attention to this thread after I got my 8800GT in from Dell.

Wow....what a fucking mess this has turned into.... :eek:

Right now Im paying off a laptop with my Dell preferred account but once that is finished, I will close that account and never buy from these bastards ever again!

I am very sorry to read what has happened to everyone. :(

I really didn't pay much attention to this thread after I got my 8800GT in from Dell.

You were smart at took the slightly more expensive one with a better warranty. Looking in this and other forums where people posted the deal, I've only seen XFX cards ship, not MSI.

Is it just the MSI orders being canceled?

A friend of mine who had his order canceled had originally ordered the MSI but canceled that order when the XFX was listed. His XFX was scheduled to ship on the 28th but when he went to check the status of his order, he saw the bad news.

I still haven't gotten my EVGA 8800GTX from Dell yet, and yes I know that getting an 8800GTX for $207.99 is a steal but I went through weeks calling and getting hung up on, and after all this a late shipment, payment issues and haggling of the 8800GTX card itself.

Dell only bent over backwards for me because a floor supervisor broke the rules. Fuck dell, I hate them.

Despite my request that I wanted my order to stay several days ago, but they canceled it anyway yesterday.

Gonna call Dell tomorow and see what's up with that and might file at FTC, BBB, and other one link and see how it goes.

Ain't gonna order another one with a deal that sounded too good to be true.

From DELL, that is. :mad:

I still haven't gotten my EVGA 8800GTX from Dell yet, and yes I know that getting an 8800GTX for $207.99 is a steal but I went through weeks calling and getting hung up on, and after all this a late shipment, payment issues and haggling of the 8800GTX card itself.

Dell only bent over backwards for me because a floor supervisor broke the rules. Fuck dell, I hate them.

Did real people hang up on you or the automated system? I've had Dell's automated answering-routing system hang up on me multiple times over the last couple years, that is infuriating beyond reason.

Sorry you guys all ended up on the shaft, but keep in mind Dell is a huge company with scads and scads of departments and people in those departments. Just because the parts and accessories department isn't handling themselves well doesn't mean ordering a laptop from them will end badly. All my bad experiences have come from the Dell Outlet, but I've had good ones from them too.

Is it just the MSI orders being canceled?

A friend of mine who had his order canceled had originally ordered the MSI but canceled that order when the XFX was listed. His XFX was scheduled to ship on the 28th but when he went to check the status of his order, he saw the bad news.

Tell him he may have gotten off lucky. XFX may have a lifetime warranty but a lifetime is roughly how long you'll wait for XFX's warranty service. All the while you'll get to wander around in their goofy "trouble ticket" system. I'm not sure XFX is the worst customer service I've run into, but they're a lot closer to the bottom than the top.

Did real people hang up on you or the automated system? I've had Dell's automated answering-routing system hang up on me multiple times over the last couple years, that is infuriating beyond reason.

Sorry you guys all ended up on the shaft, but keep in mind Dell is a huge company with scads and scads of departments and people in those departments. Just because the parts and accessories department isn't handling themselves well doesn't mean ordering a laptop from them will end badly. All my bad experiences have come from the Dell Outlet, but I've had good ones from them too.

I was getting hung up on by real people. Not only that, but even when I had chatlog proof of the promise I was being told by people over the phone that Dell will not honor their promise. I called every day for over a week and spoke to more than 5 supervisors in the process, from Parts, primary customer service, resolution team and accessories.

At the end, I was woken up in the morning by a resolution staff member denying me the card. She didn't even read the notation on the account. I spoke with her for 30 minutes while she went over my account, then tried to give me an 8800GTS 320. She didn't even tell me that's what I was going to get, she just gave me a part number. I had to check Dell.com to correct her!

Then I got the absolute cheapest 8800GTX they had in stock. So... my opinion stands. :)

Interesting piece of information (if it is accurate). According to the manger that I just talked to,
Dell took between 50,000 and 60,000 orders for item number A1348853.

I wonder how many G92 chips MSI has even gotten at this point. Since they clearly are supplying to more than the Dell vendor, this seems like a completely irresponsible number of orders for Dell to take.

Sorry for the off-topic post, but it strikes me as strange that they still keep this post alive long after the deal's OOS, and people are just posting more and more complaints and condolences and even more ways to complain... but they shut down the Intel Retail Edge thread when some people are just barely ordering their packages .... Perhaps it's because the time to purchase the retail package for intel partners is over?? That makes sense then, but it seems to me like the time to purchase the MSI 8800GT for $208 is currently over as well... just an observation.

After the first delay I got in on the Best Buy BFG deal. I'm so glad I did. I suggest you guys just drop it and save yourself the stress and get either the BFG from BB or something else.

Sorry for the off-topic post, but it strikes me as strange that they still keep this post alive long after the deal's OOS, and people are just posting more and more complaints and condolences and even more ways to complain... but they shut down the Intel Retail Edge thread when some people are just barely ordering their packages .... Perhaps it's because the time to purchase the retail package for intel partners is over?? That makes sense then, but it seems to me like the time to purchase the MSI 8800GT for $208 is currently over as well... just an observation.

The Intel Retail Edge deal does not have the interest that this story does. Closing that thread when the deal is done makes sense. In this case a major retailer has "trolled" hundreds if not thousands of consumers, that is worthy of an on-going thread. The story may be winding down, but it's not over 'til it's over.

I personally like to see Dell taking all the heat it deserves on this deal gone bad. If "Dell" was a trader on the forums, they would have been outed and barred as a bad trader. :)

For all of you that feel the need to complain that this thread is still rolling, the solution for you is simple. Ignore it. Every time you post a pointless complaint you are bumping the thread right back to the top. Go find a scrapbooking forum and ask them to close their threads because you are not interested in them. :rolleyes: :D

Go find a scrapbooking forum and ask them to close their threads because you are not interested in them. :rolleyes: :D

Does [H]ard Forum have a scrapbooking section? That would be so COOL!! jk...:p

You make a valid point, sparticus. I understand now that if I had just been taken by a vendor I would want to have a say in it, too. And, if we can keep this forum a live and help others to steer clear to the extent that they (Dell, in this case) lose a little business over it, and somehow are forced to improve their service to win it back, then we've served our purpose ....

DELL, are you WATCHING???

Dell doesn't give a shit about the single customer as long as they have schools and businesses buying 100 systems an order. Thats why I don't give a shit for Dell.

and don't forget the thousands upon thousands of them POS systems I have to work on purchased with your hard earned tax dollars. Government has a huge contract with Dell

I cant believe that many are still waiting patiently. This is insane. This is record breaking two month wait for many.

What kind of a "reputable" vendor takes thousands of orders and after a month or more decides not to do anything about them?

It's not like they don't have the resources to gives us a substitute or have the decency to give out proper apologies or some form of compensation.

They just canceled everybody, and expects us to be happy about it. And if you complain you need to spend an hour on the phone to get a "manager" that says "well I'm sorry I can't do anything about it." Fuck that!

They didn't cancel me...

dell1mn4.jpg

dell2ab1.jpg

I kept on their case about it, so they shipped me this GTX. What's more is that they also said on notation it's worth $600, so when the 90 day step up program comes up I can get the new series for free/cheap.

I'm mad that everyone else was shafted. I may be lucky but I don't think it's right what happened to the rest of you.

Congrats on getting them to honor their word. I see that you purchased the card under a business name though and that likely had more to do with your success than luck.

EDIT:

Was your new card a return from somebody else?

"Harry of Reading MA (04/26/07)

Recently I ordered a lens with a 20% coupon. With the coupon the lens was $80 cheaper than the lowest online price. I received an email after my order was confirmed saying that shipping is delayed three weeks due to out-of-stock, even though they were still selling the lens at a higher price online. Only three days after the email I received another email saying the lens has shipped. When I received the lens; it was missing the instruction manual, the lens case and just seemed returned. So from where do you think the lens was shipped? Genco, 415 Sanford Rd. LaVergne, TN. Dell uses Genco for their returns logistics.

Paid for a new item and receive a returned item with missing materials. Had to go through offshore customer rep to effect an exchange. "

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/dell_svc.html

EDIT: #2

It sure would make a convienient way for Genco to get rid of returns for Dell by offering coupons to put a far below retail price on the returns and then sell them as new. I guess the only bad part for them is getting far more orders than they have the stock of returns to cover. Maybe not, since they can just cancel the orders with no penalties.

For those of you that received "great deals" from Dell, did the item ship from Genco?

I'd really like to see this get some publicity. Really, if Dell had just been up front and said that they messed up, and couldn't fullfill the orders, I think most folks would have accepted that. Instead, when they knew they wouldn't be shipping much, if any, they purposely hid that from their customers. First, by delaying the orders over and over, to get people to cancel on their own. Then, by asking people to call in to say they didn't want their orders cancelled. Then by cancelling orders even if they did call in.

If this was really about availibilty of the product, Dell could have provided an equivalent deal. Instead, customer service reps were instructed to offer expensive, unappealing substitutes.

In the end, if they had just been up front about their goof up, most folks would have understood. But they tried to avoid all responsibilty and lied to their customers instead. And that's why I hope Kyle will put this on the main page and give Dell the bad PR they deserve when he's got all the information about what happened from Dell, MSI, and Nvidia.

I'd really like to see this get some publicity. Really, if Dell had just been up front and said that they messed up, and couldn't fullfill the orders, I think most folks would have accepted that. Instead, when they knew they wouldn't be shipping much, if any, they purposely hid that from their customers. First, by delaying the orders over and over, to get people to cancel on their own. Then, by asking people to call in to say they didn't want their orders cancelled. Then by cancelling orders even if they did call in.

If this was really about availibilty of the product, Dell could have provided an equivalent deal. Instead, customer service reps were instructed to offer expensive, unappealing substitutes.

In the end, if they had just been up front about their goof up, most folks would have understood. But they tried to avoid all responsibilty and lied to their customers instead. And that's why I hope Kyle will put this on the main page and give Dell the bad PR they deserve when he's got all the information about what happened from Dell, MSI, and Nvidia.

Seconded. I think we should all recieve something in the waiting and delaying of those +++++weeks

This was not a goof up though, they have a long history of doing business this way.

This has become a clear pattern of operation.
That's the problem.

My order (placed a few days before Thanksgiving) was also canceled. I complained and they gave me $50 off my next purchase. Not bad I guess but still an overall negative experience.

I cant believe that many are still waiting patiently. This is insane. This is record breaking two month wait for many.

Do not underestimate the power of a good deal. With the thousands of orders that fell through, it will be next christmas before this thread finally dies (or until Dell puts up another good deal).

After the first delay I got in on the Best Buy BFG deal. I'm so glad I did. I suggest you guys just drop it and save yourself the stress and get either the BFG from BB or something else.

Last Friday I grabbed a BFG at Best Buy (got the last one in stock, as another guy came running up to be informed I got the last one, so I guess that's lucky). It came out to be $20 more than the Dell deal. Throughout this whole mess, most people who kept their eyes open for deals could have grabbed an 8800GT for $20-$30 more, so really, our expectation damages are pretty negligible. That said, out of principal, I'll collect my expectation damages from Dell.

I love this thread.....*bump* for those STILL waiting. I cancelled three days after I ordered on Nov. 24, although I wish I would have busted a few stones to see if I could get that 8800 GTX or other Dell discount.

FYI....I complained like everyone else here for about 3 hours, via online chat, w/ 6 different reps. The last rep I spoke with ended up giving me $80 cash credited back to my credit card. He was able to do this because I had ordered a PC from them a couple months ago, so he somehow was able to use that to allow him to give me the credit. Yes, I've already received the credit.

I also just received a $100 dell gift card (unrelated to the 8800 gt), which was actually an additional bonus at the time I ordered the PC. Now I'm on the hunt for dell deals to use my $100 on...

I like many others am part of this whole waiting game thing.

My delay stated the 4th, so I will know by tonight or tomorrow if they play the delay game again.

I too called in so that they would not cancel my order. It seems that they have canceled most of the people's orders that specifically called in to not cancel. Luckily for me this hasn't been the case yet.

I will keep you guys informed in my card ships out tomorrow or not.

I'm still holding on waiting and hoping that it ships on Jan 4, but it will probably be pushed back another week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back