MSI 8800GT $208 @ Dell.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes - definitely still hanging onto the "deal". Why? Because it is a "deal". The card is an accessory and Dell had a 20% off on accessories.

Will I ever get it? Nope. But, I'll get free $$$ from Dell for the inconvenience and mess up. I'll end up getting a eVGA Superclocked for $50 below MSRP. Sounds fair/good to me.

Keep in mind that $300+ for an 8800gt reference design card is not a deal. This is the inflated price that OEM's have assigned to this card due to supply/and/demand. MSRP for a 8800gt vanilla was supposed to be around $225-$250. (Oc'd versions $255-$325 depending on market demand).
By the way, the eVGA superclocked version deal was offered to me 3 weeks ago. I took the deal but left my MSI order intact. Good thing I did because the earliest it was going to ship was late March. I had to cancel the eVGA "deal".
I agree with you however on the "holding-on" reasoning. This is a great deal. I'm holding out, because regardless of whether or not I get 2 shiny new 8800gt's, (my Asus 7900gs TOPS cards in SLi are working just fine for now), I will get something out of Dell. Whether it be a $50 credit on the order, or free overnight shipping, or a price-match on a future item.

By the way, keep drilling Dell on this if you don't want your order canceled. Call them on the phone, e-mail them, contact Dell live chat... etc. Hold their feet to the fire. I have been a pc and gaming enthusiast for a long long time and can tell you honestly that even if it's a sub-par company, at some point during your 100 calls or e-mails, someone within the company tries to go that extra mile. Just keep praying and holding out.
If we all lose out on this, fine. Dell will become more "muddy" than they already have become...
Merry Belated Christmas everyone.

Just got the FURTHER DELAYED email:

Went from 12/26/07 to 1/4/08.

Now I just want to keep this going out of curiousity.... :rolleyes:

Ditto on the delay.

I was on the phone with Dell and a tech looked up an alternative card. Right as he started to give me details, the line disconnected. I wonder if it was really a phone error or if it was Dell's monitoring for customer dissatisfaction.

I think that I'll try live chat so that I have a better log of what is said. -- Great #66 in the queue.

Just got the FURTHER DELAYED email:

Went from 12/26/07 to 1/4/08.

Now I just want to keep this going out of curiousity.... :rolleyes:

I 3rd this. I started 11/24 with a ship date of 12/10, then it was 12/17, then it was 12/26, now it's 1/4/08. I hope they make a New Years Resolution to meet their promises and follow through.

Anyway I also want to keep this going out of curiosity. Even if they did ship on the 4th my school starts back up in a few days and I wouldn't have time to enjoy it, so their window to ship on time is gone. Now I can keep this going until summer if I have to. Hopefully by then nVidia cards will drop in price.

Right now I setup a chat session and when I started I was #65 in queue. I'm sure it's everyone who is upset about the card not shipping when they said it would. I don't believe it will ship on the 4th either, but I can keep hitting reply to keep this order going. But they better not call my house today as I'm not there, and am visiting a relative.

[Fist of solidary] Let's hang in there. ;-P

wow, mine got delayed from 12/26/07 to 1/4/08 as well, good thing my BFG8800GTS will be here either today or tomorrow.

I wish that I had gone for the BFG option, but I didn't.

BTW, the Dell Customer Service is reporting that their 3rd party vendor no longer lists the MSI card and that they do not expect it to ship.

I'll play more with Dell tomorrow when I see how many mangers or supervisors I can get through to before the all gets mysteriously dropped.

I wish that I had gone for the BFG option, but I didn't.

BTW, the Dell Customer Service is reporting that their 3rd party vendor no longer lists the MSI card and that they do not expect it to ship.

I'll play more with Dell tomorrow when I see how many mangers or supervisors I can get through to before the all gets mysteriously dropped.

This "3rd party" BS has been the Dell mantra for over a month now. For everyone that hasn't yet read my previous posts... call, e-mail, live chat and verify you don't want this order canceled. Do all 3 and you shouldn't have a problem for now... Keep in mind also that Dell has it written in their purchasing agreement that they can cancel orders at any time and without reason... This is their CYA moment. I had the superclocked evga version supposedly as the "swap" solution at $30 more, but I still have not seen the confirmation after getting off the phone with the Dell rep. *sigh* looks as if I'll have to spend another hour on the phone.

I've already confirmed that I do not want my order canceled. Worst case is that I buy elsewhere in the mean time and sell this on eBay.

Same here, old est. shipping date was 12/26 & the proposed new est shipping date is 1/4.

I'll most likely be cancelling this time, I'm about 99.999998% sure.
I thought I had the patience but in reality I don't have the time nor the patience to spend making call after call and complaining to one person after another until I finally get somebody that'll make me feel a little better by upgrading my shipping or something equally worthless.

Just consider me just one more person on the "Don't EVER buy anything from dell" bandwagon. If I were to wait until this card eventually ships it'll probably be as outdated as the 7800GT that I've got now is. I'll just hold on to that $235 (2 day shipping) & add a little to it and buy a more top of the line card when they're released directly from the manufacturer.

Ditto on the delay.

I was on the phone with Dell and a tech looked up an alternative card. Right as he started to give me details, the line disconnected. I wonder if it was really a phone error or if it was Dell's monitoring for customer dissatisfaction.

I think that I'll try live chat so that I have a better log of what is said. -- Great #66 in the queue.

I have been disconnected twice. Second time I was not on for more than five minutes, as soon as I asked to speak to a manager....*click*
The first time was when I asked them to find a replacement product.
I have also been forwarded to about four departments almost ten different times.
They really need to dump whoever handles their customer service.

I cancelled my MSI 8800gt order. Origionally ordered 11/26/07 and after the 2nd delay they were predicting a mid-january ship date with no guarentees.

Persistence pays off. I didn't want to come on here and tell everyone everything and then have everyone call Dell at the same time and then not get my card, but...

My eVGA Superclocked shipped today with free next day upgrade.
Not only am I getting it for the original $207, but I'm also getting an additional $50 off that I was promised for the MSI card being delayed until 1/11/08.

Total:
1 month without an 8800GT
eVGA 8800GT 512MB SC
next day shipping
$163

I wonder if dell is doing this intentionally to lock in sales. Since they knew that they wouldn't have the cards for awhile, they intentionally took a bunch of order at a low price so customers get locked in and wait for them. If they didn't make this offer, customers would very likely purchase the new 8800gt from other companies. This way they lock in a bunch of customers and fill as many orders as they can when they get their shipments.

I doubt it - Dell isn't exactly in the High End graphics card business.

I seriously just think this whole thing is a flaw with their system.

They drop ship stuff. They took the page down initially after the first flood of orders. I'm guessing they got confirmation from MSI that they could fill the order so they put the page back up.

More people ordered. They found out that MSI couldn't and/or wouldn't fill the order (maybe Dell wanted some kind of price break for the quantity - who knows). So, the cards weren't going to be filled until a later date.

I'm guessing the whole "they don't make them anymore" is MSI's way of stopping production until they integrate the new reference fan from nVidia. But, due to some serious flaws and shortcomings of Dell's ordering/tracking/inventory system, things fell through the cracks.

With the exception of their India-based chat reps, everyone at Dell has been very apologetic and sincerely blown away by the fiasco (that I've spoken to anyway). They did the right thing and went above and beyond to resolve my issue.

Let's just face it - Dell isn't where you shop for high-end graphics cards. It was a great deal and I'm satisfied (assuming my card arrives in 1 piece).

Dell canceled my MSI order for me. Two friends who ordered the same day (11/24) have been pushed back to 1/4.

I called to un-cancel and they could not do it.

- Discontinued
- Don't have them
- Never had them
- Won't have them
- Can't keep the price I had
- Can't un-do the cancellation, because it has been canceled, you see
- would I like to buy a printer instead?
- you're canceled, mother$^@!#

They were completely unhelpful.

The one thing I can say about Dell is that when you order something from them if it's got the Dell logo plastered all over it then it usually ships out a lot faster than a similar item without the Dell logo. Take monitors for instance....I bought a 24" widescreen Dell monitor a while back for work...Then a few days later I had to order another monitor of the same size for someone else, but the guy said he wanted an NEC monitor instead of a Dell so I ordered it and a few weeks later I got the Dell monitor but the NEC monitor wound up taking nearly 2 months before we finally got it.

I just know that in all my dealings with Dell from work related to my own personal stuff I've had frequent problems in the interim between purchase and shipping of whatever I buy and this is the last straw for me.

Persistence pays off. I didn't want to come on here and tell everyone everything and then have everyone call Dell at the same time and then not get my card, but...

My eVGA Superclocked shipped today with free next day upgrade.
Not only am I getting it for the original $207, but I'm also getting an additional $50 off that I was promised for the MSI card being delayed until 1/11/08.

Total:
1 month without an 8800GT
eVGA 8800GT 512MB SC
next day shipping
$163

I wish they were universal on this sort of thing. I had to wait just as long and my XFX 8800GT was delayed just as much and I switched my order to the 8800GT which I got in the mail yesterday with next day shipping. I had to pay the retail price of the card. I didn't get no discount :p

I encourage everyone to file a complaint with the FTC. What's the valid basis? Well, according to the FTC website, a company may only provide a revised shipping date when it has a reasonable belief that it can ship by that date. Dell is telling some people that the card has been discontinued and will not ship. (Whether this is really true is immaterial, this is what Dell believes and is acting on.) Yet Dell continues to delay open orders and provide new shipping dates even though Dell belives they will not ship on that date. It's not murder, but it's still a violation of the law.

At the very least, Dell receiving a couple hundred FTC complaints over this will cause them some headache and will get a lot more attention than a low reseller rating.

Link to FTC Online Complaint Form

Dell contact info needed for filling out the form:
Dell Inc.
One Dell Way
Mail Stop 8129
Round Rock, TX 78682
1-800-624-9897

You do not need to fill out every blank in the form (some is obviously inapplicable). The instructions say only that the more information you provide, the better teh FTC will be able to investigate your complaint and followup if necessary.

Luder[PAK9];1031848120 said:
I encourage everyuone to file a complaint with the FTC. What's the valid basis? Well, according to the FTC website, a company may only provide a revised shipping date when it has a reasonable belief that it can ship by that date. Dell is telling some people that the card has been discontinued and will not ship. (Whether this is really true is immaterial, this is what Dell believes and is acting on.) Yet Dell continues to delay open orders and provide new shipping dates even though Dell belives they will not ship on that date. It's not murder, but it's still a violation of the law.

At the very least, Dell receiving a couple hundred FTC complaints over this will cause them some headache and will get a lot more attention than a low reseller rating.

Link to FTC Online Complaint Form

Dell contact info needed for filling out the form:
Dell Inc.
One Dell Way
Mail Stop 8129
Round Rock, TX 78682
1-800-624-9897

This is great information for those of you who have not canceled your orders or had them canceled on you. Chat logs, case numbers, rep id's and names will all be helpful. I just reported a rep that gave me a fake ID and out right lied to me on the phone so he could hang up. I even have his e-mail...(what a dummy). So it all got traced right back to him. I'm working on something similar to what epicnerd is doing. I'll keep you all updated. Looks like it takes someone on this continent to get anything done. Request to be transfered to "Customer Care"- North America. Keep asking until it's done... Good luck deal seekers.

Well, this time the story was that the card is listed as "backordered" by the vendor. At least that's better than being outright lied to about it being discontinued. Backordered I believe since most of the stores that carry the MSI card don't have them in stock.

The rep put in a request to expedite the order. I asked what good that does if the item is backordered. But I am supposed to get a call or e-mail Monday regarding the order status and I do have a reference number. I've waited this long so I can wait another weekend.

I'll believe it when the card ships. At least I got a free upgrade to next day shipping. So that when it ships (probably in March), I'll have it the next day.

At least the board that I am dropping the card on is uATX so I have (crappy) integrated video and can at least use the system for basic functionality.

WOW

Have we not learned the Dell lesson yet?

I cant believe you all are still waiting on Dell to save a some dough. Teach Dell a lesson by spending your hard earned cash elsewhere!!!

I'm all in. Now all we need is a canned complaint. It looks better when you use close to all 2000 characters.

Luder[PAK9]
I encourage everyuone to file a complaint with the FTC

FTC Site - Success! Complaint Accepted. Thank you for your input.

Wait and See game now. If anyone from Dell is monitoring this do the right thing.

Just found out mine was somehow canceled without my knowledge. They called and asked and I told them not to, then today I check and it's been canceled for about a week, lol.

Was worried because I paid using Paypal. But my account showed the money back.

Said screw it and got a Sapphire 3870 from buy.com for $227 shipped. Only thing that upsets me is I could have been using holiday time off for gaming. I've been putting off playing Bioshock until a new card arrives... now by the time I get to play it I won't have the time. Thanks Dell.

can this thread be locked already?
it's polluting to top threads of this forum, it's no longer a deal, it's a lie.

So I just finished my BBB and Resellerrating review after spending 45 minutes on the phone with Dell today. I talk to the head supervisor and he said the MSI price was a pricing mistake and whether it shows that it is still being backordered or not all of the orders will be canceled.

Filed an FTC complaint as well.

Here is my BB Review.

I ordered an Item on November 24th, the page said it will ship within 24hrs. 3 Backorder notices later I call them for about the 4th time to see if they can switch me to an Item they have in stock. I get switched to a like Item by a different manufacturer. But my price has gone from $208.00 on the original order to $249.99. Im told it is IN STOCK. Sat on hold for 20 min while it was verified. Item was ordered on Dec 24th. Supposed to ship on Dec27th. I get a backorder notice in my Email. I call them up AGAIN stating I needed it by the weekend for a late Christmas gift. They dont have any in stock. 6-8 week lead time. They switch me to another item that is "In stock" Exactly the same specs as the last one I had ordered. Same manufacturer and everything. Just a different part #. NOTHING Different at all. They want to switch me to this item for $289. They refused to meet the $249.99 price of the 2nd card I had ordered. I canceled my order, Closed my account and will never do business with Dell again. I highly advise others to not do business with them either.

They have plenty of them, but they are going into new computers where they can make more money off them.

I had two cards (on separate orders) that were scheduled to ship 12/26. I got notified that one had been rescheduled to ship on Jan 4, but no word on the other. Hoping that there was a chance that the other had shipped, I checked the order status on Dell's site to find not that it had shipped, but that it had been cancelled. Nice. I call Dell.

Me: Why did you cancel my order?
Dell Guy: I see that the item is no longer offered by Dell, it is out of stock and that the supplier, MSI, will not be shipping us any more of that item as they do not make it any more. (!)
Me: Okay, so if it's out of stock and you won't be getting any more, why was my other order for this item rescheduled for shipment on Jan 4?
Dell Guy: (pause) .... I'm guessing that that order will be cancelled soon too.

Some sort of order processing hat-trick this is. They cancel an order without any sort of notification, they re-confirm an order that they say they cannot possibly ship, and they lie to me about their supplier's production status.

All my prior dealings with Dell had been very good, so this kind of nonsense is a real disappointment. FTC form is on the way.

OMGGGGG this is almost funny..........My dell chat today......

5:18:49 PM System You are now being connected to an agent. Thank you for using Dell Chat
5:18:50 PM System Connected with Swarnalatha N
5:18:54 PM Swarnalatha N Thank you for contacting Dell Customer Service Chat. My name is Swarnalatha. How may I help you?
5:18:54 PM Swarnalatha N Hello ******. 5:18:56 PM Swarnalatha N How are you doing today?
5:18:58 PM Me good
5:19:24 PM Me need to know what is going on with my order

5:19:39 PM Swarnalatha N I am sorry for the inconvenience caused to you in this matter.I will look into this right away.
5:19:44 PM Swarnalatha N Please verify your complete name, as on our records.
5:20:05 PM Me brian nack
5:20:12 PM Swarnalatha N Thank you.
5:20:16 PM Me order number **********
5:20:19 PM Swarnalatha N Is your current e-mail address *************?
5:20:22 PM Me yes
5:20:44 PM Swarnalatha N Thank you so much for providing all the information so promptly.
5:21:19 PM Swarnalatha N I see in my records that the estimated dates of shipping for your order shows Friday, December 28, 2007.
5:21:35 PM Me no it was teh 12th
5:21:38 PM Me then the 15th
5:21:43 PM Me then the 28th
5:22:06 PM Me I was asked to extend or something
5:22:12 PM Me and went through all that on the website
5:22:44 PM MeI am looking for information on whether im ever going to get the card or not as many others are being told it is discontinued
5:23:07 PM Me I am counting on the card, it was my sons xmas present
5:23:42 PM Me hello??

5:23:54 PM Swarnalatha N I am here.
5:23:58 PM Me ok thanks
5:24:14 PM Swarnalatha N I was checking with our vendor regarding the status of the order.
5:24:18 PM Me ok thanks
5:25:24 PM Swarnalatha N I was informed that this item is currently in stock and there is no further delay.
5:25:37 PM Me Excellent, it will ship tomorrow then??????
5:27:04 PM Swarnalatha N Please do not worry. I do not see any further delay in shipping your order. As of now the estimated dates are showing as Friday, December 28, 2007.

5:27:29 PM Me Ok thanks for your time then

5:27:39 PM Swarnalatha N Thank you for your patience and understanding!
5:27:44 PM Swarnalatha N Please do not worry.I will personally take care of this for you.
5:27:44 PM Swarnalatha N Are you satisfied with the level of services provided during the chat session?
5:27:51 PM Me Yes
5:27:55 PM Me Thanks
5:28:54 PM Swarnalatha N It was pleasant assisting such a wonderful customer like you !
5:29:14 PM Swarnalatha N Thank you for using Dell Customer Service chat to resolve your issue today. For referencing our interaction today you may use case # ********* . This case number holds information on our interaction today and will assist you with contacting Dell in the future. For any other issues, you may refer to the web site www.support.dell.com
5:29:20 PM Swarnalatha N Take care.Good Bye.
5:29:20 PM Swarnalatha N A very Happy New year!

OMGGGGG this is almost funny..........My dell chat today......

[chat]

If this goes though all of [H] in this thread will keep refreshing chat until they get her :rolleyes:

I don't it's going to happen though.

Good luck to the people still hanging on.

rotten ba$tards.

Orderd 5pm on 11/24
Previous chat session with promise of $75 coupon on ship
got delay notice today to 1/4 and notice to re-confirm purchase
Did email + phone confirmation
checked now and saw order cancelled

Mofos!
I know order and coupon are toast.
My only consolation is that I'm going to bad mouth Dell to where it hopefully costs them 100X what they saved by not shipping to me.

Hey Guys -

Just posting my latest experience. After complaining for a solid 3 hours yesterday I was able to get them to change my order to the eVGA 8800GT SC and cover the price difference.

They made a big point of mentioning to me that they were not sure if the eVGA would ship out any time soon. Initially my order ship date said Jan 17 for the eVGA.

Checked today and my order shipped with next day shipping and I confirmed with the shipping co. that it is arriving @ noon tomorrow!

Success! So all it takes is a lot of complaining and some luck.

OMIGOD!

So I got a notification yesterday that my switch from MSI to EVGA order was delayed from 12/27 to 1/7. I called and threw a holy fit because I was promised that this card was in stock and would ship on the 27th and now I got the delay Email. I talked to a manager, he wasnt willing to help me. He said the EVGA card I had ordered was on a 6-8 week lead time but he could switch me to another one for $289.00. I got ticked off and decided to cancel my order. I also called dell financial and closed my account.

This morning I got a ship notification that my EVGA card had shipped. The same one the manager told me was a 6-8 week lead time. I cant believe how incompetent these folks are. Its ridiculous.

I hopped onto this deal on the 27th and came in expecting delays. The card was part of an order with an Inspiron which I was giving to my father for Christmas. My original ship date was to be the 7th, then the 13th, then 28th, and today it was pushed to the 15th of January. Each time it was delayed I called and confirmed that it wasn't to be canceled. They gave me overnight shipping right away and today I just confirmed a 50 dollar credit will be taken off my credit card when the card is actually shipped. Now to tell my dad that he can't play Crysis for another few weeks....

OMGGGGGG I am so done with dell.

After that chat above that she told me they had the cards in and will be shipping today. I get a email and phone call wanting me to cancel the order or delay it for another month.

Any respect and I mean ANY is gone. All the people and business steered towards dell from myself will now be steered elsewhere.

What is wrong with this company. :mad::mad::mad:

5:25:24 PM Swarnalatha N I was informed that this item is currently in stock and there is no further delay.
5:25:37 PM Me Excellent, it will ship tomorrow then??????
5:27:04 PM Swarnalatha N Please do not worry. I do not see any further delay in shipping your order. As of now the estimated dates are showing as Friday, December 28, 2007.

YA RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back