MSI 790FX-GD70 or Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H for phenom II x6?

2wiced

2[H]4U
I have both motherboards. And would like to know which one i should use for the x6 and which one should I use for my spare system?

any opinions?

thanks.

I have the 890GPA-UD3H; it's a fantastic board. I'm running a 1055T lightly overclocked to 3.33 GHz on it, and I can't recommend it enough. I would use it if I were in your position.

I am also using the 890GPA and it has been a great board. I have my 1055t at 3.9 24/7 stable.

Im using it right now. I guess my CPU is unstable. But I cant decide if its the motherboard or the CPU that is unstable at 3.9-4ghz. I increase the voltage to 1.55 to get 4ghz and like 1.525 for 3.9, but I dont know if that is too hight for the cpu. I use a H50 and have many fans in my case.

Are those voltages too high? I have the Msi in my second right.

I think the MSI 790FX-GD70 has some overheating problems with a 6 core when overclocked.

I'd use the newer chipset gigabyte board.

I have the MSI 890FX-GD70, and this board rocks.

*NOTICE* the "8" in my board model number.

Frankly, I don't trust MSI with x6 cpu's, so I would go with gigabyte. Had two NF980 that blew up when trying to overclock, never going with MSI again unless it's too cheap to pass up.

I blame Tsumi's poor luck on the fact that they bought crappy Nvidia boards...

MSi 790FX and 890FX are good boards, I own the 790FX-GD70. Really like it.

BUT, you should get an 8xx board in my opinion.

Asus's 980a nvidia motherboard hasn't had any problems as far as I've heard with the hexacores. And what does the chipset have to do with the VRM's blowing up? Unfortunately, there is a thread on motherboards blowing up with 6-cores, and almost all are MSI boards, with a sprinkling of gigabyte boards.

My NF980 was completely fine with overclocking my 965, but as soon as the 1090t went in, it died. Even though I never exceeded 1.4v on the cores.

That's good to know. I'll keep it in mind. The only reason I asked was because it has quad crossfire support lol. Not that I will ever use it but who knows. My gigabyte
Only has two slots. But I only have one 6950 so i shouldnt worry

I have a MSI 790fx-gd70 for my X4 and it great. However from what I read it seems like a poor choice to overclock especially with a X6 dropped in there.

I agree with the Giga choice. For the OC, start at stock voltage when you OC. When you reach instability then bump it up. Then continue with OC and repeat voltage. Don't forget to keep HT, memory and voltages other than CPU in check. Your instability maybe due to something other than the cores being unstable, like NB voltage or HT speeds.

Back