Msi 770 Gtx Twin Frozr. Max boost only 1136mhz.

litwicki23

Limp Gawd
I am worried , why my card is boosting max 1136mhz . No matter what temps i have. Like 68 or 75 i get the same boost. With fan like 44% and 1250 RPM. Is this normal or not?

I know peoples with that card and they just got higher boost.

Here are temps:
When i hit 78C on Crysis 3 i have :67 TDP
When 71C on BF3 i have : 57 TDP

Here is:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2202/13/

Max boost 1162mhz max. I have 1136mhz.

Fan speed is normal. Dont know why they set it so low, bcs 50% is still silent and below 70c. Mine works up to 78c and that is too much for TF. Boost clock is 1163mhz.. Its not big deal 27mhz +/-. You wont feel it for sure and i think it is normal for Kepler not to boost at same clocks. It doesnt matter what temps card is running as long it is bellow 80c. Clocks wont be lower or higher.

Last edited:
I get yesterday 78C on Crysis 3 ( Root of all evil - level ) with 45% fan and 1350 RPM. For me too high. What you think?

Its almost 80. Maybe go RMA that card?

I am worried , why my card is boosting max 1136mhz . No matter what temps i have. Like 68 or 75 i get the same boost. With fan like 44% and 1250 RPM. Is this normal or not?

I know peoples with that card and they just got higher boost.

Here are temps:
When i hit 78C on Crysis 3 i have :67 TDP
When 71C on BF3 i have : 57 TDP

Here is:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2202/13/

Max boost 1162mhz max. I have 1136mhz.

The review site probably got a "special" card from the manufacturer while yours is just an uncherry picked average card. Hence the 27 Mhz difference.

How high can you overclock your card?

Bro i am worried now with that temps only in Crysis3. If you can help me.

Because playing in BF3 i get 71C max, Bioshock 74C max, Unigine 72C max, 3dmark 13 75c max, only Crysis 3 is doing sometimes 78C. : (( I am using fan on auto like 43-46% with RPM 1350,

What now?

I get yesterday 78C on Crysis 3 ( Root of all evil - level ) with 45% fan and 1350 RPM. For me too high. What you think?

78 is normal temp for that card. Read reviews. Mine work at 78 too. Make custom fan profil in Afterburber or precision and enjoy silent and much cooler GPU. 50-55% is sweet spot, under 70 and silent. Lightning has much better fun profil and very similar TwinFrozr.

Max clock on my 770 TF

http://www.pohrani.com/?2P/11u/40RfISV2/uniengine.jpg

It's fine - MSI set it that way to minimize fan noise. Card is designed to work at 80 degrees.
If you don't agree you can adjust fan profile in tweaking software.

I got mine yesterday so i'll check how mine behaves soon.

It's fine - MSI set it that way to minimize fan noise. Card is designed to work at 80 degrees.
If you don't agree you can adjust fan profile in tweaking software.

I got mine yesterday so i'll check how mine behaves soon.

sry wrong post..

Yes I do.

At 100% fans speed GTX 770 TF is working at 56c and it is very hot at my place. It is very powerfull cooler but profile is crapy. Big fans are silent up to almost 60%. Try to play with fan speeds and you ll se how good those big fans on TF are.

Last edited:
In the review they used the MSI Gaming app in gaming mode
http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N770-TF-2GD5-OC.html
It's the same for the GTX 760 TF where they advertise 1085 core 1150 boost where as when you get it out of the box it IS 1020 core 1085 boost. Once you use the useless gaming app and click on OC mode then the card will go to 1085/1150.
The same must apply for your 770 where they advertise 1098 core 1150 boost where as GPU-Z dump shows 1059 core
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/zz7r5/
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/h5k5f/
msi-gtz780-gpuz.jpg

Last edited:
78 is normal temp for that card. Read reviews. Mine work at 78 too. Make custom fan profil in Afterburber or precision and enjoy silent and much cooler GPU. 50-55% is sweet spot, under 70 and silent. Lightning has much better fun profil and very similar TwinFrozr.

Max clock on my 770 TF

http://www.pohrani.com/?2P/11u/40RfISV2/uniengine.jpg

You say "Mine work at 78 too." In auto fan 44% and no oc? In what game?

Yes, with auto fan. I play Railworks 2013 and it is very demanding game. Temp rise to 77,78c on a hot day. Metro Last Light was at 77c max, but today is not so warm. Some parts of the game will warm up GPU more than others. Same like games..

Here you can see boost at stock clocks, temps and fan speed in 30 mins of Metro Last Light.

http://www.pohrani.com/f/1Z/Cd/1aG6rGbp/newpicture033.jpg

Sry but English is not my native language and i just trying to help you.

Sorry for my english:) Your is good.
From what i saw , 770 TF get higher temps like 680 TF.

Is this because fan is lower on auto?

Yes bcs. it spins very slow on auto, 1300rpm and very silent. If you raise fan speed up to 1500 rpm you will get temps under 70c all the time and still have very silent GPU. They could do auto fan profile better and some will hit 80 with this GPU on hot summer days with auto fan on so low rpm.

GTX 770 is working on 1.2v while gtx 680 is 1.16v - 1.175v so 770 will be bit hotter with same cooler. 680 FT is not as silent as 770 TF2, probably more agressive auto fan profile and fans are smaller what is also very important for noise/temp ratio.

320.39 beta. They work fine for me but some have very big problems with it on gtx 7x0 GPUs. Leave 320.08 until new WHQL comes out just to be safe.

Ah i forgot to ask. Why i have only max boost 1136 while gaming? No matter what temps. Its normal? I have always 1136mhz while gaming.

I am using GPUZ to checking. Without gaming app from MSI. Can you explain me that?

Dude, your card is fine, and it is boosting to a higher than advertised speed. It's because every kepler chip has a different boost speed. This has been the case with both the GTX 600 and GTX 700 series.

Your card is advertised as having an 1111mhz boost. Therefore you are getting HIGHER than that out of the box, therefore your boost is higher than advertised. Again, every Kepler has a different boost speed, the bins are in 13mhz increments - you may buy one card that boosts to 1111, another to 1124, or another to 1137.

Last edited:
I am almost 100% sure that gtx 7x0 will not boost with same clocks on same models. Maybe it depends on "quality" of GPU . What i know for sure that vendors can edit your boost speeds with bios updates like they did with my 670 dc2 top. With old bios it was boosting up to 1254mhz but with updated only to 122x mhz.

Yes it is normal and you dont need to worry about anything. Just enjoy it.

Last edited:
I am almost 100% sure that gtx 7x0 will not boost with same clocks on same models. Maybe it depends on "quality" of GPU or there is bit different boost table in bios on your card. It cant be checked for now bcs. Kepler bios editor is not showing Boost table on gtx 770, its empty. Maybe its driver thing.

Yep, GTX 700 is exactly like GTX 600 in this respect. Every kepler card has a different boost speed. It is how the chip is designed, it determines the maximum available boost depending on leakage of chip - therefore every card is different, even ones of the same model.

Yes, with auto fan. I play Railworks 2013 and it is very demanding game. Temp rise to 77,78c on a hot day. Metro Last Light was at 77c max, but today is not so warm. Some parts of the game will warm up GPU more than others. Same like games..

Here you can see boost at stock clocks, temps and fan speed in 30 mins of Metro Last Light.

http://www.pohrani.com/f/1Z/Cd/1aG6rGbp/newpicture033.jpg

Sry but English is not my native language and i just trying to help you.

Ok bro , last question. Sorry for disturbing.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2202/13/ You got the same boost 1162mhz like in that review. Why only me got 1136mhz. For 100% its not something wrong?

Maybe you use that Gaming App to increase from MSI?

Last edited:
I didnt even know that Gaming App exist till now.

All answers are in posts above. Nothing is wrong. Keplers are like that and that is it. Just forget about it and enjoy. It wont make any difference 30mhz +/-.

The one from MSI site is 1098 base clock. We have version with 1059mhz. I will probably re-flash my card with 1098mhz bios when i find it. Maybe 1098mhz is just mistake on MSI site.

Last edited:
Gaming APP is nice. One button press and 1212mhz, only 65c and still quiet. Great little program. Try it..

Gaming Mode – which overclocks the GPU a bit and adjusts the fan speed
Eco Mode which actually reduces core clocks and fan speed
Default Mode which sets it back to factory settings.

http://www.pohrani.com/f/2S/pA/37N1t263/gaming.jpg

Very nice move from MSI. I like it a lot.

Last edited:
Card is probably dropping its max boost by 13MHz when you pass 70C. It will do that again if you pass 80C.

If the card is advertised as having a certain Boost Clock, it should have it.

First off, as far as I can tell, the card is advertised as having a boost of 1111MHz. It is actually impossible to get a 1136mhz boost with kepler because the boosts are done in 13mhz increments. You can get 1111, 1124, 1137, and 1150. There is no 1136 boost with Kepler, that clockspeed is impossible because they're done in 13mhz increments. Unless it is the base clock? 1136 is not possible as a boost clock. Additionally, when you hit 80C the card will drop the boost by 1 bin as mentioned in the post above. This leads me to my next point. GPU-Z, stop using it. You need MSI afterburner or EVGA precision.

Again,, you need to stop using GPU-Z to monitor clockspeeds, *it is not accurate*. Get MSI afterburner 3.0 beta 10 - that will be accurate in terms of monitoring clockspeeds. GPU-Z is *not accurate* most of the time, especially with regards to boost levels. Furthermore, in game boost levels are the most relevant so you'll need to use the MSI afterburner overlay in game to see what your in-game clockspeeds are. This is the only way to see your true boost speed. GPU-Z is worthless here.

To stress for the 100th time, :) don't use GPU-Z to monitor, use EVGA precision or Afterburner and enable the overlay. This is the only true way to see your boost speeds - remember boost speeds are variable depending on how demanding the game is. If you play a cheesy game from 2008 it will not boost to the top speed, because the application doesn't need it - To get the maximum boost you need to play the most demanding game possible.

Last edited:
I didnt even know that Gaming App exist till now.

All answers are in posts above. Nothing is wrong. Keplers are like that and that is it. Just forget about it and enjoy. It wont make any difference 30mhz +/-.

The one from MSI site is 1098 base clock. We have version with 1059mhz. I will probably re-flash my card with 1098mhz bios when i find it. Maybe 1098mhz is just mistake on MSI site.

Its not a mistake. This is the same model of card. They just write clocks with used Gaming App in OC mode.

MSI afterburner and GPUz clocks are same. I have afterbuner monitoring enabled and its easy to compare them. GPUz is good enough to show max boost clocks on desktop after gaming. In game monitoring Afterburner, precision ofc.
All new games will push max boost clocks, some less demanding and some with vsync wont, like D3.

I get it with gaming app. Didnt test it before. Fan speed is great with it and it will save some time for gamers..Just played CoH 2 and temp where under 60c and fan was still silent enough, even for open case.

Last edited:
First off, as far as I can tell, the card is advertised as having a boost of 1111MHz. It is actually impossible to get a 1136mhz boost with kepler because the boosts are done in 13mhz increments. You can get 1111, 1124, 1137, and 1150. There is no 1136 boost with Kepler, that clockspeed is impossible because they're done in 13mhz increments. Unless it is the base clock? 1136 is not possible as a boost clock. Additionally, when you hit 80C the card will drop the boost by 1 bin as mentioned in the post above. This leads me to my next point. GPU-Z, stop using it. You need MSI afterburner or EVGA precision.

Again,, you need to stop using GPU-Z to monitor clockspeeds, *it is not accurate*. Get MSI afterburner 3.0 beta 10 - that will be accurate in terms of monitoring clockspeeds. GPU-Z is *not accurate* most of the time, especially with regards to boost levels. Furthermore, in game boost levels are the most relevant so you'll need to use the MSI afterburner overlay in game to see what your in-game clockspeeds are. This is the only way to see your true boost speed. GPU-Z is worthless here.

To stress for the 100th time, :) don't use GPU-Z to monitor, use EVGA precision or Afterburner and enable the overlay. This is the only true way to see your boost speeds - remember boost speeds are variable depending on how demanding the game is. If you play a cheesy game from 2008 it will not boost to the top speed, because the application doesn't need it - To get the maximum boost you need to play the most demanding game possible.

GPU-Z show in sensor mode 1136mhz:) Maybe this is minimal very true value?

You have min, max and avg options. I like to use GPUz for SS as it shows everything important in one place. Click on the clock number and setup max and try to monitor with Afterburner in game. It will be same number. Card will increase boost in few seconds and keep it there for 99% of gaming time if game is demanding enough and most new are.

And pls. try MSI gaming app and post boost clocks. I am interested if they will be lower than mine or same.

Take a look:

http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N770-TF-2GD5-OC.html

Core Clock Speed(MHz)
1098 (Boost Clock: 1150) (Gaming mode)

Why i have:
1136mhz

If the card is advertised as having a certain Boost Clock, it should have it.

Must be a mistake by msi's part. Everywhere else, including reviews, has the card's rated boost clock at 1111mhz.

Your card boosting to 1136 is totally normal. Every kepler card I've owned, boost higher than its rated speed.

They wrote clocks with MSI gaming app in OC mode, on MSI site. Problem is he thinks his 770 is boosting to low bcs. in reviews GPUs are boosting at 1169mhz.

And in the reviews it's boosting to those levels because they use the MSI Gaming app.
Go and install it, click teh button and tadah, GPU-Z will show 1098/1150 as the cards base/boost as MSI promises. While gaming the boost clock will be higher if temperature and/or power target allows (use MSI AB or EVGA Precision to check that)

Must be a mistake by msi's part. Everywhere else, including reviews, has the card's rated boost clock at 1111mhz.

Your card boosting to 1136 is totally normal. Every kepler card I've owned, boost higher than its rated speed.

Yes, there are some reviews (like TPU) that don't use the MSI gaming app so the GPU-Z will show 1059 base 1111 boost.
Click teh button and
1059 + 13 + 13 + 13 = 1098 base
1111 + 13 + 13 + 13 = 1150 boost
As MSI advertises is.
gpuz_oc.gif

They wrote clocks with MSI gaming app in OC mode, on MSI site. Problem is he thinks his 770 is boosting to low bcs. in reviews GPUs are boosting at 1169mhz.

Yes what you think about it? I get 1136mhz , but on reviews they got 1169mhz. Something wrong then?

And in the reviews it's boosting to those levels because they use the MSI Gaming app.
Go and install it, click teh button and tadah, GPU-Z will show 1098/1150 as the cards base/boost as MSI promises. While gaming the boost clock will be higher if temperature and/or power target allows (use MSI AB or EVGA Precision to check that)

I doubt that, because roki977 get 1162mhz max boost. And he earlier dont know nothing about MSI GAMING app.

Last edited:
Are you sure?

I am 100% positive.
If you open GPU-Z now it will show the base as 1059 and boost as 1111?
Install the MSI app, launch it, click the gaming mode and see the GPU-Z readings change to 1098 and 1150

cheers

I know you have a 770 but here's a video of the MSI 760 TF Gaming.
MSI advertises it with and I quote "base 1085 boost 1150 (OC Mode)"
But out of the box GPU-Z will show the base as 1020 and boost as 1085
In the video the guy will click the OC Mode, screen will blanks and when it returns the clocks will be 1085 1150

Linkzor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=upznIi8tsro#t=72s

Although the guy on the video isn't correct 100%. It's not like an OC Genie. It's just freaking clock profiles! Just like you can use profiles with MSI AB or Precision X.
MSI has binned these cards for the clocks AS ADVERTISED (for 770 1098/1150) but out of the box it will chug along at 1059/1111)

And xoleras, yeah yeah. The first page of GPU-Z will just show the base and boost. But because of GPU Boost 2.0 the actual boost clock will be higher and it will be visible accurately with MSI AB or Precision X.

Last edited:
GPU-Z show in sensor mode 1136mhz:) Maybe this is minimal very true value?

I attempted to give you an answer, It's not that difficult for you to install afterburner. GPU-Z is not accurate especially when concerning boost speeds. It reports inaccurate speeds on my 780 often.

But, by all means continue using it. Whatever.

Back