MSI 6950 2gb Twin Frozr II $229 AR

Tiporaro

[H]ard|Gawd
Not an amazing steal, but Fry's has MSI Twin Frozr II 6950 2gb for 259 in-store - 30MIR = 229 before taxes. I just picked one up and was able to unlock it pretty painlessly and got a good starting clock out of it, so could be a decent pickup for someone trying to find an unlockable 6950 out there. Obviously not a guarantee on the unlock, but I think a fair number of people have reported success with these as opposed to some of the newer cards that were laser cut and have the shaders permanently disabled.

Other bright side is its a local retailer so if there's any issues you can just take it back right away and exchange it.

I'm guessing the 30 MIR goes away after today like all the other AMD cards with rebates valid through the 30th.

plus you get a better cooler on it than the stock cards to boot, I bought a zalman cooler for mine so that cost an additional $50 originally, the MSI is a good deal!

Thats good to hear about the new rebate. One thing I'd warn others about with Frys is just to check and see if you're getting a box that was returned, taped shut by Fry's, and being sold again as new. About half the MSI's at the store I was at were like this. Not sure if they had been returned for no reason at all, or if they were unlucky ones that didn't unlock...I just know I made sure to grab one of the other ones.

Well I ordered one of these, I have no problem if it doesn't unlock, I'm just hoping I get a new one!

You might actually consider a returned one. Not only are they slightly cheaper. The returned one I purchased was unlockable whereas the newer one wasn't. Down side is the unlockable one only appears to be stable to ~875/1350. While the unlockable one appears to be stable to 900/1375. This may be a pattern or pure chance.

You might actually consider a returned one. Not only are they slightly cheaper. The returned one I purchased was unlockable whereas the newer one wasn't. Down side is the unlockable one only appears to be stable to ~875/1350. While the unlockable one appears to be stable to 900/1375. This may be a pattern or pure chance.

Well, with all of these, unlocking/overclocking I usually take to just be luck of the draw, but its good to hear that you found a unlocked one. Sounding like since these are slightly "older" revisions (as opposed to the frozr III), people are having better luck with them.

As to the returned ones being cheaper, I haven't seen Fry's differentiating between what I believe are returned and sold as new (box is taped shut by them it appears) vs. truly new at all (assuming you're talking about Fry's, and not just this card in general). Did your store have a section with specifically returned ones, and how much cheaper, j/w?

Did your store have a section with specifically returned ones, and how much cheaper, j/w?

Returns were marked with a sticker; new stock (of this model) were only directly accessible to employee's. In this instance it was 10% cheaper. BTW the speeds I quote were at stock voltages. 950 @ 1.16 seemed stable (on the unlockable card) though it ran up against the Powertune TDP limit and didn't seem to help the benchmark averages much; raising the maxs but lowering the mins.

Back