MSI 570 - Should I be weary to purchase?

Numan

Gawd
I've skimmed lots of forums and Newegg about the 570's although I saw a good deal on the MSI variant and I think I am going to break down, esp. if my buddy will buy my 280's off me. I won't be OCing anything. Just trying to get a consensus if the 570 line altogether is a lemon or not. I had issues like that with my 7800s I remember having to RMA two of them to BFG.

570's arent really a good deal just based on how they are sandwiched in the product line. Get the 560 2gb or go big for the 580.

With MIR the MSI 570 is $270CAD so we're literally talking a few bucks more than a 560Ti at this point and at least $30CAD less than a 6950 2GB. However the sale won't mean much if a lot of these units crap out a lot higher then the norm for a card that will not be OC'ed in a large, ventilated case.

I got an MSI 570. Seems they have two types - the initial ref release and a later beefed up FrosR release. I have the earlier one because the price difference between it and the 560 etc was tiny. The 570 also equates with the ATI 6970 - lots of tests show this is. I can say too that mine overclocks very well and runs cool on stock fan, eg 850/4400 is stable. MSI Afterburner is a great program for overclocking and controlling the fan.

Well that's good to hear :)

I'm currently reading some massive thread on Overclock with people and melted 570 VRMs, although the only common thing I'm picking out is everybody OC'ed the card to some degree and was running a benchmark like Futuremark.

It's just very hard to tell sometimes if stock settings will be alright if some vocal people say how something dies but forget to mention if they OC the hell out of it, etc.

I got factory overclocked MSI Twin Frozr IIs and they are superb but I am very weary to overclock them further, if overclocking is your bag with cards then I would be reluctant with these at stock or without some form of aftermarket cooler.

If in real-world usage you stay true to your word and do not overclock, the 570 reference PCB is good. If you think you might do some serious overclocking, getting the Twin Frozr II that has MSI's PCB will be a better bet, and probably give you slightly higher overclocks. In other words, avoid the reference design if you plan on doing more than modest overclocking, it only has four power phases, which isn't enough to cope with the sheer power of an overclocked 570.

With MIR the MSI 570 is $270CAD so we're literally talking a few bucks more than a 560Ti at this point and at least $30CAD less than a 6950 2GB. However the sale won't mean much if a lot of these units crap out a lot higher then the norm for a card that will not be OC'ed in a large, ventilated case.

The 6950 2GBs are hovering around $245-260 with MIRs, though I think all the reference cards are gone. Check newegg.ca

I assume however you'd prefer an Nvidia card. :)

Sorry but it is wary not weary.

Wary = not confident, cautious.

Weary = tired which could apply I guess lol.

Anyway, I was in the same boat. Then the Galaxy 480 GTX SOC deal came along for $230 AR and damn that thing smokes compared to my 5870!

I would be hesitant to get the 570 but only due to durability. Those VRMs scare me.

Yes, they're slightly slower (maybe 2%), but in the same league. They are significantly hotter, noisier, and more power hungry. In the real world these are significant concessions, so make sure you take this into account if you decide to get one.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GT_520/21.html

idle 25 watts vs. 54 watts = +220%
average 166 watts vs. 223 watts. = +34%
blu-ray 33 watts vs. 85 watts = +257%
noise 40 dB vs. 50dB = +10 dB (I believe roughly 2x as loud)

There was a time when I'd be like "whatever, fast = fast", but now that I own a reference 4850, which TPU classifies as ~40 dB in Furmark, I personally value a quieter card. So IDK, just putting all of this out there.

Uh my 480 gtx soc is not hot, noisy or slower than a 570. When oc'ed it compares more to a stock 580. It runs bfbc2 all high at 1600x1200 at 100-150fps w/ 8XQAA.

However, I would not bother with a stock 480. A 570 is preferrable to that for sure.

The MSI TwinFrozr II GTX570 uses Nvidia's reference PCB. The TwinFrozr III has a custom PCB.

You can get a PNY GTX 560 Ti for $195 after rebate by the way, so the price gap is actually still there if you compare on sale products. Same place I am assuming you see the MSI GTX 570 price from.

Random observation, but I discovered that I can lower the voltage on my 570 to 0.925v and still overclock about 20 MHz. It's a bit more quiet like that. Was afraid that the 560 would choke on 2560x1600, and the 580 is too much $$$ for a single computer component for my taste, though I'd love to have a 3gb version, lol. I think a stock 560 is the smartest money, lower power.

idk i looked this issue up before making my purchase of a reference msi 570 seemed like the people who were having issues was due to them pumping too much voltage into the card.... my impression from reviewing this issue was basically dont go past 1050 mv and your good to go so i bought one....
2 months now ive been running 905/1810/2047 1038mv with no problem at all and the card stays VERY cool never seen temps past high 60's no matter what im doing and most of the time it stays in the 50-60 range :)

Got the Galaxy OC 480GTX with the custom cooler and it seems a lot quieter and cooler compared to my stock 480GTX actually. Can't go wrong with either the 570 or the 570 if you can get them for a very good price.

I have the msi gtx 570 reference but oced version. I think it is around $310 on the egg after rebate. It has a decent factory oc and I have had no issues with it although I did set up a fan profile through afterburner right from the start. I got mine over a month ago for $293 after a mir and it came with two games and a 16gig thumb drive. Keep an eye out for deals and it is a killer card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127568

I got the ASUS DirectCUII instead because it has a better designed PCB and VRMs. I can add volts without worry but the original 570s are not as reliable.
This is a rare case that the non-reference cards are better than the reference cards. The OC makes it faster than a GTX 580 so it's worth it.

Back