MSI 560ti Twin Frozr II Artifacting

TorxT3D

Gawd
i bought this card back in march, its been perfect, no problems. not overclocked at all.
ive been running the beta driver 290.35 for several weeks, no problems, no tdrs.

cold boot my pc, and all the sudden i cant watch movies without ugly green lines, and little flickering dots on my screen. Now all the colors have gone to weird 8bit looking palettes

i bought from newegg without a warranty plan, and dont know if i have a year warranty on this card with msi.

whats my options? SOL? im about to revert back to WHQL drivers, and see what happens.
if im SOL should i examine the card's hsf or reapply thermal grease?
dunno if its related but temperature fluctuates pretty harsh in this room, between really hot and really cold. think it could have an impact on the gpu board and hsf?

thanks.

The card is probably just going bad if it's doing this at idle :(
I don't think a re-app of the TIM is even going to do anything, again, assuming your temps are just fine.

If you're talking micro-cracks, I thought that was a more of a problem with the older GTX260/280 generation? My biggest question is what do you mean you bought it "without a warranty plan". Most new cards come with some amount of manuf. warranty...so are you saying this is an open box?

nah, no open box its new. dunno if it comes with 30day or 1yr, i gotta dig the box and paperwork out to see.

downgraded drivers, no video from any xvids, and if they do work they bring on flicking dots around the screen. checking temps gpuz says 33-34c, 40%fan(1620rpm), while watching an mkv x264 720p

during an attempt to play a video, media player errored and didnt respond, force close. windows 7 64bit.
would a gfx card cause this?

cpu i7 2500k is running between 29-31c

possibly a ram stick?

Yeah, hardware problems will manifest in "idle", movie watching situations. I've seen it on cards as old as my 9800Pro, 6800NU and even newer cards. From my experience, seeing the "8-bit coloring", particularly in video playback is one of the bigger signs of this. But yeah I would get that RMA going if you can.

Anyway MSI should have at least a 1-year warranty though.
*Yeah I just looked at Newegg listings for MSI cards; should be at least a 3-year.

Haha stop ninja-editting. Nah, this isn't a RAM issue if it's manifesting in idle, video-playback scenarios. I would just get the RMA process started though - hopefully MSI runs advanced-RMAs too.

Turn the PC off cold and unplug PSU for 15 minutes. Power on and check again -- still a problem?

i have that same card, it says right on the front of the box it has a 3 year warranty from MSI. i would contact MSI because if have tried wiping drivers and have made sure you windows install is clean (not infected with viruses or spyware/malware) and otherwise acting normally i would have to agree with others and say you got a bad card there.

yea, the 3yr warranty and rma process looks pretty swift. i work at fedex so i can overnight it real cheap.
get this taken care of asap. imma try a few more troubleshooting before sending off though..

like doing that psu unplug, and various other things..

i for sure thought this card was from the first good batches, because im reading the reviews of the same card now and everyones got artifacts like its a manufacturing problem. i thought i was clear in the woods since i bought it when it first came out. :\

thanks guys..

i couldnt even do anything in windows, everything was glitching out and weird, no internet browser would open but would be blank, movies would play with audio but black screen. Never realized how much oddball shyt happens when the vid card mucks up.

i got an nzxt 850w psu, so imma test the dual power plugs, and maybe try another set.. dunno. card might not be getting enough juice.

EDIT: well, i removed the current pcie power plugs, and replaced with two new ones going into two new ports on the modular nzxt. no artifacting in furmark. 1080 preset bench, 73c max temp(after second run), 880mhz/2100mhz
psu tested, and the only led not lighting up is the -5v with my ultra psu tester, and all the other plugs are 12v fine. dunno if -5v is important or not. i'll give it a day or two and do my usual routine.. maybe its just a weak psu rail.

hwmonitor, just in case anyone sees anything out of the ordinary
tRXM0.jpg

Last edited:
-5V was only for ancient ISA cards (etc), and it was actually removed from the ATX PSU spec a while back. (Personally, I only buy single rail PSUs.)

my twin frozr 560ti just started artifacting too. Originally I thought it was crapping out a couple of months ago, but then it ended up being my monitor.. (black flickering, etc) but now Im SURE its my video card.. Ah well, off to warranty it goes

My MSI 560ti works grrrrreat! :cool:

Update us soon with how long your warranty took and did they treat you right/well?

Back