MSI 290X Gaming - $280 AR + CIV + $20 GC

Whatever AMD is cooking up for next-gen must be tasty. They are giving away 290x at this point.

Rebate says one per household just in case anyone wanted crossfire

Really looks like AMD is clearing inventory... and... possibly price points? :)

Dang, I got a video card boner now! Been looking at moving up to a 290X.

Just FYI, the free game is across most of the [new] 290Xs listed on the site. Don't want anyone to think it's exclusive to this make/model. And some other cards have the $20 promo card as well.

I'm guessing that this is a minor step down from the MSI Lightning that was linked a few days ago?

Whatever AMD is cooking up for next-gen must be tasty. They are giving away 290x at this point.

That, or they are trying to entice the people who are selling or returning their GTX 970s in light of the 3.5GB fiasco, as this puts the 290x right in that same price range (which is where it should be, given the similar performance).

Based on past experiences I prefer nVidia cards & drivers, but considering these are now cheaper than the 970 and you can purchase two of these for roughly the price of one 980...just wow.

I'm guessing that this is a minor step down from the MSI Lightning that was linked a few days ago?

Yes, this a step down from the Lightning in several ways, such as no backplate, 2 fans vs. 3, smaller heat sink, stock 1040 core vs. 1080 on the Lightning, non-Samsung memory, etc.

Yes, this a step down from the Lightning in several ways, such as no backplate, 2 fans vs. 3, smaller heat sink, stock 1040 core vs. 1080 on the Lightning, non-Samsung memory, etc.

It has a backplate but your right on the other things.

I just got a Lightning from Amazon for like 329. Wow that thing is a freaking tank!

Got lucky with my two XFX 290 DDs. Good (for XFX) VRM-1 temps (~75C), both unlocked to 290X.
$440 - $40 GC + 2x CIV games for dual 290Xs = FTMFW

It has a backplate but your right on the other things.

I just got a Lightning from Amazon for like 329. Wow that thing is a freaking tank!

I got the same Lightning from Amazon and it is likely the best gpu I have bought!

Guys I would stay away from MSI, my card 780 gaming caught fire after 10 months.
The RMA I got back caught fire after about 3 months.
I might just be unlucky, but I would steer clear of MSI.

I have the 770GTX 4Gb Gaming card and it has 2-8 pin connectors .. it is not cheap made parts..

Back