MSFT to Start Charging Users for Windows Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Microsoft has said that anyone that takes advantage of the free update will also receive free Windows 10 updates for life, and get a free Windows 10 Anniversary Edition, which will be released sometime this summer.

MSFT to Start Charging Users for Windows Upgrade (MSFT, AAPL) | Investopedia

So if you don't upgrade before July 29, anytime after July 29 will result in update charges? Wow. I guess they are pulling out all the stops to get everyone to upgrade. What if you bought window 10 say in 2020. Would you still be charged for updates? Sure sounds like it according to that article. The whole windows 10 update is a clusterfuck.

You're confusing upgrades and updates. If you want to upgrade to Windows 10 after July 29 you will have to pay for the upgrade not pay for updates to your current OS. Anybody purchasing Windows 10 either as a stand alone copy or included with a new PC is going to get updates the same as anyone else regardless of when they purchase it.

You're confusing upgrades and updates. If you want to upgrade to Windows 10 after July 29 you will have to pay for the upgrade not pay for updates to your current OS. Anybody purchasing Windows 10 either as a stand alone copy or included with a new PC is going to get updates the same as anyone else regardless of when they purchase it.

You are correct in what you are saying, this is no different from any previous version of Windows. Seriously though, I am uncertain whether the OP is trying to start a FUD war or if he simply misunderstood. I wonder how soon it will be before people start to claim that on July 30th, we will all have to now start paying a subscription fee for Windows?

Yes I got that incorrect, but what if you wanted to upgrade to 10.1 or what ever else they will call it. Would it be a charge?

Well, I'm pretty sure Microsoft has always charged for Windows upgrades... for instance, I had to buy a Windows 98 upgrade for my Windows 95 machine. And a Windows 7 upgrade for my Vista machine. Getting it for free is kind of a novel concept.

That said, I really hope Microsoft does start charging people to upgrade to Windows 10, if only to reward early adopters for not holding out rather than allowing just anyone that reluctantly upgrades to enjoy the same opportunity.

Plus, it would be fun to see the looks on the faces of everyone who thinks the offer will be extended indefinitely when they withdraw it. I mean, there's of course a chance they will extend it, but I would prefer they didn't.

Seriously though, I am uncertain whether the OP is trying to start a FUD war or if he simply misunderstood.

Probably a combination of a click-baity article title and a misunderstanding.

Well, I'm pretty sure Microsoft has always charged for Windows upgrades... for instance, I had to buy a Windows 98 upgrade for my Windows 95 machine. And a Windows 7 upgrade for my Vista machine. Getting it for free is kind of a novel concept.

Since there's so few OSes out there in mainstream world, it is worth noting that Apple's OS upgrades are all free as of two or three generations ago; however being the only legitimate hardware company for that OS they're in a completely different world that MS. We'll have to wait and see whether that really influences MS's decision on 10.1/11 forward ... And c'mon, of course they aren't going to charge for updates, what's even going on with that question?

Since there's so few OSes out there in mainstream world, it is worth noting that Apple's OS upgrades are all free as of two or three generations ago; however being the only legitimate hardware company for that OS they're in a completely different world that MS. We'll have to wait and see whether that really influences MS's decision on 10.1/11 forward ... And c'mon, of course they aren't going to charge for updates, what's even going on with that question?

Upgrades aren't updates. His title said Windows upgrade, so that's what I was addressing. I don't think Microsoft would charge for updates to the version of Windows you already own... at least not unless they make it a subscription service.

There's interesting wording in that article

Microsoft has said that anyone that takes advantage of the free update will also receive free Windows 10 updates for life, and get a free Windows 10 Anniversary Edition, which will be released sometime this summer.

For those that missed it when Windows 10 was first announced it will be the last "Windows". There will not be a Windows 11 or 12 they are in fact going to follow the same model as Apple with free upgrades. When you get a new PC whether pre-built or self built will be when you next purchase a copy.

MSFT to Start Charging Users for Windows Upgrade (MSFT, AAPL) | Investopedia

So if you don't upgrade before July 29, anytime after July 29 will result in update charges? Wow. I guess they are pulling out all the stops to get everyone to upgrade. What if you bought window 10 say in 2020. Would you still be charged for updates? Sure sounds like it according to that article. The whole windows 10 update is a clusterfuck.

This post gives us a good look at the average IQ for many Windows 10 complainers.

For those that missed it when Windows 10 was first announced it will be the last "Windows". There will not be a Windows 11 or 12 they are in fact going to follow the same model as Apple with free upgrades. When you get a new PC whether pre-built or self built will be when you next purchase a copy.

They might not be able to follow through with that, if not enough people adopt Windows 10 or use the Windows Store. Free upgrades don't make sense if they can't make money at them and the way in which they have to be provided is unacceptable to people or it makes them suspicious.

Given the way people are reacting, I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that people are so suspicious of free upgrades that the policy has backfired. It's only given more ammunition to conspiracy theorists.

While I'm predominately a Linux user that also runs OS X and Windows machines, I cannot for the life of me understand why any Windows user would deliberately boycott a free upgrade to Windows 10? Honestly, in my opinion it's better than Windows 7 and miles ahead of Windows 8.

At the end of the day your running proprietary code, anything could be in there including (tin foil hat on) NSA backdoors, so privacy is in no way guaranteed even under Windows 7 - Just upgrade to the latest and greatest and be done with it!

That said, I really hope Microsoft does start charging people to upgrade to Windows 10, if only to reward early adopters for not holding out rather than allowing just anyone that reluctantly upgrades to enjoy the same opportunity.

Plus, it would be fun to see the looks on the faces of everyone who thinks the offer will be extended indefinitely when they withdraw it. I mean, there's of course a chance they will extend it, but I would prefer they didn't.

Why is that exactly, does it REALLY effect YOU at all if MSFT decides to keep it free, No, not even in the least bit.
IMO with the way they built Win10 from the get go, it should be free.
For those who got used to it by choice or otherwise, awesome, but do many of those pay attention to the crud done in the process, I doubt it, or they simply do not care.
Anyways, point is you didnt pay for it(or did) but that is quite the foolish attitude to take "I hope they make others pay for it so us early adopters are the only ones who got it free"for the amount of times many of us had to cancel or go through hoops saying I do not want this update(for whatever reason) did MSFT pay us or say sorry for being asses about this "rollout" that is a massive resounding no, seriously man
"Here is your sign"

You coherently articulated your crazy MS conspiracy theories, I'll give you that.

So perhaps "nonsensical" would be a better descriptor?

Oh boy! Someone deigned to troll me!

Articulate, if you are able, WHERE I spouted some "conspiracy theory".

Oh wait...I didn't.

I just want to make sure that Microsoft's GWX crapware doesn't attempt upgrades without EXPLICIT user input after the cutoff date. That's all.

At no point did I say that they'd deliberately do something like this. Then again, I don't believe they deliberately ship patches they know brick specific systems either.

Never ascribe to malice what can be best explained away as stupidity.

So, I expect more of your completely innocent inquiry...

While I'm predominately a Linux user that also runs OS X and Windows machines, I cannot for the life of me understand why any Windows user would deliberately boycott a free upgrade to Windows 10? Honestly, in my opinion it's better than Windows 7 and miles ahead of Windows 8.

At the end of the day your running proprietary code, anything could be in there including (tin foil hat on) NSA backdoors, so privacy is in no way guaranteed even under Windows 7 - Just upgrade to the latest and greatest and be done with it!

Because it adds nothing I need and adds plenty of things I don't want. It also removes choice and takes away power from the user. Its MY PC. I decide when I want updates or to reboot. I have a surface pro 3 (which I love) with W10 on it. Mostly I take it on business trips. Guaranteed it will install updates and want a reboot right when I want to use it most and don't need interruptions. This whole of idea of Microsoft treating their OS like a goddamned smart phone is ridiculous.

Reactions: DPI
like this

"In fact", huh. SMH. Some people will believe anything apparently, even if it originated from a PR department.

Last edited:
"In fact", huh. SMH. Some people will believe anything apparently, even if it originated from a PR department.
Sorry I guess it was needed to be spelled out that this was a statement microsoft made and not what I personally knew was going to happen. Maybe I should edit the original post so another member doesn't get confused as to what was meant. :rolleyes:

Sorry I guess it was needed to be spelled out that this was a statement microsoft made and not what I personally knew was going to happen. Maybe I should edit the original post so another member doesn't get confused as to what was meant. :rolleyes:

Where did Microsoft say that Windows 10 was the last version of Windows?

Because it adds nothing I need and adds plenty of things I don't want. It also removes choice and takes away power from the user. Its MY PC. I decide when I want updates or to reboot. I have a surface pro 3 (which I love) with W10 on it. Mostly I take it on business trips. Guaranteed it will install updates and want a reboot right when I want to use it most and don't need interruptions. This whole of idea of Microsoft treating their OS like a goddamned smart phone is ridiculous.

On a device like a Surface Pro 3, Windows 10 adds a lot over Windows 7. Also change update restarting to notify if your device is guaranteed to update and restart constantly when you don't want it to.

Geezus,

If you have an issue with the update process you really are running the wrong OS, period. Windows has the most laughable update system ever devised - Installing update 1 of 40, only to install, reboot and then start updating 1 of 30...Are you kidding me?!

Having said that, I am yet to experience my Windows 10 PC reboot to install an update completely at random. I totally agree regarding the way MS is trying to force certain touch features into Windows 10, but you're not going to be able to stay on Windows 7 for ever, and it's unlikely MS are paying any attention to your boycott of Windows 10.

Eventually third party software development is going to dwindle for Windows 7 just like it did for XP and you're going to be forced to upgrade, I don't understand the principal behind boycotting a free upgrade when it's well known that it's only a matter of time before you're forced to upgrade anyway?

Geezus,

If you have an issue with the update process you really are running the wrong OS, period.
No. Win7 might have a shitty upgrade process, but I HAVE FULL CONTROL OVER IT. That's the issue. It doesn't do shit I don't approve of.

Eventually third party software development is going to dwindle for Windows 7 just like it did for XP and you're going to be forced to upgrade, I don't understand the principal behind boycotting a free upgrade when it's well known that it's only a matter of time before you're forced to upgrade anyway?
Because that time is not now. When the time comes and W7 is not capable of doing what I want then I will move on. Right now it does everything need. Free doesn't mean shit to me when what they are providing me causes me aggravation.

No. Win7 might have a shitty upgrade process, but I HAVE FULL CONTROL OVER IT. That's the issue. It doesn't do shit I don't approve of.

With the exception of malicious software updates, my Windows 10 PC hardly updates at all - And when it does I don't see anything worth boycotting the OS over.

Because that time is not now. When the time comes and W7 is not capable of doing what I want then I will move on. Right now it does everything need. Free doesn't mean shit to me when what they are providing me causes me aggravation.

And when the time, inevitably, arrives you're going to have to pay for the OS - Seems a little counter productive doesn't it?

Perhaps I see things outside the square? I think Windows is a woeful OS all round, doesn't matter whether you run Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10 - So you may as well just run the latest version and be done with it.

Articulate, if you are able, WHERE I spouted some "conspiracy theory".
When you wrote this in reference to Microsoft holding your computer hostage through software updates:
And please don't tell me Microsoft couldn't possibly do it "by accident".
The scare-quotes around "by accident", and the context in which you wrote it, would indicate you believe MS is going to intentionally render your Windows 7 installation inoperable by forcing Windows 10 on you without your permission, thus eliminating your valid Windows 7 key and requiring you to purchase a new license should you desire to go back to Windows 7. Because reasons.

In other words, typical anti-Microsoft tinfoil haberdashery.

With the exception of malicious software updates, my Windows 10 PC hardly updates at all - And when it does I don't see anything worth boycotting the OS over.

After a while, there are certain things that just don't add up when personal experience is SO different from personal accounts. Updates that require a restart in Windows 10. Ok, Patch Tuesday for certain. Beyond that there's just not much else. Flash updates will sometimes require it and there might be a mid-cycle patch that does. But this endless cycle of updates that require constant restarts, more than 3 a month? I've not seen that.

After a while, there are certain things that just don't add up when personal experience is SO different from personal accounts. Updates that require a restart in Windows 10. Ok, Patch Tuesday for certain. Beyond that there's just not much else. Flash updates will sometimes require it and there might be a mid-cycle patch that does. But this endless cycle of updates that require constant restarts, more than 3 a month? I've not seen that.

I'm not too sure on your context in relation to this reply?

As stated, I don't find Windows 10 to be that obtrusive in relation to Windows updates, Windows 8 was shocking though - When running Windows 8 it wasn't at all uncommon for me to be faced with an "updating 1 of 40" screen when all I wanted to do was a quick system restart, followed by an "updating 1 of 30" upon rebooting.

With the exception of kernel updates I just don't understand why Windows has so much trouble updating in the background - Most other desktop OS's seem to manage updating in the background just fine.

I used to be a full time Windows user and enthusiast of the operating system, until I tried something else and realized just how bad Windows really is. I still keep a Windows PC on hand and use it from time to time, but realistically the only reason I ever use it is because it contains all my network shares and I love the 4k monitor plugged into it.

Geezus,

If you have an issue with the update process you really are running the wrong OS, period. Windows has the most laughable update system ever devised - Installing update 1 of 40, only to install, reboot and then start updating 1 of 30...Are you kidding me?!

Having said that, I am yet to experience my Windows 10 PC reboot to install an update completely at random. I totally agree regarding the way MS is trying to force certain touch features into Windows 10, but you're not going to be able to stay on Windows 7 for ever, and it's unlikely MS are paying any attention to your boycott of Windows 10.

It's not "free". They're basically in control of the OS. They can advertise to you. They can monitor your activity on the system. Essentially YOU are the product.

So, because you aren't paying cash money for it doesn't mean you're not compensating Microsoft in other ways...

And as for refusing a "free" upgrade. I don't want to fight my OS. I don't want my OS phoning home with my usage statistics. I don't want machines I'm administering having unfettered access to stuff like the Windows Store. I don't want an OS that forces mandatory updates that can brick systems unless I deign to set up WSUS.

The fact that I'll "eventually" have to upgrade is immaterial. I don't want to be part of the group of unpaid beta test morons out there NOW. Maybe in 4-5 years, the OS will be a more worthwhile choice. If not, I can see my company migrating...

When you wrote this in reference to Microsoft holding your computer hostage through software updates:
The scare-quotes around "by accident", and the context in which you wrote it, would indicate you believe MS is going to intentionally render your Windows 7 installation inoperable by forcing Windows 10 on you without your permission, thus eliminating your valid Windows 7 key and requiring you to purchase a new license should you desire to go back to Windows 7. Because reasons.

In other words, typical anti-Microsoft tinfoil haberdashery.

If you read it as "scare quotes", that's your problem. Not mine.
So, face it, you took my quote out of context.

Good for you!

It's not "free". They're basically in control of the OS. They can advertise to you. They can monitor your activity on the system. Essentially YOU are the product.

So, because you aren't paying cash money for it doesn't mean you're not compensating Microsoft in other ways...

And as for refusing a "free" upgrade. I don't want to fight my OS. I don't want my OS phoning home with my usage statistics. I don't want machines I'm administering having unfettered access to stuff like the Windows Store. I don't want an OS that forces mandatory updates that can brick systems unless I deign to set up WSUS.

The fact that I'll "eventually" have to upgrade is immaterial. I don't want to be part of the group of unpaid beta test morons out there NOW. Maybe in 4-5 years, the OS will be a more worthwhile choice. If not, I can see my company migrating...

What you're failing to understand is that Windows was never 'your OS'....

...Neither is that DVD or Bluray you bought and neither is that iPhone many have in their pockets...

What you do own is the media the software is shipped on and the rights to a licence for the software. But make no mistake, in today's society you actually 'own' very little. If you want to 'own your OS', than I can assure you, you're running the wrong operating system - Period.

Last edited:
Never said I owned the OS. I just don't want to have to fight with it to keep it from doing things I, reasonably, don't want it doing.

And, in the end, if that means I have to get off Windows to do so, c'est la vie.

Never said I owned the OS. I just don't want to have to fight with it to keep it from doing things I, reasonably, don't want it doing.

And, in the end, if that means I have to get off Windows to do so, c'est la vie.

You want it to do what you want it to do, but it's not yours to do with as you please - I don't know what you're waiting for, I'd have reformatted already.

..Hang on, that's exactly what I did, and never looked back.

Last edited:
You want it to do what you want it to do, but it's not yours to do with as you please - I don't know what you're waiting for, I'd have reformatted already.

..Hang on, that's exactly what I did, and never looked back.

The things I'm asking aren't exactly outside the bounds of basic system administrator requirements.
It's a fucking operating system. So yes, it's more or less supposed to do what I need it to.

And I haven't reformatted yet because my company is still primarily on Windows 7 by choice.
There's basically zero need for Windows 10 any time in the near future.
Once all support is about to end, then, maybe we'll look at it again.
But, if it doesn't satisfy our requirements, it'll get booted.

But hey, if you want to continue needling me because the current iteration of Windows 10 doesn't meet my company's needs, knock yourself out newbie...

The things I'm asking aren't exactly outside the bounds of basic system administrator requirements.
It's a fucking operating system. So yes, it's more or less supposed to do what I need it to.

And I haven't reformatted yet because my company is still primarily on Windows 7 by choice.
There's basically zero need for Windows 10 any time in the near future.
Once all support is about to end, then, maybe we'll look at it again.
But, if it doesn't satisfy our requirements, it'll get booted.

But hey, if you want to continue needling me because the current iteration of Windows 10 doesn't meet my company's needs, knock yourself out newbie...

'Newbie'?

...Nice.

You're very aggressive over your decision to use Windows 7? For what it's worth, if my company had a number of PC's running Windows 7, considering MS and their need to run a server as a DC with anything over ~5 PC's on a network, I'd stick with Windows 7 also. Luckily my business can run on Linux so I really don't care what you do as I personally think Windows sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back