MSE is now available for Small Businesses:

Thank you Ranma, I'm looking forward to the next version of MSE also, reading some good things about it.

I'm crossing my fingers for a server version, the articles makes no mention of it though.

Oh thank you!

Now I got to contact some clients and get those converted quickly.

Question Ranma...will Microsoft be certifying MSE for installation on a server? Some small businesses, even if under 10 PCs..may still have a basic file server running Server 03 or 08. I'm not expecting MSE to be redone so it can be installed on Small Business Server, but vanilla Standard server would be nice.

I believe Fortinet Security Suite is the only fee AV I've seen where it's supported on Windows Server.

"Microsoft is announcing that beginning in early October, Microsoft Security Essentials will become free to use for organizations with up to 10 PCs."

:( at least gimme license for up to 100 pcs

"Microsoft is announcing that beginning in early October, Microsoft Security Essentials will become free to use for organizations with up to 10 PCs."

:( at least gimme license for up to 100 pcs

LOL, are you serious? Give someone an inch...

I think this is very cool!

Nice. Now there will be less discussion about whether that PC is a company rig, or :rolleyes: "personal". :D

I'm waiting to see how well the new version does when it gets out of Beta. Might switch from Avast.

yea i edited that out shortly after i posted

So hpoefully there is a server version as forefront is way too expensive.

:rolleyes:

I think 10 PC's constitutes an actual "small business"....not 100. Even 20 would be pushing the limit IMO.

Legally, depending on the industry and state, it varies from 100 to 500 employees. In my state the magic number is 350. Now granted there's not a 1:1 when it comes to employee and computer. And when talking about SMB computing we typically hold the top at 100 nodes.

I don't see 10 as bad. Once you're around 10 or over, you typically have a server onsite...often SBS, and you're under the care of an SMB consultant...hence usually a managed AV solution.

10 and less is the ideal setup for peer to peer, unmanaged, just a handful of workstations.

I believe (dont quote me on this) that the only way to get Forefront Endpoint Protection (the new version of forefront) without a hefty sccm setup will be with Windows Intune (used to be called System Center Online).

Legally, depending on the industry and state, it varies from 100 to 500 employees. In my state the magic number is 350. Now granted there's not a 1:1 when it comes to employee and computer. And when talking about SMB computing we typically hold the top at 100 nodes.

I don't see 10 as bad. Once you're around 10 or over, you typically have a server onsite...often SBS, and you're under the care of an SMB consultant...hence usually a managed AV solution.

10 and less is the ideal setup for peer to peer, unmanaged, just a handful of workstations.
I wasn't thinking legally....just personally for a realistic use of MSE.

Back