MSE detecting Malwarebytes as Trojan

_PixelNinja

[H]ard|Gawd
Today while I was on my gaming rig, Microsoft Security Essentials popped up warning me about a Rogue Win32/Winwebsec. I immediately removed it and restarted the computer in safe mode. I ran a full scan with Malwarebytes which did not find anything then a full scan with MSE, once again indicating a Rogue Win32/Winwebsec. Every time I rebooted the computer and ran MSE, it would indicate a the presence of the malware. When I searched for the location of the infestation, to my surprise MSE was pointing out to the where Malwarebytes was.

I removed Malwarebytes, rebooted the computer and ran another full scan with MSE this time not finding anything. Just to make sure I reinstalled Malwarebytes, did a scan and MSE indicated the Rogue Win32/Winwebsec again. I have now completely removed Malwarebytes from my computer.

I do not really understand where this is coming from. MSE and Malwarebytes have been cohabiting on the system since I put it together. Additionally, the laptop I am using now I also has both programs and no such phenomenon is happening.

Has anybody else encountered such an issue?

Thanks for any information or help.

Last edited:
Might be MSE detecting something Malwarebytes quarantined. Removing MalwareBytes removed the quarantined item as well?

Just tell MSE to exempt Malwarebytes from its scans...

This may point you in the right direction:

http://www.computercourage.com/anti...-essentials-play-well-together-in-windows-xp/

I don't see a need to tell Malware bytes that MSE is ok, since it already detects that it is OK. Just do the second half.
Thank you for the link.

Since the article specifies Windows XP, it reminds me I forgot to mention the operating system is Windows 7. To be honest though I'd really like to know (with my limited knowledge and understanding in security issues) why MSE suddenly has this behavior on the concerned system, considering MBAM as a rogueware... My paranoid side doesn't feel confident in reinstalling MBAM although there shouldn't be any reason to.

Doesn't matter; MSE is the same on XP/Vista/7, etc.

The sudden est is caused by a virus definition update put out by MSE that inadvertently catches malware bytes as a threat. It happens all the time with all of the anti virus products.

Back