MSDN Disc says it's bootable, and has ISO's, but doesn neither

98EXL

Gawd
I have a Win2K3 STD R2 box that I want to do some testing on, and I can't get a damn CD-R to boot.

It specifically states on the DVD that it itself is bootable, and would give me some sort of menu and I could install the OS from there. The other thing is that there are supposed to be ISO's on there as well...no dice...just the plain ol' files.

SO the question is, who knows what I'm talking about? I've never taken software directly off the discs for dev, that was always done....so what am I missing?

1. Where did you get the MSDN disc from?
2. What "files" are listed?
3. Where are you reading that the CD is bootable and will present you with a menu of options?

1. Where did you get the MSDN disc from?
2. What "files" are listed?
3. Where are you reading that the CD is bootable and will present you with a menu of options?

1. work....came in the mail not to long ago

Code:
 Directory of D:\ENGLISH\WIN2003_R2\32BIT\STANDARD\DISC1

08/01/2006  03:46 PM    <DIR>          .
08/01/2006  03:46 PM    <DIR>          ..
03/22/2006  08:00 AM               110 AUTORUN.INF
08/01/2006  03:45 PM    <DIR>          DOCS
08/01/2006  03:46 PM    <DIR>          I386
08/01/2006  03:46 PM    <DIR>          PRINTERS
03/22/2006  08:00 AM             9,643 README.HTM
03/22/2006  08:00 AM         1,306,624 SETUP.EXE
08/01/2006  03:46 PM    <DIR>          SUPPORT
03/22/2006  08:00 AM                10 WIN51
03/22/2006  08:00 AM                10 WIN51IS
03/22/2006  08:00 AM                10 WIN51IS.SP1
               6 File(s)      1,316,407 bytes
               6 Dir(s)               0 bytes free

D:\ENGLISH\WIN2003_R2\32BIT\STANDARD\DISC1>

Can I install operating systems from DVD if there is no current operating system already?
Yes. DVDs with Windows versions are bootable. A boot menu allows you to choose which operating system to boot into. Note: currently 64-bit versions of Windows are not bootable from DVD.

Can I easily create CD-Rs from content delivered in my DVD subscription?

Yes, the content on the DVDs is organized in such a way that it is easy to create your own CD-Rs from DVD. However, there are some things that must be paid attention to:

* Keep the path identical. For example, if the path to Windows XP Professional on a DVD is \English\WinXP\Pro\, be sure to put all of the files on the CD-R in the same path.
* If there are any files in the root of the DVD, be sure to put them in the root of your CD-R.
* The CD-R's volume label must match the DVD's volume label.
* CD-Rs can only be created and used in accordance with the MSDN Master End-User License Agreement (EULA).
* CD-Rs are unsupported by Microsoft Technical Support.
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/aa948864.aspx#DVD

Um, put a $25 DVD drive into the machine, rather than burn CD's?

there is a DVD in there already....but no boot....CD's boot in the DVD drive...but not the 'bootable-dvd'

Just by looking at the dir of the dvd, I can tell you now that it will never boot, it hasnt got the proper files or image to boot from.

Maybe in some of those folders on the dvd there is a actual image or bootable files that you have to extract and make a cd out of ?, but what you have is an unbootable dvd by the looks of it...

Or 1 other theory is that their is hidden files that are indeed bootable and for some reason it isnt working properly ?

Depending on what the dvd is, I would just try and run it via windows.

one more thing, you have probably got this covered, but is your dvd drive set to boot before the harddrive starts loading the OS ? if not the harddrive will load before the dvd starts to even think about booting.

just to make sure, in your bios set your dvd drive to be the first boot device then your harddrive to be second, maybe that will help if it isnt already like that.

BTW, I dont think splitting the dvd up into several CD's is going to help ya 1 little bit, I think you will be even more confused, just try and run the setup.exe file from the dvd from within windows and that should start things off for ya, if you dont like what you see, their will always be an option for you to cancel before you do anything/any changes to your pc are made, so you can easily stop it without any problems if you so desire...

Personally, if it was me, I would just run the setup.exe file.

well, I'm really fucking irritated but this is what we ended up doing.

1. Dropped in 98EXL's WinXP Unattended build CD
2. Popped in MSDN disk, installed 2k3 from XP

I don't like it, but whatever, it's temporary

I thought Windows 2003 R2 was not a standalone release.

Back