MS SUS Server not updating clients.

agrikk

Gawd
Hey all.

Anyone out there using Software Update Server to distribute patches to their clients?

I'm having a hell of a time to get it to work.

Here's what I've done so far:

I installed SUS1.0 SP1 on a patched and updated Windows 2003 Server.

I sync'd the server with the windows servers to receive all the updates and created the settings file to include all pertinent info.

I installed the latest WUAU template with the four options and created a new GPO to force the settings out to each client:

Auto Updating: Option 4 (Auto download and schedule installation) at 1pm every day (it's a test setup).

I've set up the GPO to point to the intranet server.

Rescheduling is enabled to wait 5 minutes after system startup.

No auto-restart is enabled.

----

The client is an XP Pro machine with SP1 installed. It has been added to the AD Domain and I've checked its effective settings and it is receiving the GPO changes.

But nothing happens at 1pm. It's pissing me off...

Anyone have any suggestions?

Another stupid question, but does the client need updating? or is it already fully patched?

It turned out that I just wasn't waiting long enough.

Apparently the first update needs a 24-36 hour lead before it actually starts. I kept setting the policy object for an hour or so lead, figuring an hour was enough time for the directory to push out the update to the client.

But nooOOoooOOo... I went away for the weekend, leaving everything running, and when I'd got back it had run.

Asking around, peeps said they'd had the same experience.

So, note to Microsoft: Maybe somewhere on your web pages or documentation you should state that it will take at least a day for SUS changes to take hold.

Grrr...

Back