MS SQL Hardware server setup questions

Karandras

[H]ard|Gawd
This is more of a hardware / networking question. Here is what's going on.

Currently we have a Whatsup Gold Dell T400 server that just can't handle both WhatsUp and MSSQL. We are deciding to split the boxes up and get a R510 (Or T610, depends on the price our rep can get for us) for the SQL server and keep WhatsUp on the T400. The hardware requirements will be very much satisfied (1xQuad core, 8 gig ram, 300 gig 15k SAS drives, 64 bit Win2k8, dual GigE NICs) with the new server but I've never worked with SQL server that was as utilized as this one so here is my question:

What type of network congestion will this create being there will be a lot of traffic going between these two boxes? Since both boxes have GigE NICs, I'll probably be putting them on their own GigE switch since the rest of the network is 10/100 so I'm hoping that if there are any network problems they would be resolved.

I've heard of fiber channel but don't know what it is or if it would be worth the cost in this (as I would need fiber channel cards in both servers).

What is the best way to set this up? I guess I'm just looking for some insight from some SQL gurus.

Thanks.

1 GB should be fine, i would break them off into their own VLAN if there is going to be a lot of broadcast traffic to cut down on congestion

There shouldn't be a whole lot of broadcast traffic that I know of with WhatsUp, I was going to put in an 8 port GigE switch to handle these two, put the backup server on the same switch as well to make sure backups from the SQL server are done at a speedy pace.

If your worried about congestion on the entire lan, break them into their ow VLAN. If you don't think 1 GB will be enough, grab a managed switch and team some nics

Thanks for the info. The boss has said we are going to see how much traffic it pushes through 100 Mbit then if it's too much we'll GigE it.

Back