MS Security Essentials

xth-o-dth

n00b
I recently bought a new laptop for my wife and I, with Win 7 64, and since I don't have a 64-bit version of NOD 32, I installed MS Security Essentials.

I've seen people state that it's as good as NOD 32, is this true? Any comparisons been made that support that statement?

Just want to make sure I don't need to buy another copy of NOD 32 and MS Essentials is actually as good as I've heard.

Thanks.

considering the review in the link I posted to av-comparatives gave it a score of "Advanced+" (which is their highest ranking), I would say it's worth it.

Especially with the fact that it's also free.

Thanks for the link.

I haven't read the review yet, but if you say it received their highest rating, and with everything else I've been hearing, I guess it's good enough to use.

I already installed it the day we got the new laptop with Win 7 64, but since I don't visit "questionable" sites, it's hard to see "how good" it's doing personally, unless you're hitting sites with malware etc. and you visibly see it's catching it.

Finally had more time today to start posting, looking around etc., and it seems that people are really putting it up there with NOD 32, which I find impressive. Especially because it's free, which shocked me even when I first heard about it, since it is MS, after all.

I'm a gold partner NOD reseller, I love MSE, lightweight, no nags, and in my experience with it on a lot of infected computers...quite good and cleaning and preventing infections.

I find it lighter than the latest NOD32 version 4.

It's what I protect my home computers with, and my work laptop..and again, I choose it over the free NFR NOD licenses I have.

Using it to clean infected rigs we get at the office...I find it very very effective.

PCWorld recently ranked a bunch of free antivirus programs, AntiVir got top spot....MSE was only 1.1% behind it in detection, add to this MSE scored 100% in their tests of detecting and cleaning rootkits.

Seriously? Another thread on this?

We need an empty sticky in bold that just says "YES, MSE KICKS ASS"

Seriously? Another thread on this?

We need an empty sticky in bold that just says "YES, MSE KICKS ASS"

LOL I know, but at least this one was put in the proper forum..networking and security..instead of operating system or general software.

Who is in charge of stickies at [H]ardforum, I feel like we could use a full-time sticky manager.

Dunno, but I agree with everyone else above. Interesting that it seems to be a Microsoft product that everyone actually likes.

Interesting that it seems to be a Microsoft product that everyone actually likes.

Isn't it.

I guess people have to overcome the notion that everything MS produces is expensive bloatware. MSE isn't bloated or expensive...let's hope it continues to be free and lightweight. It's an excellent offering at this time, for sure.

Yeah, I converted from Avira a couple weeks ago to MSE on Windows 7 Pro x64. It has been running great so far and have no issues with downloading updates like Avira was having for me. Also owning a SSD drive for the OS is a huge plus on quick scan, takes like 2 minutes for a scan to complete!

I also just converted my GF's laptop to MSE. Will probably convert her Desktop PC soon enough.

Just for good measure I also keep a couple of Spyware programs around but not auto-loading at startup, just manual updates and scans. SuperAntiSpyware and Spybot. Doubt they are top notch but they are free and helped clean up some issues in the past among various computers.

Back