MS Releases Vista Performance Patches to Testers

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this news item, Microsoft has released two performances patches to testers that supposedly fixes a bunch of performance issues and addresses a lot of compatibility issues with video card drivers. The patch is not officially out yet but it is available on the net in various locations.

Increased compatibility with many video drivers. Improved visual appearance of games with high intensity graphics. Improved quality of playback for HD DVD and Blue-Ray disks on large monitors. Improved reliability for Internet Explorer when some third party toolbars are installed on Vista. Improved reliability of systems that were upgraded from XP to Vista. Resolves an issue where creating AVI files on Vista may get corrupted. Improves the performance of Vista's Memory Manager in specific customer scenarios and prevents some issues which may lead to memory corruption.

Did you guys get this Steve? If so let us know how well it improves, been waiting for a while to upgrade to vista (w/o having to dual boot).

Looks like it will be released next Tue-Wed through Microsoft Update....this is good :D

Hmm, if this works as advertised, I might finally use the Vista DVD thats been sitting on my shelf for the last five months.

This is the type of stuff I've been waiting for before I upgrade to Vista. Still happy with XP... Will upgrade when Microsoft finishes fixing everything.

I'm running Vista Ultimate and have been for many months and am amazingly happy with it. I set up dual boot expecting to have to go back to XP often, but I have only booted into XP three times total since I put Vista on. I play games quite a bit and some (company of heroes comes to mind) have been MORE stable in Vista. I really expected trouble, but I have had none. I plan on dumping XP as it is on my raptor, and moving my Vista install to the faster drive.

My specs are not amazing either, Core 2 Duo with 2Gb of ram and I'm using 2gb of readyboost for the heck of it though I can't tell it does anything. ATI 1950 Pro and I am plenty pleased with Vista overall. I expected Windows ME I guess.

My only real gripe is the slow file copy/transfer speed, but that is more work related as a gripe than home use.

Just beware that the digital driver signing cannot be switched off after applying the patches.

Just beware that the digital driver signing cannot be switched off after applying the patches.

Actually, that feature is already in the 64-bit version, and increases your computer's security against rootkits by a very large amount.

Actually, that feature is already in the 64-bit version, and increases your computer's security against rootkits by a very large amount.
You can indeed turn off driver signing currently though. I wonder if he means the ability to would be gone? How the hell could anyone beta test a friggin driver. I guess it would just have to be signed o_O

Well? Lets hear about it guys. Let the results come POURING in. How's this one treating you guys so far?

dont work, sli is still garbage, still missing ~20% performance vs xp

Does it enable ATI/Nvidia to pull their head our of the collective rear ends and allow their drivers to work with mobile 3d chipsets in vista again?
http://www.techwarelabs.com/articles/other/nosupport/
I'd really like it if I had recent drivers for the 7950 GTX in my $3,994 Dell M1710. No I'm not bragging. I'm just saying if your going to market high end 3d chips for laptops to OEMs then allow said OEM to sell that laptop with Vista as the only choice you shouldn't leave all the users who buy said laptop based in part on your good name out in the freaking cold. Hope you keep that in mind in any laptop reviews you do from now on Steve. Your reviews have been good as gold in my mind for a long time man.

This one is quite interesting, I want to learn more about it:

Yeah, I was sort of under the impression that Graphics quality was mostly in the game developers area, with a side order of video card drivers.

Maybe it's just some sort of DX10 optimization/fix?

If there was some fundamental vista thing that was impairing graphics quality, I would have thought, yer Carmacks and Reins would have been bitching in public about it :p.

Installed these beta patches on the notebook that is running 32bit Ultimate Edition here.

Boot times are cut by 3 or 4 seconds, which is significant amount of time given the speed of the 2.5" HDD in the notebook.

Aero Glass seems to be more fluent when watching video in windowed media player or VLC, as well as not needing to drop down a level & remove the glass effects when encoding DVD in Nero Vision.

File copy speed is significantly improved over before, even though I didn't really find it any problem initially. There is a lso much quicker response time over the network here with regards of going from a Vista machine to an XP machine & vice versa.

Overall, it pretty much does what it says on the tin.

That's what i was talking about. In the 64bit version, you can't turn it off anymore, making tons of programs useless. For example Rivatuner, which uses a .dll file that is not digitally signed. Previously, you could turn off the driver signing and everything was peachy. Not so anymore.

Pretty sad when a brand new OS needs to be improved! Microsoft will never get it right the first time. It gets old pretty fast having to go through the same routines with every new OS they have. OK I feel better now, sorry for the rant :D

Sorry, This breaks the camel's back for me. If I want to use non signed drivers on my machine I should have that right. I don't want Microsoft telling me what I can or cannot use.

Give us the option to disable so called features that some users do not want.

It's only the second of the patches that does this. I uninstalled that patch and everything is back to normal again. Let's not forget that these are BETA release patches, so some quirks are to be expected.

Pretty sad when a brand new OS needs to be improved! Microsoft will never get it right the first time. It gets old pretty fast having to go through the same routines with every new OS they have. OK I feel better now, sorry for the rant :D

That's no different than any other OS including Linux. I've had more security based patches to apply for Redhat ES5 than i had for any Windows Version in the last 6 months.

You don't have to patch anything, if you don't want to. Since new security holes are being found and new improvements being thought of all the time, there will never be an OS that doesn't get patches released. Unless, of course, Apple goes nuts and just releases a new OS every 6 months instead of every other year.;)

Seemed to work on Vista 32 however, BSD when attempting to wake system from hibernate. Used restore point to go back to preinstall, wakeup works OK now.

Does it enable ATI/Nvidia to pull their head our of the collective rear ends and allow their drivers to work with mobile 3d chipsets in vista again?
http://www.techwarelabs.com/articles/other/nosupport/
I'd really like it if I had recent drivers for the 7950 GTX in my $3,994 Dell M1710. No I'm not bragging. I'm just saying if your going to market high end 3d chips for laptops to OEMs then allow said OEM to sell that laptop with Vista as the only choice you shouldn't leave all the users who buy said laptop based in part on your good name out in the freaking cold. Hope you keep that in mind in any laptop reviews you do from now on Steve. Your reviews have been good as gold in my mind for a long time man.

I feel the same way. I would rather have a driver from them instead of some 3rd party place that has to make modified ones just to get it work right. I wouldn't be surprised if some lawsuit started because of this.

I wonder if this incorporates that SLi/Crossfire Microsoft patch/update that was released a week or two ago?

Anyone know? This might be the final nudge that pushes me to Vista for good. I keep installing it, liking it, but gong back to XP for performance reasons.

It's impossible to release an OS that will work out of the box for such a large user base. There are so many PCs running Windows, each with a slightly different hardware/software combination. It is simply impossible for MS or any other company to make a new OS work perfectly under so many different situations. Therefore, when a new version of Windows is released, there are always some situations that cause prolems with it, prompting MS to release patches to fix those problems.

Back