MS pulling the plug on OneDrive for Windows 7, 8, & 8.1 in Early 2022.

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
Just in case you needed another reason why relying on cloud storage is a bad idea... MS is going to drop support for Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 in the near future. Not a lot of advanced notice really, especially for those who really use it and rely on it.

https://www.thurrott.com/cloud/micr...ll-onedrive-for-windows-7-8-8-1-in-early-2022

Now on some level I can understand dropping Windows 7 support, because the OS itself is out of support, but it's still popular. Even Edge still supports Windows 7 I believe. But to drop Windows 8.1 support is very odd. Windows 8.1 is still supported until 2023. Kind of strange for MS to drop support for a MS cloud storage product on an MS OS that is still supported... Granted I can't think of any reason to still be using 8.1 as 10 was a natural successor, but it's nonetheless still supported.

Just in case you needed another reason why relying on cloud storage is a bad idea... MS is going to drop support for Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 in the near future. Not a lot of advanced notice really, especially for those who really use it and rely on it.

https://www.thurrott.com/cloud/micr...ll-onedrive-for-windows-7-8-8-1-in-early-2022

Now on some level I can understand dropping Windows 7 support, because the OS itself is out of support, but it's still popular. Even Edge still supports Windows 7 I believe. But to drop Windows 8.1 support is very odd. Windows 8.1 is still supported until 2023. Kind of strange for MS to drop support for a MS cloud storage product on an MS OS that is still supported... Granted I can't think of any reason to still be using 8.1 as 10 was a natural successor, but it's nonetheless still supported.
It makes sense to me. Microsoft is likely using this as a nudge to get business customers moving to Windows 10/11, particularly those that are already using a version of Windows past its final support date. Remember, organizations holding on to Windows XP have been a serious pain for Microsoft, to the point where one of the world's worst ransomware attacks can be strongly attributed to companies and institutions refusing to upgrade to newer versions. Microsoft might consider the OneDrive approach a small price to pay if it avoids another WannaCry-like fiasco, among other problems.

It makes sense to me. Microsoft is likely using this as a nudge to get business customers moving to Windows 10/11, particularly those that are already using a version of Windows past its final support date. Remember, organizations holding on to Windows XP have been a serious pain for Microsoft, to the point where one of the world's worst ransomware attacks can be strongly attributed to companies and institutions refusing to upgrade to newer versions. Microsoft might consider the OneDrive approach a small price to pay if it avoids another WannaCry-like fiasco, among other problems.

Yes, like I said, the main thing I find confusing is that they are dropping support for Windows 8.1. Windows 8.1 is still supported until 2023...

Yes, like I said, the main thing I find confusing is that they are dropping support for Windows 8.1. Windows 8.1 is still supported until 2023...
My theory is that Microsoft doesn't want corporate customers hanging on to 8.1 until the last possible second when they can clearly avoid it. Not so hot if you genuinely need the OneDrive app (and the browser won't do), but Microsoft is likely betting that the subset of people who need 8.1 and native OneDrive is pretty small.

you missed that part where its the app, use the web version if you insist on out of date os.

Well, I don't consider an OS that is still supported to be an "out of date" OS. Otherwise what do support dates even mean? OneDrive isn't nearly as useful without the explorer integration. Using the web version is okay in the sense that you will still have rudimentary access to your files but it's not a replacement for the real app.

To be clear, I don't actually use Windows 8.1 on any of my computers at this point, but I know some who still do. Mainly, I find it disturbing for Microsoft to set a bad precedent by dropping support for their products on Operating Systems that are still supported. Windows 10 is still supported until 2025. I think to most people, it would be logical to assume that OneDrive on Windows 10 would be supported until 2025 also. But following this precedent we'd be looking at a 2023-2024 end date. Maybe they will actually push it to 2025 simply because Windows 10 has more users, but then that begs the next question, exactly how many users does an OS have to retain (while it's still supported) before MS starts abandoning it anyway?

Well, I don't consider an OS that is still supported to be an "out of date" OS. Otherwise what do support dates even mean? OneDrive isn't nearly as useful without the explorer integration. Using the web version is okay in the sense that you will still have rudimentary access to your files but it's not a replacement for the real app.

To be clear, I don't actually use Windows 8.1 on any of my computers at this point, but I know some who still do. Mainly, I find it disturbing for Microsoft to set a bad precedent by dropping support for their products on Operating Systems that are still supported. Windows 10 is still supported until 2025. I think to most people, it would be logical to assume that OneDrive on Windows 10 would be supported until 2025 also. But following this precedent we'd be looking at a 2023-2024 end date. Maybe they will actually push it to 2025 simply because Windows 10 has more users, but then that begs the next question, exactly how many users does an OS have to retain (while it's still supported) before MS starts abandoning it anyway?
purhaps comsumers just dont use it, so dropping support makes sense to them. only people i know that do are employees.

Just because an OS is supported*, doesn't mean every and all apps are supported for that OS version.

Keep in mind, there are multiple definitions of supported, as well. Win8.1 which you are oddly championing for, is in Maintenance mode only, mainstream support ended in 2018.

Just because it's not supported doesn't mean it won't still work, unless MS pulls an apple and deliberately prevents it from working.

Back