MS Office word format messed up when viewed from different PC with different windows!

sram

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi folks. I don't know if somebody has seen before, but it certainly shouldn't be the case. Several PC's in one of our offices are in a workgroup network. Some have windows 7, and some are still using XP. What happens is that when you create a word file, save it in the shared drive, and try to view from another machine, the format will just be messed up only when the other machine has a different OS. Why is that? This shouldn't be happening, right?

Yes, we can upgrade xp, but why should we do it if it is just doing its job like it should. Upgrade because of this issue? What's wrong? Am I missing something here? All pc's are using MS office 2007. I'd like to see if somebody encountered this problem before, and if there is a solution for it other than matching all OS's.

Thanks.

Messed up how? Using fonts that are only available on certain computers? What format are the documents?

Messed up how? Using fonts that are only available on certain computers? What format are the documents?

No, it is not about features(font) availability. For example, if one line is aligned to the left, this won't be the case if the file is viewed in xp. Words in sentences will be seperated. Spacing is not as it should be. These are the kind of things that get messed up.

What version of Office on the computers and what file format are hte documents being saved as?

Doesn't help that he's not supplying answers to the other questions though.

Been away from the forum. Be patient. Well, I would say the format is just docx. Why would it be something else? It is the default in 2007. It is not like the user will try to change the file extension.

Unless office 2007 decides the file extension depending on the OS it is installed on.!!!#?

Unfortunately, I'm on leave and I can't go double check.

Back