MS Intellimouse Optical - new versions, or replacement ideas?

Colonel Sanders

Supreme [H]ardness
First off, I'm a lefty so my selection of mice is severely limited. For years I've been using an Intellimouse Optical. I bought this one in like 2003 so I have no idea if it's a 1.1 or not (can't find how to tell).

I got tired of it not being able to track very fast movements (getting more into competitive online FPS so this is crippling me) so I decided to order a DeathAdder lefty edition. Long story short, the software is very buggy and when I updated the firmware, it essentially disabled my left and right mouse buttons randomly for 2 or 3 minutes at a time like every 20 minutes. Only did this after the firmware update. Aside from that I just don't like the mouse, it's a little bigger and wider than the Intellimouse Optical and just isn't comfy for me.

What did the IO 1.1 add over the original, if anything? Did they ever fix the tracking problems? e.g. if I flick my wrist and move the mouse across the pad really quickly (like trying to do a 180 to get someone trying to knife me in Bad Company 2) the mouse will lose tracking and totally put cursor in a random position.

If they did ever fix that problem, is it possible to get them online still without buying a funky old used one?

Aaaaand, if they never did fix that tracking problem and/or they aren't available anywhere these days, what is a good replacement for a lefty that prefers PALM grip mice, not claw grip (as close to MS Intellimouse Optical shape/feel as possible)?

Cliffs:
-lefty user, used MS Intellimouse Optical for years, switched to DeathAdder lefty version, did not like
-can MS IO 1.1 be bought new still and did they ever improve the tracking abilities from what the MS IO first came out?
-if not, what else should I look at for a palm-grip lefty?

AFAIK all Intellimouse opticals suffer from the issue you are describing its called "negative acceleration". MS discontinued them but you may still find some old stock around.

I believe the Steelseries Xai is shaped pretty much identically to the IMO.

Sounds more like skipping and hitting the low malfunction speed. But yeh as above the xai might be for you seeing as how your options are limited.

I'm a righty and used the Intellimouse Optical for a long time also.
I prefer symmetrical shaped mice so when it came time to get a new one I tried the MS Laser 6000 wired but found it to be a bit too flat and uncomfortable.
Then I found the Microsoft Sidewinder X3. For me it's as comfortable as the MS Optical was, but with faster laser tracking and on-the-fly DPI switching.

This mouse:
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/sidewinder-x3-mouse/UUC-00001

AFAIK all Intellimouse opticals suffer from the issue you are describing its called "negative acceleration". MS discontinued them but you may still find some old stock around.

I believe the Steelseries Xai is shaped pretty much identically to the IMO.

Thanks for the suggestion. The Xai appears at first glance to be ambidextrous but the side buttons are only reachable if you used it in your right hand, so it doesn't work for me. :(

Edit: nevermind, apparently I just missed the other 2 side buttons. Hmmm, I want to try a Xai but they appear to be out of stock everywhere.

I'm a righty and used the Intellimouse Optical for a long time also.
I prefer symmetrical shaped mice so when it came time to get a new one I tried the MS Laser 6000 wired but found it to be a bit too flat and uncomfortable.
Then I found the Microsoft Sidewinder X3. For me it's as comfortable as the MS Optical was, but with faster laser tracking and on-the-fly DPI switching.

This mouse:
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/sidewinder-x3-mouse/UUC-00001

Thanks, I might have to try this one. It looks like the side buttons would be a little uncomfortable to use though.

Last edited:
As an owner of the intelli 1.1, I can tell you that I've experienced none of these problems. I've used this mouse with a qck+ and later on qck heavy (current). The mouse is flawless and I'm still using an intelli 1.1 today. I started using the 1.1 mouse competitively back in 2002 and I had to purchase another one around 2005 because the left button started to lose contact with the actual click. This one I've had ever since then and it's been working just as well. The amazing thing about these mice is that they're cheap, there is no software, and they just work. As far as tracking problems, I've had to pull some of the quickest mouse strafes of my life and I've never had a problem with it.

Run it at 500hz or more and it will raise perfect control speed to 1.55 m/s. Not stellar, but still better than at 125hz.

Even then, it's still pretty easy to hit that ceiling if you play low-sensitivity for long enough.

stupid forum restrictions...

google search the following: n g o h q windows 7 usb mouse fix

It's the first link

Last edited:
I can recommend the Xai.

Or rather - SS have just released info on their new mouse "Sensei" which is basically a Xai with a few upgrades (maybe why the xai was removed from the american market)

I can recommend the Xai.

Or rather - SS have just released info on their new mouse "Sensei" which is basically a Xai with a few upgrades (maybe why the xai was removed from the american market)

Thanks, I just ordered a Xai from ebay. :) I know the Sensei is coming out but it might be a little more than I want to spend (I have a feeling it will retail more than $100 with the fancy ARM processor etc.) And I got the Xai for $80.

@Colonel Sanders,
How do you compare force needed to click with xai and IMO 1.1? Is it very light to operate too or you need force to click like eg. in sidewinder x3?

Got the xai a few days ago and loving it so far. Overall shape is definitely a little different particularly on the left side opposite my thumb.. it has a very sharp ridge on the sides that is taking some getting used to. Also the side buttons are not as ergo as the IMO. Pretty much impossible to use the left side buttons quickly and smoothly like on the IMO but it mostly makes up for that by having two buttons on each side.

Also I really like the software. It has a lot of tweaks you can do but it saves the settings to the mouse firmware so those settings will be exactly the same from pc to pc without messing with software again. LOVE that feature!

@Colonel Sanders, thank you alot for review.
Can You tell me, top buldge on the middle of the mouse is little beckwards compared to IMO right? But overall mouse is little lower, can you tell me if it fits you? How large are your hands?
I ask because I couldn't find store with that mouse near my place to check it out.

@Colonel Sanders, thank you alot for review.
Can You tell me, top buldge on the middle of the mouse is little beckwards compared to IMO right? But overall mouse is little lower, can you tell me if it fits you? How large are your hands?
I ask because I couldn't find store with that mouse near my place to check it out.

Yeah, it is a little backwards, but I adjusted to that difference very quickly.

Overall it fits me fine, and from every single mouse I have tried (and I have tried just about every decent ambidextrous mouse out there, because I'm a lefty) this one is most similar to the IMO. It is overall about the same size and feel in my palm as the IMO.

The scroll wheel feels better (a little more direct and precise feeling, feels exactly like the wheel on the Deathadder actually) and the slightly rubberized surface on top feels great too.

The only thing that really bugs me about it (that I mentioned in my mini-review) is that it's hard for me to find a comfy way to rest my ring finger. It kind of wants to rest next to my index finger on the left mouse button (right mouse button if you're a right hander) which is obviously awkward, and the only other way is to rest the ring finger on the side directly over the side buttons. That way feels weird too because there's a bigger "V" split between my index and ring finger than I am used to. Currently I am using two fingers on the left button because the other way just feels too weird.

Overall I would say it is a good bet this will satisfy any IMO fan looking for a high quality gaming mouse, but as always your mileage may vary and no matter what it WILL take some getting used to before you make a final decision on keeping it or not.

Back