MS Fixes the Windows 8 Start Menu & Metro issues (just $39.95!)

pxc

Extremely [H]
No, it's not a Windows 7 upgrade. It's a new mouse!

Well, actually it doesn't really solve anything, but Julie Larsen-Green probably thought this was kewl: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013...ke-start-buttons-so-we-put-one-in-your-mouse/

DTRqPcb.jpg

I7qixms.jpg

I really wish this was a joke.

So wait a minute. That blue strip is directly under where your thumb grips the mouse and swiping up on it will cycle you through open applications? :eek: That's going to be a laugh riot. I can imagine the support calls this thing will generate.

Many here call me an MS fanboi, but even I think this is a bad idea.

What a jokes! It is almost scary to think what would happen if they actually thought for once...lol

Huh.... Interesting..... Not too practical, but .... huh.....

I see it as a failure. Not sure how it would do any good.

Huh.... Interesting..... Not too practical, but .... huh.....

I see it as a failure. Not sure how it would do any good.

Can't say I like this mouse but I do get the idea. I use a Microsoft Touch Mouse that came out after Windows 7 and Microsoft did update the firmware and software pretty significantly for Windows 8 and the gestures do make a lot of things faster and easier on the desktop. Swiping between apps and to brining on the Start Screen make things flow very quickly, much more so the hot corners or even an onscreen Start Button I think. So I the idea of a Start Button on the mouse and swiping to switch between Metro apps makes a lot of sense to me since I do these things from a mouse everyday. I wish they'd update the original Touch Mouse with more touch points and gestures..

Can't say I like this mouse but I do get the idea. I use a Microsoft Touch Mouse that came out after Windows 7 and Microsoft did update the firmware and software pretty significantly for Windows 8 and the gestures do make a lot of things faster and easier on the desktop. Swiping between apps and to brining on the Start Screen make things flow very quickly, much more so the hot corners or even an onscreen Start Button I think. So I the idea of a Start Button on the mouse and swiping to switch between Metro apps makes a lot of sense to me since I do these things from a mouse everyday. I wish they'd update the original Touch Mouse with more touch points and gestures..

I get the idea. It's not a bad one. The implementation sucks. I haven't tried it, of course. It's a mouse I'd buy for my Mom, and at that, she'd rarely use it to it's full potential. Maybe to launch the Start Screen, but that's it.

Microsoft's made some good-looking mice, but this...isn't one of them.

If you want a better looking and potentially much more useful Microsoft mouse, get the Touch. But don't get the Touch, because it grossly underperforms with respect to device range and touch registration compared to other touch-oriented mice.

I get the idea. It's not a bad one. The implementation sucks. I haven't tried it, of course. It's a mouse I'd buy for my Mom, and at that, she'd rarely use it to it's full potential. Maybe to launch the Start Screen, but that's it.

I have several touch integrated mice and what I find is that a seamless surface with no buttons or wheels on the top of the most thus leaving a clean surface to perform gestures work best for me, so in that regard I do agree with the implementation lacking.

However, I doubt even the most technically savvy person uses their pointing devices to their fullest potential. Even plain old Synaptics track pads have a zillion features and settings that few use, and there's a lot of options for Synaptic track pads in 8 that can be tinkered with.

One thing that Microsoft does have in its mouse drivers these days is a pretty good tutorial. That's how I learned to use my MS Touch mouse. That is one issue about Windows 8 with it comes to touch pads and mice, they all have different gestures and ways of doing things.

If you want a better looking and potentially much more useful Microsoft mouse, get the Touch. But don't get the Touch, because it grossly underperforms with respect to device range and touch registration compared to other touch-oriented mice.

Ever use the Touch mouse with the latest drivers in Windows 8? I would agree that under Windows 7 the Touch mouse wasn't that good, in fact mine was in the spare mouse drawer soon after I bought it until 8 came out. With 8 and new drivers and firmware it performs significantly better. It's my main work mouse on my Windows 8 desktop though it's not good for gaming.

Ever use the Touch mouse with the latest drivers in Windows 8? I would agree that under Windows 7 the Touch mouse wasn't that good, in fact mine was in the spare mouse drawer soon after I bought it until 8 came out. With 8 and new drivers and firmware it performs significantly better. It's my main work mouse on my Windows 8 desktop though it's not good for gaming.
I'd be more than willing to try it again if that's the case, but I'm really more interested in Bluetooth mice at this time.

I'd be more than willing to try it again if that's the case, but I'm really more interested in Bluetooth mice at this time.

I do like the convenience of Bluetooth mice but few mice I like support it. The MS Touch mouse uses a micro-sized USB dongle and it has a carrying compartment in the mouse itself so it is portable.

LOL...reminds me of finding a problem nobody has then coming up with a solution. :p

Yeah, more like creating a problem nobody had the finding a silly solution.

* Everybody loves the Start button - Lets get rid of the Start button.
* Everybody is pissed there is no Start button - Lets put out a mouse with a Start button on it.

jackie-chan-wtf-face-i16.jpg

Back