MS changes its ways

"Once you upgrade and activate Windows for the first time, you can perform subsequent clean installs without having to track down your product key."

Never had to track down my product key because it is stored with the install media.

"In Windows 10, your PC's activation status is stored in the cloud, so once you've activated Windows 10 for the first time, you won't have to worry about it ever again."

Until their "cloud" crashes and then you are fucked.

"Once you upgrade and activate Windows for the first time, you can perform subsequent clean installs without having to track down your product key."

Never had to track down my product key because it is stored with the install media.

"In Windows 10, your PC's activation status is stored in the cloud, so once you've activated Windows 10 for the first time, you won't have to worry about it ever again."

Until their "cloud" crashes and then you are fucked.

Well, what happens if you are offline. Like at 30,000 feet and you don't want to pay the ripoff prices for in-plane WiFi? Or you are on an Amtrak train that goes into a tunnel?

if you need to reinstall at 30k feet then I'd say you have bigger issues than net connectivity.

Well, what happens if you are offline. Like at 30,000 feet and you don't want to pay the ripoff prices for in-plane WiFi? Or you are on an Amtrak train that goes into a tunnel?
...it installs and operates unactivated for an amount of time. It does not have to OH MY GOD ACTIVATE RIGHT THIS SECOND OR I'M CRASHING THIS PLANE.

And install W10 at the same time? :p

Hey, when was the last time you were stranded overnight in Dallas-Ft. Worth due to thunderstorm activity and all the airline did was give you a cot? :mad:

Thank heavens, that makes life a whole lot easier. Countless people bring their computer in to be worked on and don't have a key or media and the machine won't boot. Fun times with previous Windows...

Keep in mind that OEM (System Builder) versions do use a key. Not sure how these versions do a reload after they are activated, ie. if you still need to put the key in or not. (likely you will)

Keep in mind that OEM (System Builder) versions do use a key. Not sure how these versions do a reload after they are activated, ie. if you still need to put the key in or not. (likely you will)
Gah, then never mind; over the past few years, we're batting about .600 in working on systems that don't have the key labeled properly or are torn/illegible.

Back