MS certified Exchange class

theDreamer

2[H]4U
My office is wanting to get me certified in MS Exchange plus anything else that would be essential and I am looking for some help on where to look (locally of course), I am in Houston, Texas. My office is a small office (about 20 users currently), the exchange server is located in the UK with our parent company, but this is where they want me to start.
I am looking for some input, as I am a bit new into network/security with a business, on where to go and have my office help me. My current computer knowledge is mostly consumer level parts/setups, but for the past three years while working for this company I have taken the control in handling any small computer issues, basic computer repair, new system setups, etc. Now they want someone who can manage more as we grow and possibly give us options into expansion without having to worry about computer/network support from the UK which is getting difficult to even get.

Thanks for any help.

Edit: Have found Microsoft's website about classes/practice test/etc.
Are there any good books to help begin my research or should I just go to a library and start grabbing what I can and read?

Last edited:
You should hire an MCSE or MCITP: Enterprise Administrator (depending on your version of exchange) part time to train you.

That would get the most bang for your buck in my opinion. Unless you plan to get MCSE certified yourself doing a single cert is kinda pointless.

Grab the basics of the test from Microsoft and go from there.

Here is the problem I have with Microsoft tests:

Most of the test questions are based on theory and not really real world scenarios, thus its a bit confusing. Hiring an MCP in Exchange, not really recommended as it would be a waste of time.

Grab one of the Microsoft MCSE books on Exchange, study it, run a VM of Exchange so you can run through the scenarios without breaking your production server.

Study and study and also try to break your VM and fix it.

Hiring an MCP in Exchange, not really recommended as it would be a waste of time.
You didn't read my post. I said an MCSE or MCITP: Enterprise Administrator. Those are far different than an MCP in Exchange.

Hiring an MCP would be a waste of time. Hiring an MCSE consultant with real world experience would not.

Either way it is a waste. You want to hire me @ $120/hr? give me a call.

Go get a good book... build some virtual servers under VMware or something and work with it.

I've got an MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator cert. You can hire me if you want. £300 an hour?

If you fancy being a bit more realistic then I'd start by picking up the MCTS 70-236 book and if your company feels like stretching then get the CBT nuggets class for the 70-236.

I'll be honest, unless your doing massive deployments then the 236 is all you'll need. 237 isn't a very useful exam and 238 is a pretty difficult deployment exam.

I'm reluctant to recommend a full blown course because they can be very hit and miss. If you want to go for a course then make sure you get it via word of mouth.

Edit: If you fancy going for exchange 2010 then I think microsoft has dropped the MCITP:EMA cert to two exams because the equivalent of the 237 has been dropped or amalgamated in to the other exam.

Edit again: I've also got an MCSE and an MCITP:Enterprise Admin cert so all your bases are covered for that £300. However I can't see why you would want to hire an MCSE or MCITP:EA over someone who has actually done some work on exchange. Exchange isn't a requirment for either of tose certifications.

Back