MS Brings games to Steam

<typicalresponse>boo M$ boo lol @ win10 fail store hurdurr, why did they go with $team and not (insert other game store) waaahhhh</typicalresponse>

Good move but we all know this is likely because the studios are loosing money by selling on the One and Windows store only. If I recall Remedy was in a bad spot after Quantum Break.

<typicalresponse>boo M$ boo lol @ win10 fail store hurdurr, why did they go with $team and not (insert other game store) waaahhhh</typicalresponse>

Microsoft has made a lot of mistakes over the years, I don't necessarily blame people for having the opinion they do. That said, they also have been making great strides recently to correct their mistakes. Hopefully people are smart enough to realize this. Microsoft has a lot of money and has the potential to push out some really great games if they continue to act in the interest of players. We'd be wise to show them their efforts are worth while.

I'm not gonna lie, the Microsoft Store kinda sucks balls, especially in comparison to Steam. This seems like a good move for gamers.

I'm not gonna lie, the Microsoft Store kinda sucks balls, especially in comparison to Steam. This seems like a good move for gamers.
Agreed, anyone remember the atrocity that was games for windows live? Everytime MS starts fucking with PC gaming ideas I get scared that GFWL will return like it's the fucking boogie man or shark from jaws lol.

I have to give Microsoft some kudos for this. Hopefully they'll bring both upcoming and existing exclusives (like Sea of Thieves for instance, which has has apparently been updated No Man's Sky style to the point its now quite good; it could really use the larger Steam playerbase!) to Steam. The announcement they made about "giving people choice in PC gaming" may or may not be anything more than PR drivel, but it does at least lay a verbal smack to those (most visibly Epic) who push for store/platform exclusivity.

Perhaps Microsoft realizes they'd rather people buy games they publish on Steam, than on the Microsoft Store or more likely not at all, and that's a pragmatic choice that's also good for everyone involved. Steam has a great track record with MS titles old and new (ie Age of Empires remastered series, Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive Edition) after all, and I know there are many excitedly awaiting the PC release on Steam of the remastered complete Halo collection, for instance. While I'm not particularly holding my breath, it would be ideal if MS could start offering Linux clients for these titles, in light of their supposed "We love Linux now that we've gone onto Cloud/SaaS stuff)".

While I doubt I'll be able to shake my bias entirely being a Linux-favoring guy who remembers 90's Microsoft (and isn't a fan of Windows 10s more spying/app store/UWP features), they've made some decent strides as well. Peripherals have been a great success for MS and players as well, to the point that the Xbox (360 previously and now One) Controller is more or less the preferred gamepad style on PC. Plenty of people who don't own Xboxes own XboxOne controllers for PC use, because Microsoft made both the hardware and the API/SDK for the drivers useful - XInput controllers work flawlessly even on Linux! This is to say nothing about their adaptive controller which is a great idea and will probably make gaming much more accessible for many. Sony and Nintendo on the other hand nearly ignored PC users and though their controllers can work, everything is 3rd party and much more fragmented, leading most to prefer an XInput supporting Xbox One style controller (though I should mention that Steam has done a lot to support all sorts of controllers in general and its own Steam Controller is quite excellent).

After the mediocre generational experience with the Xbox One and the recent stumbles on PC, perhaps Microsoft is starting to see gaming more like their peripherals, choosing to cast an open, wider net instead of an integrated proprietary experience. If this is the case, I can only hope things continue moving that way.

I have to give Microsoft some kudos for this. Hopefully they'll bring both upcoming and existing exclusives (like Sea of Thieves for instance, which has has apparently been updated No Man's Sky style to the point its now quite good; it could really use the larger Steam playerbase!) to Steam. The announcement they made about "giving people choice in PC gaming" may or may not be anything more than PR drivel, but it does at least lay a verbal smack to those (most visibly Epic) who push for store/platform exclusivity.

Perhaps Microsoft realizes they'd rather people buy games they publish on Steam, than on the Microsoft Store or more likely not at all, and that's a pragmatic choice that's also good for everyone involved. Steam has a great track record with MS titles old and new (ie Age of Empires remastered series, Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive Edition) after all, and I know there are many excitedly awaiting the PC release on Steam of the remastered complete Halo collection, for instance. While I'm not particularly holding my breath, it would be ideal if MS could start offering Linux clients for these titles, in light of their supposed "We love Linux now that we've gone onto Cloud/SaaS stuff)".

While I doubt I'll be able to shake my bias entirely being a Linux-favoring guy who remembers 90's Microsoft (and isn't a fan of Windows 10s more spying/app store/UWP features), they've made some decent strides as well. Peripherals have been a great success for MS and players as well, to the point that the Xbox (360 previously and now One) Controller is more or less the preferred gamepad style on PC. Plenty of people who don't own Xboxes own XboxOne controllers for PC use, because Microsoft made both the hardware and the API/SDK for the drivers useful - XInput controllers work flawlessly even on Linux! This is to say nothing about their adaptive controller which is a great idea and will probably make gaming much more accessible for many. Sony and Nintendo on the other hand nearly ignored PC users and though their controllers can work, everything is 3rd party and much more fragmented, leading most to prefer an XInput supporting Xbox One style controller (though I should mention that Steam has done a lot to support all sorts of controllers in general and its own Steam Controller is quite excellent).

After the mediocre generational experience with the Xbox One and the recent stumbles on PC, perhaps Microsoft is starting to see gaming more like their peripherals, choosing to cast an open, wider net instead of an integrated proprietary experience. If this is the case, I can only hope things continue moving that way.

I'm 100% sure its PR fluff. Spencer is the right person to run the gaming division and he both seems to genuinely love games and has done a lot of good things since taking over, but his job is still to sell games. I'd be willing to bet he was forced into the Windows Store exclusivity, but his desire to sell games on more platforms is sales and money motivated.

I would want to sell on as many storefronts/launchers as possible. They failed to make the Windows storefront a mainstream competitor to Steam. Only makes sense that they start selling on Steam. Though I would prefer they sold on more storefronts than just their own and Steam. I may only use gog and steam, but I recognize that the more choices we have in where we get games, the better it is for us gamers.

I would want to sell on as many storefronts/launchers as possible. They failed to make the Windows storefront a mainstream competitor to Steam. Only makes sense that they start selling on Steam. Though I would prefer they sold on more storefronts than just their own and Steam. I may only use gog and steam, but I recognize that the more choices we have in where we get games, the better it is for us gamers.

Did you actually read the article? Direct quote from it just in case
"Steam is seemingly the first step along the road to a multi-store rollout for Microsoft. "We know millions of PC gamers trust Steam as a great source to buy PC games and we’ve heard the feedback that PC gamers would like choice. We also know that there are other stores on PC, and we are working to enable more choice in which store you can find our Xbox Game Studios titles in the future," Spencer wrote. A future where Microsoft's games end up on GOG or the Epic Games Store doesn't seem unlikely, then."

Microsoft could have made the Windows Store a really good place to purchase games from. That said, although it is not going anywhere, they are not really putting any direct effort into it, other than a few of their first party titles. Therefore, at least for Microsoft, this would end up being a easier move for them at this point.

Back