Mr. Selector, pick one please!

Hey all, have a new flat mate moving in soon, stating they want wireless. What better excuse to upgrade my current crappy network rig, right? So below i have pasted a couple of routers/switches supplied by my local store, ive read the sticky and well a lot, of them don't seem to be available to me locally.
Need a device that is wireless, duh; preferably has an on board switch that can handle four or so pc's, will run a lan game with the above amount of pc's comfortably, torrent a reactively weak flow but capable of handling something a little more when i upgrade my net plan all without crapping out. Speaking of crapping out, i run my current router for about 12 hrs a day so i want one that is proven, reliable and wont burn my house down. :(
Essentially i want to be able to plug it into the filter and be able to start browsing, if you think a router switch combo could be on the go, well let me know.
The coverage and signal strength doesn't need to be too substantial it only has to pass through 2 or 3 walls. I would like to make a reasonable investment in it and get something that will keep on keeping on. And, if all else fails i guess i will have to order the winning recommendation from another store if my local cannot do it.
So without further ado the choices, if you'd like, please leave your reason for selecting the device...

Asus WL-600G Wireless ADSL2+4 Ports+USB Ports

Netcomm NB6 / NB6W / NB6+4W

Netcomm NB9 VOIP / NB9W

Netgear DM111P/DG834/DG834G /DG834PN

Netgear RP614

D-Link DSL-502T / 504T / G604T ADSL

Netgear RP614

Linksys BEFSR41

Asus RX-3041/WL-520G /550GE /WL-566GM MIMO

Billion 5200 / 5200G / 7300 / 7300G

Linksys WRT54G / WRT150N / WRT350N

Billion 7401VGPM / 7404VGPM / 7404VGOM

D-Link DI-524 / DI-524UP / DI-624 / DI-624S

Linksys AM300+ / AG241+ / AG300

Netgear WGR614 /WPN824 /WNR834B

Linksys WAG200G / WAG54G / WAG325N

ok every mention/product in that post is substandard, but. if i dont say D-Link DIR-655, does no one care?

I cant help much, but...

Based on personal experience, stay away from the older DLink line (524, 624). Both of htese products drove me nuts....

New 655 = Good
Old 624 = Bad

FWIW

why...beacuse they dropped packets? needed to be reset? why'd you hate them? im just trying to paint a landscape of whats available to me.

Another vote for the DIR-655, and this is coming from a guy who was using a WRT54G V1.1 flashed with DD-WRT.

ok looks like the 655 is the go, do i need a modem for this or should just be able to plug it in and go?

ok looks like the 655 is the go, do i need a modem for this or should just be able to plug it in and go?
Always, always, always get separate devices. The DIR-655 is a stand-alone router so you will need a stand-alone modem, which is usually provided by your ISP.

ok correct me if im wrong with this one, i have a generic router modem from my isp see below, run that into the router and we shoud be go yeah?

does anone know a good sticky/site for modern modems only.
i understand the noun modem is a bit of a misnomer, i understand the concept of a router clearley however is still not sure what a modem is exactly, im guessing what i think is a modem is really a router/modem

will a siemens speed stream 4200 do the job of a modem. along with the 655 as the router will this suffice and complete the network?

ok correct me if im wrong with this one, i have a generic router /modem from my isp see below, run that into the router and we shoud be go yeah?
Wall ---> Modem --- > Router ---> Computer(s)

does anone know a good sticky/site for modern modems only.
i understand the noun modem is a bit of a misnomer, i understand the concept of a router clearley however is still not sure what a modem is exactly, im guessing what i think is a modem is really a router/modem
It's often easier to think of a modem as a media converter; it takes one format of data and transmits it in another. Standard dial-up modems and fax-modems take digital data and break it down into an analog format for transmissal over standard analog phone lines through a process called modulation. DSL and Cable modems operate in a very similar function except that they operate on different frequencies and use a much more complex technique.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modem

A "router" works by forwarding/directing (not converting) data from one point to another. It operates the borders between one network and another, e.g. 192.168.100.1 and 64.233.169.99 (www.google.com); when one network needs to speak to another, a router facilitates this connection.

Another example would be: "Jan" and "Rick" work for a large corporation headquartered downtown; this company employs 600 people in this one office. "Jan" needs to send something from the second floor accounting office to "Rick" in legal, who resides on the fifth floor. Jan's computer has an IP of 192.168.102.158 while Rick's computer is 192.168.105.148 . The fifth floor workgroup printer is 192.168.100.224 . In order for Jan to send Rick a file, she connects to a server that has an IP address of 192.168.100.124 and uploads the file. Rick then connects to the same server and prints the document on the workgroup printer on his floor. This would not be possible without a router as a router allows the data to traverse these discrete networks of IP addresses.

Pardon the over-simplification. Read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Router

A combination device or all-in-one contains both a router and a modem, however each remain discrete in function. You should avoid all-in-one devices on your network as things change; you may need to update your modem to support a new standard or it may simply burn out. Best to have the router and modem as two separate components.

will a siemens speed stream 4200 do the job of a modem. along with the 655 as the router will this suffice and complete the network?
It's best to get your modem from your ISP, especially with DSL, as providers are often very picky about what they do and don't support and will allow on their network. It's pretty easy to recommend a cable modem as many providers use standards but DSL is still all over the place. The last thing you want to do is buy a modem and have your ISP not allow it on their network.

As for completing your network: If you want to support more than four wired computers you may need a switch in addition to a modem and router. For most home networks though, a router and modem is all you need.

well, she's all up and running.
thanks to all who contributed, especially Orinthical.
the last question would be a network manager, anyone know a good open source one? is there thread i could check out?
running a trial of network magic and thats pretty handy, any links threads or recommendations appreciated...
thanks again!

Back